My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
We will need to know which deck you have. The 50" or 42". A picture of the deck and hub would help also.

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

You have the 6 bolt hub, which is the last version. Earlier hubs were 3 bolt.
Good news is the bearings are still available. Spindle Bearings 741-0919 SKF-6204 2RSJEM.

Bad news is the spindle is no longer available. If it is bent, then you may have to find another deck for parts or hope someone on the forum has one to sell. A search shows spindles listed on Ebay and Google but they are expensive.

There seems to be 2 different spindles depending which 50" deck you have.
PN 741-0211 and 738-469B. I think yours is the later. Both show up in a Google search.

The manuals are attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Chuck. I'll pursue that info. Meanwhile if anyone has a hub or deck for sale please contact me. I just had the motor rebuilt so it's too late to walk away now. And it wont be long before the weeds need mowing!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chuck, looking at the 190-993 50 QD I'm not sure that is the manual for the 6 bolt hub? Possibly the 3 bolt? Or am I missing something? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
The 6 bolt does not show in the the manual drawings. A three bolt hub will work. Are the bearings bad or is the spindle bent?
Do you need a complete assy?

Looking on Google search for 14199A spindle assy. The complete unit is available for $115.
https://www.propartsdirect.net/14199A-mtd.aspx
Several others available also.

It looks like Cub Cadet mowers use this spindle also.

Edit: My info in post #6 about the spindle assy and it's parts not being available is incorrect. But it is pricey.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I disassembled the spindle assembly and cleaned things up. Not positive the spindle is straight but it does not appear to be bent. Best I can tell everything is ok except the pulley. I can't tell if the pulley has part of the old bearing still attached. I ordered bearings and should know if I have a problem when I try to put all the pieces back together.

I did find a pulley on eBay but the pic wasn't good enough to help me.

Thanks for the heads up on the complete assembly. I came across it too, but wasn't sure if it was the right one. I'm tempted to get it, just in case mine is bent. Prolly won't find out until I install and find too much vibration.

The tractor is about 1200 miles away and I would like to be able to install and run without a lot of delay when I get there. But I hear it's snowing up there so I prolly won't be going anywhere for a bit.

Thanks for all of your help Chuck! I really do appreciate it. I will let you know how things go.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm curious if anyone is willing to take a few measurements of the 190-993 deck and 14199A spindles. I have the 198-992A and the near impossible to find 741-0211 spindles on mine and was lucky enough to find 1 NOS spindle this winter. I've researched between the 2 mower decks and the decks themselves seem very similar and so use a lot of the same parts. Spindles and pulleys are different part numbers, but the pulleys may very well be the same height off the deck and same with the blades. The drive belt is also the same part number so I'm thinking it may be possible to make the newer 14199A work on the older deck???? I'll soon be going over my deck to get ready for spring and I'll post measurements from mine.

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
I have the spindle assembly for the 993 deck. The spindle length is 4.235 in. If you need other measurements, I can do that for you.
Image01.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great. I'll get at mine in the near future. I'd be most interested in the measurement from the deck (mounting surface) to pulley, and the deck to blade. I seem to remember mine had 3 mounting holes also, they may even be the same dimensions. If those 2 measurements are the same I see no reason the old can't be replaced with the newer version even if it means drilling a couple holes.

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Bottom of the deck to the blade adapter is 2.325 in.
Bottom of the deck to the pulley edge is .650 in. (- deck thickness)
Bottom of the deck to the top of pulley center is 1.20 in.

Image01.jpg Image02.jpg Image01.jpg Image02.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
More rare finds this week for me. I was so excited I got the deck out a little early. I’ll say at first glance the spindles will swap out. The only thing I haven’t at least physically looked at yet is clearance from top of shaft/ pulley to cover because I do not yet have pulleys, but the blade end of the spindles look almost exactly the same length to the end and the blade adapters cross over. Vacation early next week and I don’t want pulleys to show up while I’m not around. Will play around more next week and get some real measurements.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
I notice mine has an extra spacer.
Looks promising. Do you have the top side deck reinforcement ring?
Image01.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
I do not have said ring. I thought that was the "extra spacer" in your photo. I did notice they made some slight changes to the 14199 spindle assembly though. When I put the bearing housings together of the one I have in the photo, there was about a 1/8" gap between the plates but the housing on the pulley side is "open" as shown in my above photo so the bearing could push through the end a little past the housing and close the gap. Not sure what "normal" is there. This spindle came in the unopened package loosely assembled. I also have some that are not assembled in the package and the bearing housings on them are the same top and bottom. Without the end being open allowing the bearing past there would probably be a 1/8" gap between the housings and would need an extra spacer I think, but I haven't come across any manuals that show anything more. Neither version came with any extra spacers or reinforcement rings. I will be looking for the rings I need but a quick search on the web didn't return any results for the PN I have (14249A). I was figuring on tackling the rest of my needed items after I get home next week. I do agree it looks promising.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
P
I did notice they made some slight changes to the 14199 spindle assembly though.
This was actually incorrect.
I went out to take some measurements today. I also took another look at the spindles I have, still unopened but looked a little closer at the contents to try to inventory what was inside. All do have the open end housing in them, but no extra spacer or reinforcement ring.
Aside from that the rest of the above is correct. I have the spindle assemblies side by side, replaced the 1/8" deck with 1/8" metal stock and did the best I could to photo everything.
With an extra 1/8" spacer in the 14199A, the blade ends of the two would be almost identical. This would also put the top side bearing back inside the housing. Top side I have some pulleys coming but none here currently for the 14199 assembly. On the 741-0211, from deck to top of spindle is pretty much 2". Pulleys bolt on. Bottom of pulley to top of spindle is around 1.200 (1.285 - .078 for ruler thickness) so if we just say 1 1/4" the bottom of the pulley is roughly 3/4" from the mounting surface on the deck. My spindle bearings are in bad shape (and noticed the pulley is bent almost 1/8") so getting any more precise the way they wobble would be tough.
I feel like I have hijacked this thread enough and will probably be doing a complete teardown of mine, if so I will most likely be posting a thread of my own. Thanks VTXRider for your unending knowledge and resources! It is nice to know there may be options for us when it comes to these spindle assemblies. Very happy to know they may be a bolt on, after acquiring the other parts needed that is.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
If the newer style spindle assemblies can be made to work, that will be great for those looking for the 741-0211 old style assemblies.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts