My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
NOT ENOUGH MUD OR SNOW!!!
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an area here on MTF for the National Mower type reel mowers? Would like to get in touch with some who have them or had them in the past.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I have an old one but I can't giveyou that much information on them since I don't know a lot about them. They are a fun tractor to use though after you get use to the hand clutch lol. When I first was learning to use mine I pulled a few wheelies lol. Let me know what you want to know about them and I can try to help you.

Here is a picture of mine.

·
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to get my hands on another one. You are right on the hand clutch, they are a little jumpy. Great mower that cuts clean and fast. I should have repowered mine instead of selling it.

·
Administrator
5,733 Posts
F250...as you now know, I have had a few.....I learned to drive on one of those when I was 10, my dad had one.....

When I bought a bigger property a few years ago, I decided to find another....have had 4 or 5 since....just have one now.....

Also, farmerall, I have a Yahoo group for these things, if you are interested.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NationalMower/

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I would like to get my hands on another one. You are right on the hand clutch, they are a little jumpy. Great mower that cuts clean and fast. I should have repowered mine instead of selling it.
I would try looking at some local golf courses in your area if you are looking for one. It seems that many of the golf courses used to use these for a lot of different mowing duties.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I actually have one of these tractors. Mine is a National Triplex 84". it came to me as a frame and rear end only. I found that most Kohler K-Series engines with the basic oil pan bolt right up to the frame. After I added my own engine, I added a cub cadet steering column, a custom steering column plate, wheels all around, my own improved belt system built from the pieces of the original belt drive that I had, it is a fully functional riding tractor, as I have none of the reel mowers for it.
The best I can do information-wise in helping you, is to tell you to look at the National Mower Website http://www.nationalmower.com/manuals.html as it was the most helpful resource to me in my own hunt for information.

·
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a pic of my old one. Miss it a lot. I bookmarked the web page you put up for Nat Mower as well. Thank you. If anyone knows of one for sale in the central states please let me know. I think I left ya a PM Poncho.

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,733 Posts
Got your PM.......Both yours and Farmeralls machines are quite a bit older than mine......Yours both would be late 50s-early 60s models.....Can tell by the drive system and the way the steering wheel has that vertical stand....Looks much like the one my dad had, that black and white picture was taken in 1962.

National Mower Group

Heres a fun video with a National in it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiGm8IwOhVY

·
Citizen of Earth
15,304 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Got your PM.......Both yours and Farmeralls machines are quite a bit older than mine......Yours both would be late 50s-early 60s models.....Can tell by the drive system and the way the steering wheel has that vertical stand....Looks much like the one my dad had, that black and white picture was taken in 1962.

National Mower Group

Heres a fun video with a National in it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiGm8IwOhVY
Is there a serial number chart any where to help tell what year mine is?

·
Administrator
5,733 Posts
Is there a serial number chart any where to help tell what year mine is?
I dont have one.....I was in contact with customer support at National a few years ago.....His name was Trey Parker, I think ..........Anyways, he said if I sent mine in he could do that, but my serial # was scratched out ...They are on a tag on the steering column

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,106 Posts
Thanks for the memories.
My Dad loved the cut quality of these mowers, and had two, an older second hand single reel mower we used for 15-20 years. When the sons were on the verge of moving off, Dad bought a new triple reel, for his own use. Here is an old scanned picture of me on the triple, and my brother (mostly hidden behind me) on the old single. These two really made the grass fly. I recall that the operator got a full coating of grass clippings on the single because the reel was mid-mounted between your legs.

Sorry about pic quality:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Poncho62 where did you find the sickle bar mower at. It looks like a really cool attatchment for it and how well did it cut.

·
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just noticed the sickle on it! That is way cool. When I still had mine I called up to Nat Mower and also sent them a pic of it and a pic of the serial tag and the fella who had been working there 30+ years said he had never seen one like mine in person. No clue as to age. I would go out to mow and all the neighbors would come out to watch me. They loved to watch that thing fling grass. Yes, I would get covered in grass by the time I finished the 1st pass! Thanks for the other links as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi guys gotta say when I was a kid I got to mow our yard with one of these was about 4 acres boy that was a blast. Wish I could find one today. Would buy it in a minute. If anybody finds one here in NC let me know. Thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts