My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for input and info. My little two acres is generating more yard waste then I expected but I don't want to haul it off and pay to dump it. I'm trying to compost it for use in the vegtable garden I've been planning for maybe even get it started next spring.

I want to start shredding the yard waste this fall, and also shred whats in the heap now to get it to break down quicker. My waste is mostly leaves, some grass and decorative landscaping that I cut back in the fall. I get some branch but so far nothing over 4".

Looking around on craigslist there are some older hammer mill shredders made by Kemp (out of business) model K8CH and MacKissic model 12P.

They look like they are built like brick out houses, the Kemp especially. My concern with the Kemp is the lack of parts availabilty MacKissic is still in business so parts are not a problem.

There's a MacKissic not too far from me with a siezed 9HP Briggs engine $150.00. I can pickup a used engine cheap enough. There's a PTO driven Roto-Hoe 8PT too that looks very similar to both but, I can't find much of anything out there about it. Doesen't seem like PTO models aren't that different than the gas engine driven models. I don't see why a gas engine couldn't be rigged to a PTO model.

I'm not seeing anything comprable new on than the those on MacKissic's or the "Merry Mac" at Northern Tool which are also made by MacKissic.

I'd rather fix up good old stuff than pay two grand for new.

Need some advice on what to look for when looking at older shredders. Problem areas, particular parts that need to be in good shape, and any critical parts or accessories that shouldn't be missing and if they are I should walk away. Are there sources for parts and manuals for the Roto-Hoe or Kemp shredders?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
28,851 Posts
The feed hoppers on the older MacKissics tend to split some, they can be repaired by welding normally. Other than that it seems pretty bullet proof. I would recommend one that has the side hopper for "cutting" limbs rather than feeding the bigger limbs through the hammermill. Here is a quick video of mine doing some small limbs, you can see the crack in the middle of the front lip of the hopper.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. After watching your video I see what you mean about the side hopper for limbs, lots of stuff jumping out of that top hopper.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I love my roto hoe 500. 5HP predator and sharpened chipper blades and a homemade shield over the hopper and it terrifies anything smaller than 1 1/2 inches!!

As long as the material for the hopper is dry.

Wet stuff means plugs. Dry stuff gets pulverized.

Saw an old internet page about shredding (?) glass. Saw one that used the 500 for separating wheat and chaff.

Parts are basic metal: bearings from local bearing shop. Don't lose your spacers when you sharpen the hammers, something I did: I reversed the hammer rotation...don't try it. Plugged up.

Get one with 4 wheels. Find a way to modify the handle/hitch so the motor doesn't get hit when you try to fold the handle up or trip you when you lay it down for processing.

Don't give the parts machine to your brother who will leave it out in the rain.

Get the largest machine you can. Two if you want a back up.

There's a 500 manual here on MTF somewhere.

Mine is my favorite tool, after my Merry Tiller and my Mantis and my Potato Hook...nevermind.

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts