My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Dabbler in rust
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This spring, my tractor battery was stone dead, I had unhooked the negitive connection, but it still drained.
After a day on the charger the battery was good to go, about a month into the season the battery went dead again, and now it is dead once again.
The engine is a 19hp kohler courage.
I am not sure if this is a charging issue, or the battery is faulty.

Just looking for some pointers what I should check for.

Thanks!

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,095 Posts
I expect your battery is bad. You can take it to Auto Zone and probably other auto parts stores and have it checked.

You can check the charging system IF you have a VOM, connect to wire coming from voltage regulator, should be over 12.5 V probably about 14V. (DC)

Walt Conner

·
Bolens G16YT aka 2016G
318 Posts
OK, check that and get less than 14...12.5 lets say...What's the cause or next step to check...:thanku:

·
Dabbler in rust
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So as it turns out, there is a wire that runs to the bottom side of the carb, that was pinched under the motor shroud, and the fuse blew, I also found the mount bolts for my starter was loose. I just had this tractor back to the dealer to have the valves set....arrrgh, what $70/hr won't get you these days

·
Bolens G16YT aka 2016G
318 Posts
So as it turns out, there is a wire that runs to the bottom side of the carb, that was pinched under the motor shroud, and the fuse blew, I also found the mount bolts for my starter was loose. I just had this tractor back to the dealer to have the valves set....arrrgh, what $70/hr won't get you these days
You did not mention your make, model, year of tractor and...:wwp:

What did you wind up paying at 70/hr...:Stop:

·
Bolens G16YT aka 2016G
318 Posts
You should be able to run a Multi-Meter across your battery terminals and stand there and watch your battery charging...

I just has the same problem and learned how to fix it myself...:fing32:

See thread "Help with using a Multi-amp Meter " in the Small Engine Forum.

Can't tell you how helpful the members here were...:thThumbsU

Also, if you have any future engine problems you should either post or at least cross post with the small engine forum...They cover all engines and they really know their engines...:goodl:

·
Dabbler in rust
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! The tractor in question is a YT1942T Husquivarna about a 2006 model. I aquired it with the house I purchased last year. Along with a few issues on the house, they failed to mention they dabled with the engine on the tractor a bit. I took wasn't running right, and seemed to be using oil, so I took it to the dealer where it was purchased new....only to uncover a host of issues, broken bolts it the end cover of the engine, cracked crank case.....new piston, valves and a tube of JB weld later... and a return trip to reset the valves...I end up with a loose starter and a pinched off wire...and a $500 repair bill. But the tractor runs, so i guess that is the main thing. I joined this form a short time ago, as this winter I plan to restore my 8N, and already I have gotten so much helpful advice, haven't even started on the N yet, but what a great place to turn for some help on just about anything. Thanks again everyone! I will try to get some pics up soon, Not sure what happened, but ended up with a clip of my barn down below, that is suppose to be a B2410??

·
Bolens G16YT aka 2016G
318 Posts
Just for future referrence I would suggest you obtain all owners, operators, and parts manuals for your tractor. Read it all carefully as it contains information that will help you repair problems yourself. Also, obtain the same literature for your engine...:thThumbsU

Too many so called repair shops are just a bunch of hacks that actually will cause problems with your machine...:banghead3

If you stop and think about it, these are small engines, NOT CAR Engines...:Stop:

70 dollars and hour is close to the rates they get away with around here and it amazes me that they get that...

If you look closely at your entire machine, there is very little that you cannot test, evaluate, replace or repair yourself...:aetsch:

If you learn more about tractor and engine repair and check the price of the parts they put in...You'll see the screwin' you got...

Can you tell I've been burned by these so called experts...:14_6_5:

:Tractor2::Tractor2::MTF_wel::wwp:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts