My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting a new lawn tractor either this fall or next spring. I have about 0.75 acres of lawn that I have mowed with my old GX85 (30" cut) for the last two summers. The back 3/4 or so is mostly flat with a septic mound while the remaining area in the front yard has an area with some slopes and a ditch. I'm just able to go up and along the slopes with the mower that I currenly use, so I'm hoping that anything I get would be able to do the same?

What models should I be looking at? I'd like something with a 42" deck or bigger to cut down on my mowing time. I don't plan on using the mower to snow blow as I have a walk behind or do much hauling besides a sweeper that I use a few times in the spring.

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Price will guide you somewhat. If price is an issue, I think he D130 is a great value at $1,899. 22hp v-twin, nice seat, large tires, 42" deck, hydro trans.

If you can spend more and want a more deluxe and heavier-duty machine, then look X300. $2,999 w/ 42" deck but built on a heavier frame and tighter turning radius.

And then of course a nice used machine might do for you as well. Anything in the old LX line, a GT225, or a used X300.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Any of the D series should handle the job. Getting a hydro model like the D110 will do want you are asking about. If you want bigger with more features, there are higher priced models to pick from. The select series like the x300 are a lot better built but more money. It all depends on your budget I guess.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Just a FYI, he's coming off a GX85 RER !!!!!!! :ROF
And yes I can laugh!! My brother just bought a used one and there is a RX85 sitting in KATT's garage ( in many pieces and a bad Hydro)

·
It's not easy being green
348 Posts
Let your wallet be your guide. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it worth spending an extra ~$1,000 or so to step up to the X300 series? I'm just not sure considering what my intended uses are for it.

A concern with the lower D series is the hydro transmission, but it looks to me like the lower X300's have these same hydros in them?

Also just came across this used LX288 posted near my area. Planning on giving him a call to check the year and hours on it. Looking for some input on this model. What newer models would this be comparable to? Thanks all!

http://appleton.craigslist.org/grd/2603145542.html

·
Registered
166 Posts
Is it worth spending an extra ~$1,000 or so to step up to the X300 series? I'm just not sure considering what my intended uses are for it.

A concern with the lower D series is the hydro transmission, but it looks to me like the lower X300's have these same hydros in them?

Also just came across this used LX288 posted near my area. Planning on giving him a call to check the year and hours on it. Looking for some input on this model. What newer models would this be comparable to? Thanks all!

Hi JohnDeereGreene,

I just recently went through the same thought process as you and settled on a new X320 that has the beefier K58 tranny, although it's still not serviceable (at least not supposed to be but can be done). I had the opportunity to purchase a used GT with about 500 hours on it but I didn't really know the service history and the 4 year warranty on a new Select tractor was important to me.

I wouldn't worry about the non-serviceable lower end transmissions because if you search around here and the web you'll find many people with K46s and K58s who have removed them from the tractor and serviced them with a few parts and clean oil and they're back in business for many more mowing seasons for probably around a hundred bucks. It doesn't really look that hard if you have even just slightest amount of mechanical ability. Support from Tuff Torq is supposed to be very good and they sell rebuild kits for all of their transmissions.

Some guys here have even upgraded their lower end tractor with full blown GT transmissions after the original wore out.

I think the most important thing with longevity of these machines is to buy what will do the job well for you, take care of it and don't use it beyond what it's rated for (be mindful of any limitations). I for instance never intend on doing any heavy ground engaging or pulling tree stumps with my X320. If I ever have need for more tractor down the road, I'll sell mine and upgrade.

Good luck, let us know what you decide!

NP

·
Another Day in Paradis...
1,862 Posts

The X320 steps the tranny up to a K58, which would have longer life (not ground-engaging, but still stouter) using it with hills. But it's also twice the price of a D130... Watch CL if you are open to buying used.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,299 Posts
A 42" deck is quite a bit bigger than the 30" you are used to. Will it fit in between stuff, thru any gates or doorways you have? Remember that is 42" of cutting and about another 12" of discharge guard. Also, you mentioned the septic mound in the back yard. Are the changes in slope such that the 42" deck will scalp where the 30" didn't? As far as how much to spend, since you are coming off a small rear engine ridre that is currently doing the job ok, I would think most any of the current "D" series tractors would be a significant upgrade to what you are used to as long as the deck will work for you. I only mention it, because most folks don't think about the possible problems a bigger mower deck can generate, all they see are the positives of getting the job done faster.

·
Another Day in Paradis...
1,862 Posts
The X320 steps the tranny up to a K58, which would have longer life (not ground-engaging, but still stouter) using it with hills. But it's also twice the price of a D130... Watch CL if you are open to buying used.
And for the record, the entire D-series line uses basically the same tranny as the X300 and X304 - the T40 in the lower D-series and the K46 in the rest.

A year and a half ago, I went from a Honda RER to a an X320. Difference was night and day in every way.

·
Super Moderator
33,752 Posts
There is a member on here that bought a D140 and was using it for "commercial" mowing and she wasn't having any problems. Haven't seen her post for a while though!

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I don't plan on using the mower to snow blow as I have a walk behind
might want to think about the future though (as these things last 20+ years) the tractor blowers are amazing! still need a small walk behind for touchup work...

I used a walk behind for years and considered getting a 48" walk behind for my new driveway. I just never had any experience with a tractor blower, glad I tried the tractor blower, now I would never do it without one...

just something to consider...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all of the advice guys! :thanku:

Looks like for my needs the D series tractors are going to be just fine. I am somewhat curious what differences I might notice going with the D130 or up models that have the v-twin engine vs the lower models and their single cylinder? Something durability, noise, or efficiency-wise possibly?

·
Citizen of Earth
15,299 Posts
The twin cylinder motors will use more gas, but they are quieter and smoother running.

·
The Gate Keeper
1,181 Posts
Clearly you need a SCUT or a CUT to effectively get the job done. :drunkie:

People are always saying that we are always trying to talk people into more tractor than what they need, but this thread is proving those people wrong. Great job guys!!!! :thThumbsU

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been using a D130 since early this spring on a 2 acre lot with about a quarter of it below a 20 foot bluff with 30 degree gravel logging road. it has handled it flawlessly all summer so far. The Lower portion is lake front and I haul all my fishing gear as well as deep cycle batteries for my trolling motor with the cart up and down that hill. again no problems. How many years will it last, don't know but it goes up that steep slope without any hesitation at all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like I have my selection down to either the D130 or D140. The price difference is only $100 to go up to the 48" deck. It also looks like the deck on the D140 has 4 wheels on it (I assume those are to help prevent scalping?) which would probably help when cutting around my ditch and mound. Not sure if the 48" deck might be a bit overkill for my yard though...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Looks like I have my selection down to either the D130 or D140. The price difference is only $100 to go up to the 48" deck. It also looks like the deck on the D140 has 4 wheels on it (I assume those are to help prevent scalping?) which would probably help when cutting around my ditch and mound. Not sure if the 48" deck might be a bit overkill for my yard though...
If it will fit around your yard and obstacles I'd go with the 48" for only $100 that's slam dunk. And yes those wheels are to minimize scalping.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Sounds like you can't go wrong with either one. If the 48" inch deck wouldn't cause any problems with gates or other obstacles I say go for it. :trink39:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts