My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Isn’t black smoke (rolling coal) a symptom of lots of fuel?
Yes. Kinda.... to be more precise, it means: "All the fuel didn't burn"
That can be because there is "too much fuel"....
But it can also be:
1. Poor burn / incomplete burn (there are many causes for this condition)
2. Insufficient air (ie plugged air filter - but that is apparently not the case here though)

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Thanks I haven't checked the lash yet...I was thinking injectior I will have a listen to them tomorrow with my stethoscope..as for the fuel pump I will check it out as well ibwas thinking that as well but it looks like it was replaced once already ...it has allot hrs on it over 2500 lt starts up amd runs great just bogs down when climbing the hill and puts out a good puff of black and starts to stumble once I get on flat ground again she comes back to life and takes off again
A more specific question... when you say "puts out a good puff of black"... does that mean "1 puff" and then the black is gone, and it just stumbles - but does not spew out more black smoke?.... or does it start billowing out black smoke continuously?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I see unburnt fuel as white smoke, as in engine turning over, but not firing, white cloud from exhaust pipe, then it fires off and runs. Look at guys with chipped and deleted pick up trucks stomping on the go pedal, or super stock pulling tractors. Not bogging down, losing power. Quite the opposite, burning lots of fuel and making lots of power

·
Premium Member
Many I fix them all
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
A more specific question... when you say "puts out a good puff of black"... does that mean "1 puff" and then the black is gone, and it just stumbles - but does not spew out more black smoke?.... or does it start billowing out black smoke continuously?
Puts out a good puff then the smoke gos away but it stumbles till inget back on the flat..I am thinking lift pump or one injector is going bad I pulled the fuel filter its in a sight glass fuel is good and clean so is the filter
.I checked to see if it was sucking air anywhere can't see any ...

·
Premium Member
Many I fix them all
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

·
Premium Member
Many I fix them all
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Mike...how old is the fuel in that 332?
hmm..I might place a bet on a cracked fuel line in the tank - going up hill exposes the crack an allow air in. Is you tank full/half/near empty?

I think the 332 has a different fuel filter than my 430. Any chance that air is trapped in it and escapes going uphill?

If I want to reach for weird ideas, keep an eye on your fuel cutoff solenoid. I can't quite picture how going up hill could weaken the voltage going to the solenoid and allow it to close a bit, but??

The good news is that if you have good power mowing, I think you have a healthy engine with a weird little demon in the fuel supply.
It has just under half a tank ..I will check the fuel line in the tank

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Parts collector
4,383 Posts
Does it do the same thing on flat ground with a heavy load?
The puff of black smoke is the pump pushing more fuel to the engine that is not being burnt. The stumble and loss of power is lack of fuel. SO, it could be blocked fuel lines not allowing enough fuel when in demand, a bad fuel line sucking shut, a crack in the fuel lines somewhere sucking air, or a blocked pickup filter in the tank.
If it is getting the correct amount of fuel while under a heavy load it should be black smoking until the engine catches up.
Black smoke is too much fuel leading to unburnt fuel out the exhaust. White smoke is a lean condition.
Personally I would pull the rear fenders and replace the in-tank filter and all the fuel lines to the pump. Then try again.
I had the same problem with my 332 last year. Turned out the in-tank filter was clogged and it killed the injection pump after only happening for two mowing's. I though it was bad fuel.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
Many I fix them all
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Does it do the same thing on flat ground with a heavy load?
The puff of black smoke is the pump pushing more fuel to the engine that is not being burnt. The stumble and loss of power is lack of fuel. SO, it could be blocked fuel lines not allowing enough fuel when in demand, a bad fuel line sucking shut, a crack in the fuel lines somewhere sucking air, or a blocked pickup filter in the tank.
If it is getting the correct amount of fuel while under a heavy load it should be black smoking until the engine catches up.
Black smoke is too much fuel leading to unburnt fuel out the exhaust. White smoke is a lean condition.
Personally I would pull the rear fenders and replace the in-tank filter and all the fuel lines to the pump. Then try again.
I had the same problem with my 332 last year. Turned out the in-tank filter was clogged and it killed the injection pump after only happening for two mowing's. I though it was bad fuel.

Good luck
Thanks I will definitely look into that.also
..works great on the flat under load

·
Premium Member
Many I fix them all
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Haven't done anything with it yet
.HAD to fix 2 generators a 4 wheeler and put a trans in I l130 ..as well as replace the base gasket on a brihgs v twin ..been real busy lately

·
Registered
12 Posts
To check the fuel line go uphill in reverse to see if it bogs out the same way. Often times you back up a ramp and it didn't have the trouble. Could be as simple as the cracked fuel line. Another check after that is to top off the fuel tank, see if issue persists.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Puts out a good puff then the smoke gos away but it stumbles till inget back on the flat..I am thinking lift pump or one injector is going bad I pulled the fuel filter its in a sight glass fuel is good and clean so is the filter
.I checked to see if it was sucking air anywhere can't see any ...
I bring this up merely to make sense of the symptoms: My 'ol B7100 is tired but still starts and runs good - it just a little low in compression.

If I'm in 3rd and come to a hill its obvious the engine is loading and the exhaust thickens up a bit. As the load increases and the unit pulls down little by little the exhaust gets blacker and blacker. Time to hit 2nd, who's in a hurry? The exhaust is a bit darker than normal but the engine is holding RPMs. All good. The blackness of the exhaust is proportionate to the engine load. There is no momentary puff of smoke and stumbling afterward until the load is gone.

The only time I can recall any belch of dark smoke and or stumbling is when I've run low of fuel, sucked some air and am bleeding the low pressure line at the injector pump. Then there's a whole lotta belching and stumbling going on.

I think it was asked previously but not sure if answered. If you are on that hill and you get the belch and the rig starts to stumble can you safely stop and hold it with the brakes? When the load is removed does the engine smooth out (give it 15 sec or so)? Can you then start climbing in a low gear OK? I suspect its not the incline but with a sustained high draw of fuel that you are getting some air into the line and, yeah, its gonna be the low pressure side. And it's gonna be near impossible to find (my kind of luck). I'd consider replacing the fuel lines. That fuel pickup sounds like a good place to starts since it is free to move around.

Reactions: DAVISSULL

·
Registered
22 Posts
So since you get an initial puff of black smoke then clears up and down on power this tells me you are having fuel delivery issues. This could be a fuel line leaking air in (but not leaking fuel out), leaking filter assembly (notorious problem as they age), weak low pressure fuel delivery pump, governor out of adjustment/worn. Fuel line collapsing (inner hose liner coming apart and closing off/restricting fuel flow) Likely it is not an engine cylinder/ring problem since if it was you would see more smoke out the exhaust due to lower compression and over fueling for the air available. However, it would be a good plan to observe the crankcase vent to see if you have excessive or intermittant blow by. Light steady blow by is normal, excessive is a worn engine on all cylinders, and puffing is indicative of one cylinder with an issue. Having just one cylinder down on compression may not produce much smoke on a steady pull but would definately reduce power.

·
Cub Cadet Beta Tester
42 Posts
Sounds like one or more pre-cups are plugged or burned, did you pull them out and check what condition they're in?

·
Premium Member
Many I fix them all
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Just ordered the lift pump today everything elase checked out good

21 - 36 of 36 Posts