My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Premium Member
Many I fix them all
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little help with are 332 3 cylinder yanmar diesel..I has tons of power on the flat etc ..but when I start to climb the back hill it bogs down and starts puffing black smoke and loses power ...when I hit the flat it gos again...i checked for water none I put new air filter cleaned out the separater etc everything looks good ...I was wondering if I was an injectior issue or the injectior pump it's been years since I messed with a diesel 馃 qny info or insight would we great ..

Super Moderator
Corrected your thread since you are talking about the diesel it must be a 332 not a 322.

Premium Member
Many I fix them all
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Corrected your thread since you are talking about the diesel it must be a 332 not a 322.
Yes brain and fingers not works together today thank u lol.

Registered
I have no experience with your tractor. You did not provide much back story, so I'm assuming this tractor is new to you. Have you tried stopping on the hill to see whether the problem is the incline or the extra load?

Premium Member
Many I fix them all
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no experience with your tractor. You did not provide much back story, so I'm assuming this tractor is new to you. Have you tried stopping on the hill to see whether the problem is the incline or the extra load?
I believe it's do to extra load ...like I said it rolls along great on the flat u get part way up the hill and it starts blowing black smoke ...it will climb the ramps easy on trailers it will pull anything...to me it seems like its sucking air or it has a bad injector or the pump is starting to go
..we have 2 of them one works perfectly and the other bogs down under load

Registered
could be 3 things:
1. Injectors are dirty or dont atomize the fuel well, when fuel is moving in high volume.
2. your HP fuel pump is not building enough pressure to atomize the fuel
3. the speed speed governor is out of whack, so it dumps too much fuel under higher loads

how many hours on the machine?
is the compression good - did you check valve lash?

Premium Member
Many I fix them all
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Premium Member
Many I fix them all
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Reactions: GardenTractorGuru

Registered
The trouble-shooting aspect is what is decreasing the power.

Registered
Did you mention you had another 332, correct?
If so try swapping some parts around between the two.

Premium Member
Many I fix them all
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
could be 3 things:
1. Injectors are dirty or dont atomize the fuel well, when fuel is moving in high volume.
2. your HP fuel pump is not building enough pressure to atomize the fuel
3. the speed speed governor is out of whack, so it dumps too much fuel under higher loads

how many hours on the machine?
is the compression good - did you check valve lash?
Thanks I haven't checked the lash yet...I was thinking injectior I will have a listen to them tomorrow with my stethoscope..as for the fuel pump I will check it out as well ibwas thinking that as well but it looks like it was replaced once already ...it has allot hrs on it over 2500 lt starts up amd runs great just bogs down when climbing the hill and puts out a good puff of black and starts to stumble once I get on flat ground again she comes back to life and takes off again

Reactions: chukeeee

Premium Member
Many I fix them all
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The trouble-shooting aspect is what is decreasing the power.
Yes we have 2 we bought them as a package deal as well as a 316 with Kohler they all run they just need some tlc ..it's been a long time since I worked on a diesel...I don't want to fire a parts Canon at it tho ...I will go over it the morning just wanted a little info on it we don't see many around this area

Registered
JD317, JD318, JD430GT
Most likley culprits: Air filter, Fuel filter, Fuel lift pump, broken fuel line, compression, injector issue, injection pump (most expensive, most difficult, and least likely - so save for last).

You refer to the hill as load. Can you load it another way that doesn't use the hill? Mower? Use it to pull something? Just wondering if the hill plays a part (altho you mentioned ramps to the truck was ok). Wondering if the fuel lift pump is on the edge and can't pump up hill (a bit of a stretch I know) or more likely...fuel line in the tank has a crack and begins to suck air.

A compression check would also be in order. If compression is ok and your air filter is new, diesels are all about fuel delivery.

You mentioned air filter. How about fuel filter?

The fuel lift pump has a simple check. Open the line after the filter, place the line in a jar, and turn the key on for 30 seconds to see how much you get. (7oz/30s). You should also see 3psi. If that fails, I then do the same test before the filter just to make sure its not a filter issue.

Premium Member
Many I fix them all
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Most likley culprits: Air filter, Fuel filter, Fuel lift pump, broken fuel line, compression, injector issue, injection pump (most expensive, most difficult, and least likely - so save for last).

You refer to the hill as load. Can you load it another way that doesn't use the hill? Mower? Use it to pull something? Just wondering if the hill plays a part (altho you mentioned ramps to the truck was ok). Wondering if the fuel lift pump is on the edge and can't pump up hill (a bit of a stretch I know) or more likely...fuel line in the tank has a crack and begins to suck air.

A compression check would also be in order. If compression is ok and your air filter is new, diesels are all about fuel delivery.

You mentioned air filter. How about fuel filter?

The fuel lift pump has a simple check. Open the line after the filter, place the line in a jar, and turn the key on for 30 seconds to see how much you get. (7oz/30s). You should also see 3psi. If that fails, I then do the same test before the filter just to make sure its not a filter issue.
Thanks for the information 馃憤...I will check all the above ...I can turn on the deck and load it up it works fine till the hill ...It kinda stumped me a little

Registered
JD317, JD318, JD430GT
hmm..I might place a bet on a cracked fuel line in the tank - going up hill exposes the crack an allow air in. Is you tank full/half/near empty?

I think the 332 has a different fuel filter than my 430. Any chance that air is trapped in it and escapes going uphill?

If I want to reach for weird ideas, keep an eye on your fuel cutoff solenoid. I can't quite picture how going up hill could weaken the voltage going to the solenoid and allow it to close a bit, but??

The good news is that if you have good power mowing, I think you have a healthy engine with a weird little demon in the fuel supply.

Registered
hmm..I might place a bet on a cracked fuel line in the tank - going up hill exposes the crack an allow air in. Is you tank full/half/near empty?

I think the 332 has a different fuel filter than my 430. Any chance that air is trapped in it and escapes going uphill?

If I want to reach for weird ideas, keep an eye on your fuel cutoff solenoid. I can't quite picture how going up hill could weaken the voltage going to the solenoid and allow it to close a bit, but??

The good news is that if you have good power mowing, I think you have a healthy engine with a weird little demon in the fuel supply.
Or a glob of junk rolling to back of tank and covering the fuel filter while going up hill.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts