My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On our way to church last evening, I saw a Wheel horse sitting on a trailer beside the road. Only had a minute to stop, so took a quick look. It was not there after church, and it appeared no one was home, so I did not get to see it again...but called and set up an appointment to see it later this morning. I am not overly fond of the gear drive, but it would work...just my own preference.

I am not familiar with this model. When was it made? Also, it appears the rear tires have rubbed on the front of the fenders. Other than the possibility he added a bit larger tire, does anyone have an idea why this would have happened?

It looked very clean other than that. Also, it has a powerflow bagger. Anything good or bad concerning that unit? Do these have a plastic or metal blower fan? I have seen both from different manufacturers, and prefer the metal fan.

He is selling for $1500 firm...good or bad price?

Thanks

·
Taurus SHO guy
22 Posts
Probably a good idea. If it also had a plow and/or tiller then it would be more worth it but $1500 seems a little high to me unless the trailer was included too :) . But that's just me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thats too bad no one got back to you in time. You missed out on a really nice machine for a decent price, provided that was in good shape. According to an online reference document, the 315-8 was made in 2002 thru 2007 thus ending of the classic W.H. tractor chassis design since 1973 including the durable unidrive transmission. Because of this, it can fit most all the attachments onto it from the B, C, 300, 400 and 500 series throughout the years. W.H. even had special 60th anniversary decals for the final 2007 year of the 315-8.
The power vacuum bagger impeller is made out of the steel, however the weakness is in the plastic impeller housing. As long as there are no cracks in the housing where it attaches onto the mower deck, it should be in good shape. These are available for the 42" and 48" side discharge decks only.
I have a 1999 314-8 which is pretty much the same tractor and the only thing that bugs me is the wide turning radius while mowing around trees and landscaping, and the high range 2nd gear speed for mowing is a little slower than compared to a hydro. Other than that it'll perform the ground-engaging attachments with no problems.
Maybe you should go and take another look at it, if it's still there...
Good luck
-BK

EDIT- I just re-read your post about the tire rubbing on the fender. Not too sure about that. Too big of a tire or maybe the fender is bent downward ?? I believe the rear tires were 23x9.5x12, but maybe some one can clarify that for us.

·
Oldbie
1,605 Posts
[QUOTE and the high range 2nd gear speed for mowing is a little slower than compared to a hydro.[/QUOTE]

Hey Bk.....put it in third! lol

$1500 a nice price??? Geezzzz... I paid $300 for mine .... Seems wayyyy high to me unless it had low hours/great condition.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
A clean 315-8, with a strong well maintained CH15S Kohler Command, and clean gear oil, with a good quiet deck is a good deal in the 1200-1500 range.

I happily paid 1300 for my 93 Model 416-H with 42" deck and brand new Brinly plow with brand new in box clevis hitch, and the unit had 700 hours on it, but was mint.

The only drawback of the 315 was it had a hellacious safety circuit, which included a magneticly actuated neutral switch...hate the safety circuit on those things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts