My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 stroke troy-bilt string trimmer (weed eater is what we call it in the south) and the head wore out. I got a new "grass gator" brand head from tractor supply, but it doesn't work well. It's the kind that you cut string to length and stick through the holes. They sometimes come out and it gets unbalanced and shakes enough to make my hands hurt/itch. Is there a replacement head that is worth a darn? I prefer the bump to feed type but I'm open to suggestions.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
I gave up on the bump to feed years ago because the darn things always end up getting hung up inside no matter how carefully the string was put on, at least all I have ever tried. I prefer the kind you have where you cut the string to length and the trick I found to keep the string in is the insert it into the head and then give it a hard pull like I am trying to pull it back out. I found this especially important to do on line that has the ridges or odd shape. That sets the keeper and I have not had any problem keeping the line in since I started doing this.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I gave up on the bump to feed years ago because the darn things always end up getting hung up inside no matter how carefully the string was put on, at least all I have ever tried. I prefer the kind you have where you cut the string to length and the trick I found to keep the string in is the insert it into the head and then give it a hard pull like I am trying to pull it back out. I found this especially important to do on line that has the ridges or odd shape. That sets the keeper and I have not had any problem keeping the line in since I started doing this.

Thanks for the tip I'll try it out. The line I'm using has ridges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
329 Posts
Is there a replacement head that is worth a darn? I prefer the bump to feed type but I'm open to suggestions.
I like the Speedfeed heads quite a bit. You can buy them at you local OPE dealer, or Home Depot carries the Echo universal fit version of them. I have used one of that type for around 3 years. I've never had it tangle inside the head. Bump feed heads are MUCH less hassle to me than having to replace individual pieces of string a few times per use of the trimmer.

·
Banned
659 Posts
... Bump feed heads are MUCH less hassle to me than having to replace individual pieces of string a few times per use of the trimmer.
I agree. Also the bump feed heads don't waste nearly as much line.
Last summer I replace my 20 something year old Weed Eater with the new model (Much flimsier btw). It came with one of those no feed heads the O.P. is talking about. When I saw the picture of it on the box I thought I would like the simplicity of it. It came with a few strips of .095" line. I didn't have any trouble with that slipping out, but I had several spools of .080" line and that would slip out. I found that doubling up the .080" line kept it from slipping out, and it lasted longer than the .095" line. After a hand full of trips around the property I yanked that cheap-o no feed head off and stuck the bump feed head from the old Weed Eater on. I should have done that as soon as I took it out of the box.

·
What did you say ?
580 Posts
I have several bump feeds, a stilh polycut blade head. Recently I installed a pivot trim head for a friend. I liked the pivot trim and plan to get one for myself.

If used with the correct size line the pivot trim head uses much less string than a bump feed. As someone somewhere said "by the time the line needs changing I need a rest".

·
Banned
659 Posts
No way, Your going to have at least several inches of waste line at each of the four pivots. That's four time as much waste as your going to get at the end of a bump feed head that wasn't over bump fed. And your going to be changing those lines on the pivot head many times more than you are going to be re-spooling a bump feed head. If I took a rest as often as someone somewhere I don't think my yard would ever get trimmed...
Just sayin' :dunno:

·
What did you say ?
580 Posts
No way, Your going to have at least several inches of waste line at each of the four pivots. That's four time as much waste as your going to get at the end of a bump feed head that wasn't over bump fed. And your going to be changing those lines on the pivot head many times more than you are going to be re-spooling a bump feed head. If I took a rest as often as someone somewhere I don't think my yard would ever get trimmed...
Just sayin' :dunno:
Yeah way! You are going to bump that bump feed many times before the one set of strings on the pivot trim are toast. So guessing you never used a pivot trim.

According to their site
• The secret is the patented pivot action
that protects the trimmer line
• Instead of bending and breaking, the
pivoting action saves your line
• So powerful no other trimmer head
can compete
• Banging it on pavers, edging around
driveways, and smashing into walls won’t break the line​

I tried it and liked it. Like I said I am going to get one. You do have to use the correct sized line or it may not stay put.

·
Banned
659 Posts
Yup, My Line wears down a few inches, I bump and go with 10ft still in reserve. Mean while you'll be weed whacking with little nubs with slow tip speeds and a tiny cutting diameter or you will be stoppin' to swap 'um.
Infomercail gimmicks wont help. I learned that one a long time ago.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
My husqvarna T35 bump head works flawlessly. It's super easy to restring, and it doesn't have the problem you describe, since you only need a single piece of line to restring it.
I'm not sure if this is something that can be adapted to your trimmer, but if it accepts trimmer plus attachments, you could buy a husqvarna trimmer attachment and put it on your Troy bilt power head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
What did you say ?
580 Posts
Yup, My Line wears down a few inches, I bump and go with 10ft still in reserve. Mean while you'll be weed whacking with little nubs with slow tip speeds and a tiny cutting diameter or you will be stoppin' to swap 'um.
Infomercail gimmicks wont help. I learned that one a long time ago.
Try one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.