My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be honest, I was in way over my head, showing off I guess at my fathers construction site. I was pushing #2 stone down a drainage ditch and the 1886 started making a ratcheting sound and and lost drive. I thought I broke a gear but after taking it apart I found the gears to be fine. The keyway sripped out on the hub/axle. I can't find or see what could have caused the ratchet sound. The only thing I can think of is that the park pawl may have engagged the bull gear for some reason.

At any rate does anybody have an axle and hub they would be willing to sell to me?

I guess I want to try to fix it kind of cheaply untill I see if there is any other problems. I do have 2 other large frames but I hate to rob parts off of them and wast all that fluid.

I called Joe's Outdoor but wasn't around.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Ok what is stripped the hub or axle? You can always rotate 180 degrees and have a new one cut.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Machinist at my work dosent have a broach that can do a taper. I didn't think of contacting a local machine shop to cut a new key way. I'll look into it.

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Ok what is stripped the hub or axle? You can always rotate 180 degrees and have a new one cut.
Great idea, never thought of that :trink39:

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
If you really want to go all out you could have someone TIG weld them and remachine them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Deerlope, are you a machinist and do that type of work?

If the axle wasn't tapered I think I would definitly fill it in with weld and broach the otherside. I imagine because of the tapper it would be a couple hundred dollars of shop labor to have it done.

I had a Toro wheel Horse that I had to change an axle shaft for the same reason, the part was availible from Toro/Peerless for under 60.00. The owner brought the axle to a machinist because we thought the shaft was discontinued, the machinist charged him $100 and it looked like he used a die grinder to cut the keyway.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
No am not a machinist but I have a very good friend that is. He has made a lot of Bolens stuff for me. Most recently a locking PTO collar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts