My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
15,000 +posts!
20,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a picture of a Suburban's mower deck ,with the belt cover off?..I need to see one,I think my deck is missing a idler pulley--I see an empty shaft directly behind the center pulley that drives the deck from the engine..there is another idler off to the right of that pulley,viewing it from the front of the deck..I found out the right 92" belt is WAY too long yesterday,then noticed that shaft ,that looks to me like a idler pulley belongs on..just my luck to find I'm missing parts!..and if anybody has photos of the mule drive imstalled and the drive belt routing,I'll need that info too Please.I have never put the deck on since I got it--was off the tractor when purchased..

The deck # is 917.253160 --I tried googling ,but my computer cant download a PDF file,cant find any photos other than a Sears catalog picture otherwise!..I need to get this thing working,the grass is a foot high in places,and I'm sick of my MTD stalling 10 minites into mowing every time!..

·
Registered
146 Posts
If I recall corectly on my GT19.9's deck, the belt when installed would resemble the shape of the belt in the parts diagram.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blasterway,thanks for the link--but I see NO idler pulleys at all in the parts breakdown,not even the one that is there on mine...I did find a listing on an auction site that has 2 idler pulleys for a suburban deck ,and both look identical..if that is the case,maybe I can fab one up by copying the one I have..I know how the belt is routed I'm fairly sure,I'm just missing one idler pulley I think...however it looks like I'm missing some other parts shown in the diagram too,that go on the drive pulley--one looks like a brake band?..hope its not absolutely nessasary,or I wont be mowing with the Suburban this summer...

·
Father to Triplets + 1
1,034 Posts
I don't have the brake and I mow just fine. Only problem is sometimes when I disengage the mower the belt jumps off the engine pulley.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahh-HA!..thank you Small Fry!--I think I just had the belt routed inncorrectly,I see your photo shows just one idler,same as my deck--I was putting the belt on wrong I think..wrapped it around the idler the wrong way..DA-HERRR!..(I'll find out for sure in a little while!)..

By "two" belts,you mean one to drive the blades on the deck itself (a "A90" or 1/2"x92" is what my dayco catalog calls for),and a big 5/8"X100" one from the engine and mule drive,to drive the deck, correct?..

If I have too,I'll fab up some kind of guide or gaurd to hold the drive belt on,if not having the brake thing lets the belt come off--I dont want to be eating too many of those "B97" 5/8"X100" belts,they are pretty costly..

I got real lucky at a flea market sunday--ran into a guy selling a huge load of industrial belts.mostly "B" belts,all Dayco,Browning,and other good brands,at the whopping price of ONE DOLLAR each!..I bought TEN belts for my sears and other tractors,glad I had a list of the sizes in my wallet!--,but I could only get belts about an inch longer than my Sears uses for the tranny,and I think I can adjust the idler enough or swap a bigger idler pulley on to make the 82" ones work(I hope!)..also got some "B99" belts about 102" long,I'm hoping I can get them to work on the mule drive--even if they all dont fit ,for ten bucks ,I cant complain,ONE store bought belt is 25-30 bucks that size!--I'll use them somewhere,or sell them to someone who can,for a bit more!..
I got 200+ bucks worth for ten bucks!... :)

I thought I should have bought more,and some of the really big belts used on torque converter drives like snowmobiles and golf carts that he had,but I was short on cash,and the guy said he will be there again in 2 weeks!..

I also had another guy hand me a bussiness card as I was pawing through the huge pile of belts,said he just bought out a lawnmower shop,and was selling off all the stock--said he had twice as many belts as the pile I was having a blast in,and they will be cheap!..has the racks,and the stretcher thing to measure them with too..I'm going to have to call him!..but I'm buying another Subrban tommorrow night,so IF I have any cash left,I'll have to see what he wants for those belts!..I'd really like to get that belt measuring device,it sucks not having one,and paying 40 bucks for a new one sucks more!..

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Robert

Yes those 2 belts.

There is no brake on the belt. Just a guard. Just let the ingage lever back slow and that might help it to not jump. It gives the belt time to slow down.

Two guards, one on the mule drive as you can see. The other on the engine pully.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep,I got those gaurds!..now if the belt fits the deck OK once routed right,all I'll need to do then, is figure out what way to twist the drive belt,so the blades spin in the proper direction,but that shouldn't be rocket science...
First I have to get one of the Suburbans going!--one needs a rear wheel hub,and an ignition still,the other one still has the tranny I "unstuck" that will probably lock up again..I'm buying another Suburban for parts tommorrow hopefully too..

Meanwhile,the "lawn" is looking more like a meadow,over a foot high with thousands of buttercups and some other yellow flowers,that aren't dandilions,but look a lot like them are taking over!..might have to use the MTD again once more,IF I can keep it running long enough--took 4 hours last time I used it--one to CUT the lawn,3 hours "cooling" time before it would start up again..I still cant tell if its a fuel or spark problem,it has both but just wont run till it cools off again..

·
15,000 +posts!
20,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK--the belt fits perfectly,once routed the right way!..me,with 40 years experience,still cant say know what I'm doing yet!.--now,for my next stupid question..(you can tell I never had a Suburban with a DECK on it before!)..

Is the "attachment clutch" lever supposed to have a pulley on it,to tighten and loosen the belt ,to turn the blades on and off?...mine only has a hole,that looks to me that a linkage goes into,from that handle to the "mule drive" unit, that slides into the tractors frame--am correct in assuming that the entire mule drive unit slides in and out, in order to tighten and loosen the drive belt?..thats the only thing I can figure,playing with the bucket of parts I got with the Suburbans,and supposedly "everything is there",according to the former owner..what holds it from coming out,just belt tension??..:eek:

It might be september before I get the deck painted,and on the tractor!...be ready to put the PLOW on by the time I get the mower on and working it seems!..wish I could download PDF files,it would make it much easier to see the pictures of how it goes together !..

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The rod it the picture goes to the deck. The hole I'm pointing to goes to the lever. It can't fall out.

On the top back of the mule drive there is another hole, by my thumb. Mine had a spring hooked from the hole to the clutch/brake rod to pull the mule drive back and keep it there. The brake rod was just a good place to hook it.

Attachments

·
2,261 Posts
Too bad you couldn't download PDF,I have the manual but it is in PDF.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Small Fry saves the day again!..I'm missing the spring but I hope I can find one lying around that'll work..The guy I just bought a parts Suburban from (another '67 SS-12) confirmed my suspicions about the mule drive sliding to tighten the belt up..

Tommy,I think my computer CAN download PDF files,I'm just too DUMB to figure out HOW too!.."PDF" stand for "pretty *** frustrating" when it comes to me trying to download one--actually I think I may have downloaded one correctly,its how to open or read it,that I cant figure out,or maybe my computer just likes P***ing me off!..

·
Registered
101 Posts
tommy - would it be possible to obtain a copy of this manual from you?
email is [email protected]

thanks

·
2,261 Posts
I sent it by pm.

TOMMY

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is the b97 100" belt for a 71 suburban? I can't read the numbers on my deck so having trouble finding the right one.

·
7000 posts and climbing!
7,145 Posts
Ahh-HA!..thank you Small Fry!--I think I just had the belt routed inncorrectly,I see your photo shows just one idler,same as my deck--I was putting the belt on wrong I think..wrapped it around the idler the wrong way..DA-HERRR!..(I'll find out for sure in a little while!)..

By "two" belts,you mean one to drive the blades on the deck itself (a "A90" or 1/2"x92" is what my dayco catalog calls for),and a big 5/8"X100" one from the engine and mule drive,to drive the deck, correct?..

If I have too,I'll fab up some kind of guide or gaurd to hold the drive belt on,if not having the brake thing lets the belt come off--I dont want to be eating too many of those "B97" 5/8"X100" belts,they are pretty costly..

I got real lucky at a flea market sunday--ran into a guy selling a huge load of industrial belts.mostly "B" belts,all Dayco,Browning,and other good brands,at the whopping price of ONE DOLLAR each!..I bought TEN belts for my sears and other tractors,glad I had a list of the sizes in my wallet!--,but I could only get belts about an inch longer than my Sears uses for the tranny,and I think I can adjust the idler enough or swap a bigger idler pulley on to make the 82" ones work(I hope!)..also got some "B99" belts about 102" long,I'm hoping I can get them to work on the mule drive--even if they all dont fit ,for ten bucks ,I cant complain,ONE store bought belt is 25-30 bucks that size!--I'll use them somewhere,or sell them to someone who can,for a bit more!..
I got 200+ bucks worth for ten bucks!... :)

I thought I should have bought more,and some of the really big belts used on torque converter drives like snowmobiles and golf carts that he had,but I was short on cash,and the guy said he will be there again in 2 weeks!..

I also had another guy hand me a bussiness card as I was pawing through the huge pile of belts,said he just bought out a lawnmower shop,and was selling off all the stock--said he had twice as many belts as the pile I was having a blast in,and they will be cheap!..has the racks,and the stretcher thing to measure them with too..I'm going to have to call him!..but I'm buying another Subrban tommorrow night,so IF I have any cash left,I'll have to see what he wants for those belts!..I'd really like to get that belt measuring device,it sucks not having one,and paying 40 bucks for a new one sucks more!..
I dunno if your deck uses the same belt but I purchased Gates B100 belts to go from the engine to the mule drive to the top of the deck.

If I remember they are 5/8" x 103" belts. I use Dayco belts on the inside of the deck.

Find your part number and try to find it on the following chart.

http://sears.pammar.net/belt.html

:bananapow:bananapow:bananapow:bananapow:bananapow:bananapow:bananapow

:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

:howdy::howdy::howdy::howdy::howdy::howdy::howdy::howdy::howdy:

Attachments

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,260 Posts
Old thread revived?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts