My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to remove and replace the pto clutch on my old Cub 2166 due to now it's stuck always engaged and need your advice. I thought about letting the dealer do it but not sure if they would offer to use any other than the oem Cub replacement unit which itself is over $400.00.

In the event the dealer is just too high to perform the job compared to the value of the tractor this was plan B:
1. Not having an impact wrench I thought about using my 1/2" breaker bar in combination with a pipe wrench around the drive shaft propped against the frame to remove the crankshaft bolt. Will this work or should I break down and buy a cordless/corded impact wrench; if so please recommend one that will not break the bank as it would most likely never be used again.
2. Will I need a gear puller to the remove the old pto clutch and if so looking for suggestions for an economical puller that will most likely be used just this once.
3. I can get a pto clutch from xtreme https://xtremeope.com/page/search-results/#/?Customfieldmanufacturer=Cub Cadet&keywords=917-3446 for less than half of the oem Cub. I read many of you are using them and wanted to know if they're holding up well?

I do not have any experience with pto clutch removal/replacement so any suggestions/tips you will offer on how to tackle this job will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Rudy.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Can you rent a 1/2" electric impact wrench? There likely won't be any shaft to grab and a pipe wrench will chew it anyway. The clutch should drop off once the bolt is removed, it may need assistance with a shot of Moovit or something similar.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you rent a 1/2" electric impact wrench? There likely won't be any shaft to grab and a pipe wrench will chew it anyway. The clutch should drop off once the bolt is removed, it may need assistance with a shot of Moovit or something similar.
Thanks Roy, I may can rent one and will check this week. It is a horizontal shaft engine and the clutch has been on it for 16 years, that's why I was thinking about a puller.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Xtreme is what I was going to recommend or at least Oregon or stens. I will never buy a clutch form manufacturer as almost all of them were made by Warner anyway.

Many have a two flat spots right above bolt to hold with big adjustable or pliers.
Many time they are not that tight so you might get it with hand holding and a rag.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dont hate me for recomending this, but the 1/2 cordless impact from harbor frieght should be enough to loosen that bolt, or like tobyu said you can hold them if they have a flat spot. Make sure you unplug it before you loosen the bolt. Sometimes they slide off a little easier than expected and your left with wires pulled out from the plug. Check ebay for a used one if your looking to save some cash.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah team! Before buying an impact wrench, gear puller and ordering a pto clutch I double checked the wiring first, did a little "electrical engineering" this morning and it's operating normally. Don't know how long it will last but it engages/disengages just fine now.:thThumbsU

I did talk to the Cub dealer and he does use/recommend the Xtreme clutch so if/when it goes completely down he'll give me a quote to replace it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts