My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be selling my 99 Buick Park Ave that will have about 250k on it. I am thinking on a Caddy DTS 2006 but would like another Park but they quit making them in 2005.

What about any of the Fords ?? Looking for comperable size, features, heated seats etc. Oh and mileage better than 20mpg

The Park Ave has been a GREAT car, I bought it 4 yrs ago with 56k for 5k.

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,577 Posts
The LeSabre might be a good replacement. They stopped making them too, but there are more of them around than the Park Avenues. They are pretty similar if you get a loaded LeSabre. Does not have to be the Limited; some of the Customs were feature rich.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a Lesabre really like the Park Ave size its bigger inside and trunk too. Like the heated seats and climate control too. Wonder about the Lincoln Town car, not crazy over the V8 or rear wheel drive....

·
Dan
3,954 Posts
What about police car or Grand Marquis with V8. They get 29 mpg on highway.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
I had a Lesabre really like the Park Ave size its bigger inside and trunk too. Like the heated seats and climate control too. Wonder about the Lincoln Town car, not crazy over the V8 or rear wheel drive....
V8+RWD=only kind of car to own! some are quite surprising (good) in the MPG department.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,295 Posts
I was also going to suggest the Mercury Marquis. Very nice car at less money than the Lincoln which is built on the same platform just stretched a few extra inches. I know what you mean about the front wheel drive, in my experience, they handle better on icy and snow covered roads. But the Marquis is basically an upscale Ford Crown Victoria that has been proven extremely reliable as a police car and taxi cab.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea FWD are the best in snow like we see here. Rather have a fwd v6 but may have to opt for something else

·
Citizen of Earth
15,295 Posts
I get the feeling that you really loved the Buick, Have you checked out the new Lucerne? Defintely has a lot of luxury, est. 26 MPG highway, front wheel drive, 3.9 L V-6 motor

http://www.buick.com/vehicles/previous-vehicles/2010-lucerne/model-overview.html
The only experience I have with Buicks is my dad's 2WD Rondevous. He has had pretty much zero problems in close to 10 years of ownership with over 150,000 miles on it, and although he drives mostly slow speeds around town, he isn't easy on the drivetrain.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea I do love this car, I may look at a Lincoln Towncar....My neighbor has one and loves it gets around 25mpg, not as good as the Buick but great ride.

Im so pi$$ed at Gm I may not ever buy another...

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
What about police car or Grand Marquis with V8. They get 29 mpg on highway.
29mpg?? Boy mine sure dont. Best overall avg I have gotten on my Marquis is 24, normal is 19-21. Now that being said, mine has the handling package which has the 3.27 rear gear. If you find a Crown Vic or Grand Marquis with dual exhaust, it wont get the high mpgs. Single exhaust versions had a 2.xx gear.

Also, if they have "traction control" they do well in snow.

Might look into the Ford Five Hundred. I have considered trading my Merq for one many times. More room inside than the Marqs or the Vics. and a overall smaller car with V6 and front wheel drive. :trink39:

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I am going to be selling my 99 Buick Park Ave that will have about 250k on it. I am thinking on a Caddy DTS 2006 but would like another Park but they quit making them in 2005.

What about any of the Fords ?? Looking for comperable size, features, heated seats etc. Oh and mileage better than 20mpg

The Park Ave has been a GREAT car, I bought it 4 yrs ago with 56k for 5k.
You bought a 1999 Buick with 56 K four years ago and now have in the area of 250,000 miles.

I would buy another, why do you have an issue with GM products?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea I sell cutting tools and am on the road all the time so I stack up the miles. As for my issues with GM, they treated their employees and suppliers like crap and also took man handouts including the goverment ( taxpayer) handouts. At least Ford didnt !

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
got another idea; if not a V8 RWD how bout a straight 6 in a Cherokee?
That's what I have for the wife (2nd one; kid totalled the 1st one and I had such good "luck" I went and found another ro replace it) I had an '01 that was rolled at 169K and replaced it with a 97 with (at the time) 101K; now at ~113K.

for durability over the long haul you can't beat a STRAIGHT-6! I was never a V6 fan.
though the one and only V6 I ever had (a '90 Dakota) did me well. the inline has more power/torque. a 3.9 V6 vs a 4.0 sraight? (about 3-1/2 CID difference) 239 vs 242
but the inline is much torquier; my cousin has a 4.0 in a Ranger (V6) and a 4.0 in a Cherokee (inline) and there is no comparison; he prefers the inline as well;
I wish they would bring back the Valiant/Duster, (slant-6) the Maverick (also a straight-6) and dare I say the Nova? just as they were "in the day".
what I hate most about cars? the huge influx of Honduh Toyota Hyundai etc;
2nd most? front wheel drive 3rd most all the un needed electronic BS.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had 2 Jeeps they are too small inside for my liking im looking for the large inside with the big car ride !

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
What about a ford 500 or Ford taurus both good cars.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts