My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heads up to all look EVERYWHERE before working with the tractor. A few weeks ago some big storms rolled thru and knocked down Many trees in my yard along two sides of woods. Well I've been working on them off and on every since, cut the tree and push it back in the woods using my rear blade.

This morning I started pushing on a tree pretty hard about 15 inch diameter and 50 feet long, I was in the center of it pushing it back. As I was pushing it back something stopped me so I hit the diff lock and pushed harder all the sudden another whole tree came crashing down ontop of me through some limbs. Now this other tree coming down is about 10 inches in diameter and stops just ontop my hood about 2 inches away from the hood when the limbs from it hitting the ground stopped the whole tree.

Thank God it was about 2 feet infront of my seat as I would have been crushed and also that it stopped before hitting my hood. Now I was in a real fix, thankfully the wife was watching from inside and came running out, she lifted up a few limbs just far enough for me to make my way out.

Seems the first tree I was pushing actually was pushing on another one and it had fallen also but was hung up high above where I couldn't see and didn't look close enough. Yes I almost made the yellow seat brown when this happened as it looked like I was going to get it full on in the face. So I thought I might make the reminder safety first guys look before working with your tractors. :trink39::trink39::trink39:

One great thing that happened this morning though while filling at the local station a good friend walked up to my tractor with his boy who is my age. I haven't seen them in ages and they each unknown to me have an X485 wooo hooo, now we all started changing info and tips. I'm sure we will now chat more often too.. :trink39::trink39::trink39:

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
XXXX Warren! You are very lucky and I'm glad you are ok! Woo too close for comfort!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brett,

I can tell you I still have 4 of the Biggest and most dangerous trees to go due to them being hung up inside of other trees like what happened this morning. I came in for a break to gather my wits again as I'm NOT looking forward to playing with them this afternoon. If I get 2 of them done today I'll be happy, Yes I was scared. Men are aloud to be scared sometimes too right? lol

The good thing is nothing was hurt and yes I may go buy a lotto in a bit, I'm certainly either lucky or Dad was watching over me from above with God. :trink39:

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
That is why a tree caught in another tree's limbs are called widow makers. I'm glad to hear that you are OK and no damage.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
W,

Just be careful dude! I suggest staying WAY back... I have a nice 20' tow strap stop over and pick it up! :)

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
If that was me, I would have just paused for a minute to reflect what had just happened, and would of said out loud, regardless if I was alone or not, "Welp, I think its time for a break." I would just turn the tractor off where it sat, and walked away for the day.

~F~

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I couldn't walk away right then I was scared the tree limbs would break then have the whole thing ontop the tractor. I did however drive straight to the garage turn the key off and say MM its time for a break. I know by the look in the wifes eyes and tears on her face she was scared too.

Just went out and banged on a hunk of steel I need thay is stuck for a few minutes and still the MM waits, can't bring myself back on the seat just yet. Brett I also just gathered up over 100 feet of 3/8s inch log chain, this will be thought out well before the last 4 come down. May even ask for the BILaws help with the 8300 and loader, I'll know later today or tomorrow on that.

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
Your very lucky the wife saw this and came and helped you out, tree like that are like a house made out of cards, move one and there is always more to follow.that why they call them widow makers.

Had one property I took care of, with five leaner's like that the only thing holding up the five trees was a 2" limb on the last tree. We had a wind storm come up one night and that limb let go and 5 trees came crashing down took out an old garage that needed to be torn down anyway. Insurance took care of the clean up and paid for the garage. The owner was in a nursing home and I worked for his daughter, what a mess that was.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Your skin will grow back :sidelaugh:sidelaugh Hows the tractor?:trink40: slkpk

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok!

I think the world of my GT, but I don't send it to do a Ram's job. Nice long chains hooked to a 6800lb pickup. That's the ticket.

·
Super Moderator
32,732 Posts
MM glad to hear you are ok! Yep, it's OK to be scared once in a while! Remember what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and smarter!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
When messing with trees(especially dead falls) it's best to take some time and figure out the physics of it all before acting, also always have an escape plan on where to run/move two when things start falling.

I took two decent size trees down in my backyard last week. It was not without some trepdiation either as I was worried about myself, my truck and my shop. Being quick on your feet, and having a keen ear and eye really helps. As I was cutting the first tree, I heard it crack and move ever so slightly at the trunk and I was off to my escape area to see what the tree was doing.

Glad to see your safe but take your time next time. Remember nothing is over kill when it comes to trees so using a big chain saw (Stihl is my preferred brand), big winch, big truck, big tractor whatever. You never really quite know how they will come down. This also one task that you can consider farming out to someone. Yeah, it's pricey but better than having your GT or yourself flattened.

·
Bring on old man winter.
670 Posts
Glad you're okay MM. That's some crazy stuff.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Warren,

Glad you are ok, as for the lottery ticket, pass on it. You used up the luck for today with what happened. Try the lottery tomorrow.:thThumbsU

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
It's good that you are ok :fing32: Better :thanku: the big man in the sky!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts