My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Looking to replace the rear tires on my Roper LT120AR. The unit was manufactured in '88 and the rear tires are "turf" type and original so traction is a joke. The tire size is 18X9.50-8 I don't want "turf" tires as my land is hilly, want something with some tread. Checked out M.E. Miller who usually has great prices on things but all they had was Carlisle "super lug" (which I have on my GT and are great!!!) @ $55 each plus shipping. That's a little steep considering I only use it to haul the garden cart around.

I seem to recall past posts wherein folks had used "ATV" or other "rough" tires on lawn/garden tractors. Any suggestions as to sources would be appreciated. I did a search and found one site which had a very interesting looking tire for $41.99 in the right size, unfortunately, the shipping was $18 per tire.....

Also considering just getting tire chains and leaving them on all year. My hesitation is that the unit is a hydro and a "LT" which "NOW" means a really light duty trans. 'Course I wouldn't be doing "ground engaging" things so that may be a viable alternative. The rest of this unit is built like a tank and would like to think the hydro is also... :)

Thanks for your time,

Ev

·
collector of the old
380 Posts
mabe four wheeler tires- im thinking ITP mudlights, i have them on my bolens 1050 and its about unstopible

·
15,000 +posts!
20,415 Posts
The softer ATV tires with 2 plys seem to grip better than others with stiff sidewalls,on grassy surfaces..I've seen guys use tires for 8" ATV rims on the 8" ones the tractors came with and had good traction for pulling a cart full of wood out of the wooded areas with lots of leaves and pine needles,that is very slick when wet..one tire I liked the tread pattern on,was called a "Wolly Booger" ,some others with "Chevron" tread worked well too..low pressure helps too,too much and it makes then spin easier..keeps more tread on the ground..

Northern Tool has some nice ATV tires for reasonable prices..but you may find some cheap on Craigslist or locally ,guys and kids with quads are always swapping tires it seems,I see a lot at flea markets and swap meets cheap,in good shape..

I've run tire chains year round on many tractors,on dirt or grass I doubt the tranny will know the difference..hard ground or asphalt ,it would,but still take a long time to hurt anything--your butt will get more abuse than the tractor probably..worst ride I had was a sit down mower with a rear engine,solid tires all around,with chains on the rear ones,that had a simple chain driven axle with a differential--I used it to plow,I pinned the diff so it was "posi" only,it rode like a jack hammer,and steering was practically impossible!..but it plowed pretty good,and I dont recall it wearing out any axle bushings or the tranny ever acting up..I used it for about 3 winters ,when I got a larger tractor given to me..If you have chains already,I'd try them first,why buy tires if you might not need them?..

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Check here

Click on the names for pictures of the tires.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Folks,
Thanks for all the info! Decided to order chains from www.tirechain.com/GardenTractor/chains the delivered cost is just under $40. To put this in perspective, lug tires are $55+$15 shipping, add another $10 (guessing) per tire to have them mounted at a tire shop. So that's $160 in round numbers. To answer the obvious, tryinig to break the beads with "implemlents of destruction" I have in the barn could lead to having to replace a rim. Trying to find a 21 year old Roper rim is a challenge/opportunity I'm willing to forego in my old age....:)
Just sharing,
Ev

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Don't know why that one listing came up foreign but here

·
15,000 +posts!
20,415 Posts
Adding fluid to the tires would help a lot too,windshield washer fluid or a similar alternative will add 30-50 lbs weight to each tire ,wheel weights wont hurt either,and improve stability on hills, and might make the difference between simpy spinning the wheels and not moving, or going right up a hill--also from tipping or rolling over ,when you drive sideways on an incline (something I tend to avoid doing as much as possible,after having one tractor do a barrel roll on me!--was lucky I didn't get caught under it)..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts