My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am think about getting a compact tractor with a mower so I may sell out. I am going to try for a package deal. A 2544(looks new) with wheel weights and filled tires and 85 hours. A power dump Johnny bucket that is 1 year old. A cheap areator and a 5x10 2000lb trailer with drive on gate. I know what it cost but what do I ask?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Well, I'll take a stab at it.

2544: about $2700-$3000 around here.
JBjr: about $1000 around here, largely because it's already installed and working. Saves a lot of labor on the buyers part.
aerator: anywhere from $20 to $100, depending on type and condition. Not really a factor in this package deal though.
trailer: seem to be going for about $700-$800 around here used, $1000-$1200 new.

So, I'd say about $4500-$4800 for the package. Considering a new one is $3800 before tax, prep, etc., I'd say you should be able to sell it pretty easily and quickly. You may want to start a bit higher, but I suspect there'll be a psychological barrier to a price of $5000 or more.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
That's a tough one. Most of your used buyers want to spend a few grand at best and just about want you to give stuff away. I would think your better off selling the tractor first, then the accessories like the JB later. I'd think your 2544 is worth maybe $2500. I'd sell my 2544 now if someone was willing to pay me $2700-3000 for it!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I'll take a stab at it.

2544: about $2700-$3000 around here.
JBjr: about $1000 around here, largely because it's already installed and working. Saves a lot of labor on the buyers part.
aerator: anywhere from $20 to $100, depending on type and condition. Not really a factor in this package deal though.
trailer: seem to be going for about $700-$800 around here used, $1000-$1200 new.

So, I'd say about $4500-$4800 for the package. Considering a new one is $3800 before tax, prep, etc., I'd say you should be able to sell it pretty easily and quickly. You may want to start a bit higher, but I suspect there'll be a psychological barrier to a price of $5000 or more.
I thought I might sell the trailer by itself but I was thinking I might want to keep the Johnny Bucket with the Cub as they do make an impressive couple. I think the price is about all is about right on everything but the trailer. I don't think I can get that much for it here. The Gatormade Trailer plant is about 30 min away. Good trailers are a dime a dozen around here.

·
Banned
852 Posts
We could tell you all day long what you should ask and still the market will determine price. It's worth what someone is willing to pay and NOT what you think it's worth.

Scott

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Sell the JBJR seperate and do not let the buyer of the 2544 no you have it or have a clue one has ever been on it.If I was looking that would kill the deal.Because I would feel the trans and frame and front axel have been stressed.That would lower the value of the tractor.Think about it would you give the same price for a 2544 that has done that kind of work as you would one that has strictly mowed grass?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
... the market will determine price. It's worth what someone is willing to pay and NOT what you think it's worth.

Scott

+1 to that. Good news is; This time of year is absolute peak demand for outdoor power equipment, especially mowers so your chances are greatest in selling now. Problem is; In the $3500+ range, most of your buyers in this segment will buy new and/or use the credit and finance deals currently available. IMO, only us tractor nuts will give a hoot about a Johnny Bucket. Your average Shmoe doesn't know how to remove and replace the deck let alone anything else.... BUT, you never know! A buyer could be right around the corner.

Joel

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We could tell you all day long what you should ask and still the market will determine price. It's worth what someone is willing to pay and NOT what you think it's worth.

Scott
I understand what you are saying but I am not sure that helps me at all. I wanted to ask a fair price to begin with and work from there. I have never been able to go back and resell something I priced too cheaply to begin with.

·
Banned
852 Posts
I understand what you are saying but I am not sure that helps me at all. I wanted to ask a fair price to begin with and work from there. I have never been able to go back and resell something I priced too cheaply to begin with.
http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=14101&storeId=10051&productId=10219&langId=-1&categoryId=33814

My guess is-

$2200 to $2400, ya didn't want to hear that. Always part out attachments, never worth the package price. Most used buyers will NEVER wrap thier minds around the price of each attachment and then justify the package deal. It's been mentioned here already that if someone is gonna pay $4K they will buy new regardless of what you offer as extras. The only benie to buying used is not paying sales tax and a SUPER cash deal. Like a new car you lose 33% the moment you sign your name to the contract.

Good luck with it.

Scott

·
Banned
852 Posts
I've seen many pakage deals, trailer with weedeaters and a push mower and ... , well they never sell. You're looking for someone to come along and bail you out of what you don't want, your buyer may be 1/10000, don't hold your breath.

I buy and I sell, not as much as I'd like to but I have fun with it. Advertise each peice separately and advertise often. Ebay, every other tracor forum, your front lawn, tell your neighbors and ask them to tell others, family and any other network you can find. Do this and in 30 days it'll all be gone.

Scott

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well my thinking was this
2544 $2000
JB $ 750
trailer $ 500
areator $ 50

that puts me at $3500. I agree about the package deal being a hard sell but I have always been lucky so I thought I would give it a shot.I think I might be able to make a few hundred more if I break up the package but my real question is with the JB. I can make a case for someone running to get it or Running to stay away from it. Thanks for the help. If I end up selling i will shoot a price so you guys can see how smart you are. CC, I hope you are very smart. MurphyCC, I am afraid you may be.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
2544 $2000
JB $ 750
trailer $ 500
areator $ 50

that puts me at $3500. I agree about the package deal being a hard sell but I have always been lucky so I thought I would give it a shot..
MM, I'd say that's priced very reasonably. That's about what you could get in my area. Craigslist would be a good option, eBay is tough if you can't crate/pallet and ship it.

Joel

·
Banned
852 Posts
MM, I'd say that's priced very reasonably. That's about what you could get in my area. Craigslist would be a good option, eBay is tough if you can't crate/pallet and ship it.

Joel
Shipping of pallet items are usually not worth the hastle and expense however there are those of us who are known to drive 1000 to 1200 mile round trip to get what we want. In fact I'll be driving to Lancaster OH from E TN this week to pick up a roller.

Scott

·
Banned
852 Posts
2544 $2000
JB $ 750
trailer $ 500
areator $ 50

that puts me at $3500. I agree about the package deal being a hard sell but I have always been lucky so I thought I would give it a shot.I think I might be able to make a few hundred more if I break up the package but my real question is with the JB. I can make a case for someone running to get it or Running to stay away from it. Thanks for the help. If I end up selling i will shoot a price so you guys can see how smart you are. CC, I hope you are very smart. MurphyCC, I am afraid you may be.
Your run down seems reasonable.

Scott

1 - 16 of 16 Posts