My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to MTF but have been lurking around reading a lot of the great information available on this site from the technical to the amusing and figured it was time to get some feedback. I'll apologize now for the long winded post

I'm looking at purchasing a used lawn tractor and I'm really hopeful that someone can steer me one way or the other with logical pros and cons, or at least tell me to flip a coin that they are basically the same machines. I looked at the new machines at the big box stores but for the price of those they just seemed flimsy and poorly constructed, and I'm really keen on a good engine so I'm leaning used, which you'll see below (budget is also a concern...)

First off, the intended purpose
I have about 1/2 acre or 3/4 acre of relatively flat residential yard, no ditches, stumps, or timber to speak of. I already have a snow blower and no need for tilling or tearing out stumps. Just need something that can pull a small thatcher and mow the yard clean and flat with some degree of reliablility that with regular maintenance will last for a while

First up
2001 Husqvarna YTH1542xp
15 HP Kawasaki dual cylinder
486 hours
42" deck with the bagger (I probably won't use the bagger ever)
$995 + tax
They are taking it into the shop this week to look at the hydro and deck, sharpen blades, etc.
It is a good machine, clean and the engine was immaculate

Next
2001 JD LT155
16 HP Kohler Command single cylinder
No hour meter, but the person who traded it in bought it new at the dealership and live in town so it wasn't used for farming or running up hills or anything
38" deck
$950 + tax
They already changed all the oil, sharpened blades, cleaned and changed the filters, etc
It is also a good machine, and I'm looking at it tomorrow

Third
2007 JD L111
20 HP B&S V-Twin dual cylinder
130 hours
Individual seller, lawn is pretty flat but big though it appears taken care of
42" deck
$950 cash in hand
No guarantee on what work was done on it

Fourth
2007 Husqvarna YTH2148
Replaced this year with a 27 HP B&S ELS dual cylinder (two year warranty on the engine)
2 hours on the engine
Brand new engine, not much to fix, but they have sharpened and balanced the blades, etc.
$1150 + tax

Fifth
2007 Simplicity Regent
15 HP Kohler Courage
30 hours
Trade in on a bigger machine
38" deck
$1300 + tax
Trying to stay away from the Courage because of what I've read on this forum

Finally
There are a couple of early 90's Simplicity Broadmore's running B&S Vanguard engines for $900, though I have not seen them yet and there is no telling what shape the engine is in. I'm leaning toward the YTH1542xp and the LT155 because of the price and the engines are bullet proof from what I've read

I know this was terribly long, but please let me know your opinions as I'll most likely pick one of these up next week

Thanks in advance for all the great advice !!!

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I think you are leaning in the right direction.
Of course, I'm going to tell you to go into the green light.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Of all the ones you mentioned I only like one engine in the bunch. I am not a fan of but would recommend the husky because of the kawasaki engine.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I like no. 1 but that's alot of hours for that hydro (K46 I believe). No. 3 sounds good as well if it has been well cared for and not abused.

You have a relatively small, flat lot and no plans for hard usage - have you considered a new tractor, something in the sub $3K range?

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I would be inclined to go with the JD LT155 if it's in good shape. I like the Kawasaki engines really well also. I think the JD LT might be a little more better constructed than the Husq. Look them all over very carfeully and test drive them. Get the one that makes you smile the most. slkpk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone for the great replies so far. I'm down to the YTH1542xp or the LT155. I've looked at both and I'm going to head down to both dealerships again.

The Husqvarna looks to be the cleaner machine, Kawasaki engine is in great shape, fires up on the first try, mower deck is rust free and in great shape, but there isn't a dealer around me that has parts on hand. Sure, parts can be ordered but they aren't as convenient as the Deere dealers around me

The LT155 is being sold by a small dealership about 30 miles away. This tractor was a little more beat up than the Husqvarna, a little more rust, dirt in the engine, but this Kohler started up right away and though a little noisier than the Kawasaki, seemed to be in good shape. A few dealerships mentioned that while the twin cylinder engine may be quieter and smoother it is also more expensive to work on and no more or less likely to break down than the single cylinder

So I'm wondering what the differences are between two mowers made the same year (2001), and if there is a striking pro or con that I might be overlooking. I think at this point I'm at paralysis by analysis and just need to flip a coin, but I'm hoping for the clouds to part and show me the way...

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Take them both for a spin on the lawn. A good running machine that does lousey at mowing is no bargain. Does the 'cab' feel comfortable to you. Are the controls easy to reach? Could you spend several hours in the 'cab' while mowing? Is the 'cup holder' close at hand?
You've got a blower, so do I. I went out and got a simple plow (42 inch) for my tractor. The blower didn't move last winter. Can your 'new' tractor support a light weight snow plow? Makes shoveling snow that much more fun. Next question, are plows available? You'll need wheel weights and chains for that plow, too.
Going to pull a trailer? They're useful.
Got storage?
Check the quality of the mower deck, steel thickness, etc. I have 2 decks in my shop presently, the difference is like 'plastic' and 'steel'. Both are made by Craftsman; one 1980 vintage, other 2000 vintage.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
From your list, I would look at the Deere LT155. Reasons? I like the single cylinder Kohlers, I like Deere machines, and the LT was a pretty good one, I have a good Deere dealer 1/2 hour away.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Of all the ones you mentioned I only like one engine in the bunch. I am not a fan of but would recommend the husky because of the kawasaki engine.
Yep, I'll :ditto: that.

Between it and the LT155, I'd take the Kaw. engine over a Kohler anytime.

BTW :MTF_wel:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts