My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping someone on here could enlighten me on the different 54" decks produced for the large frame tractors.

I traded for a deck that came off of an 1886, I think its the original deck for an 1886 because it is red. The deck must have had a factory center roller at one point, but it had been torn off and the center front of the deck split. I noticed that the manuals on Sonny's showed some with the roller, and some without. I know grandpa's HT20 with 54" deck does not have the center roller.

So here are some questions i'm hoping you guys can answer.

Are these a drive on deck? the top panels seem very light weight. They are bent up as well so i will probably need to make new ones.. should I use heavier stock on this? Perhaps reinforce it so the tractor can drive up and over it?

Do I need the roller? I did major reinforcement in the front, and can add one if necessary.

What type of oil do I use in the PTO?

Are parts/seals available for the PTO

Where can i find a good replacement belt?

The pulleys, and spindles look good without play.. can they be replaced if they ever fail? Did they use more than one style spindle over the years? these look like steel.

Are the factory blades flat ?(not counting the cutting edge)

The deck is fairly solid, with the exception of the non discharge side. It had some holes in it, and the front on that side was rusted fairly thin. I plan on welding in plates from the inside, then backfilling the holes fromt the outside with the welder. I treated all of the underside with a special rust kill spray that I bought at the local paint store. I plan on applying a coat of body glaze to the underside and top side to fill any of the pockets caused by the rust. I also fabricated plates for the underside of the deck. It had stress cracks at all 4 attachment points, so i welded the stress cracks and will weld on the plates this week as well.

Thanks again for the help.

Nick

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
These are NOT a drive-on deck. Tey are "wrestle-it-under-the-tractor" decks.

Properly adjusted, you do not need the roller.That said, if you ground is kind of uneven, the front roller helps minimize scalping.

The gear box on the deck takes standard gear lube (80-90W). Seals are availbale, either at your local parts store, or through one of the Bolens suppliers. Parts are a little more iffy, depending on what you need.

I got my last deck belt at TSC, but had to order it in.

Doug

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doug,

Do you remember how much that belt ran? the local dealer (old bolens dealer) quoted me a price of 69.97 for the belt!!!! ouch.

I was also curious if anyone had replaced the skids/sleds/rails... whatever they are called on their decks with caster wheels. The 60" deck that I had on my cub was a really heavy dute drive on unit with front casters, center roller, and rear wheels and roller. It was a very odd deck, and was made by another company for Cub. I would like to modify my bolens so that it has a similar setup. I am open to ideas though. Perhaps no wheels are as good as wheels?

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
Nick, I don't actually remember for sure exactly how much that belt was, but I think it was in the $40-45 range.

Doug

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will check out my local TSC and see what they have. I found a place that makes belts here locally... so I am hoping I can buy something direct for a decent price.

I picked up additional items for my tractor today... hopefully the rain will go away so that I can get more finished. The wait is killing me.

Nick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts