My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Do older Cub Cadet clutches fit or could be modified?

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Is there enough metal left to be faced off on a lathe? The two plates could be made at a machine shop or from two rounds on a lathe yourself.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im gonna look into having them turned but Im concerned that if they get too thin then they might flex. Another possibility would be to press out the centers and have new rotors machined and put onto the centers... or just start from scratch and have complete new ones made.... I dont have a lathe here so any option will have to be done in a machine shop.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Looking at the assembly picture, new plates could be made thicker and never have to be concerned with them again.

Are those plates pressed onto the hubs?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure they could be much thicker with out running out of room for adjustment on the pedal linkage... and one the holes in the shaft would need to be redrilled.

They do appear to be pressed on which is why I mentioned that possibly new rotors(plates) could be installed onto the old centers... but Im a little leary of pressing them out just yet since its the only ones I have. IF I could find another set them I might be more tempted to get creative and see if I can come up with a solution... since Ive started looking Ive already found a couple people that have the same issue.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
That is great news Lance. Be good to get it back up and running before snowfall.
Is the price reasonable?

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No idea on the price yet but the guy is REAL HAPPY with the Agco Allis front mower he bought off me this spring... when I delivered it he gave me a tour of his shop where he builds heavy duty tie rod ends for pickup trucks... he has some nice toys in there so I went to visit him today... he was showing me a bunch of pics of the mower in 2'+ deep grass... kinda like the ones I posted when I put it up for sale.Lol

He is going to try and refinish the plates I gave him but we also talked about making some one piece plates from scratch, next time I go over I'll take a pair of Cub plates with me... I priced those out tonight and they are $163.71usd for the pair from Cub Cadet Specialties.

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Picked up my clutch plates from the machine shop yesterday, seems neither the center or the plates are hardened so he no trouble turning them on a lathe, bill was $20 and he said he would make new ones from a single piece if anyone needs them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Are you back to plowing snow yet Lance?

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Lance,

The 960 is looking good.

I'm south of Moline a bit and just don't recall seeing many MTD 9xx series around here.

I don't know if it's location or dealers just didn't carry them around here, Deere's, Cubs pretty much dominated around here, Lawn Boy's were built in Galesburg so there were a lot of them around also in the walk behind mowers.

I think we are getting your snow down here this year.

CCMoe

1 - 20 of 63 Posts