My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Austen and his 1977 Economy has prompted me to think a little about a small thought that has been in my head for a while.

Growing up my grandfather had a Homelite T-10 and an Economy tractor. I would eventually like to find both of these (no other reason than nostalgia). The Homelite is easy I know the model number and what I am looking for. The Economy on the other hand is a little harder to nail down. I did not get to drive it as often as I did with the T-10, so I only have vague memories of it. Now I will profess I know nothing about Economy tractors except what I have learned from here and youtube. Here is what I think I am looking for:

An early 1970's Economy Jim Dandy with terra tread tires.

borrowed this from another thread.

What I know:
- it has terra tread tires
- it was 12 hp
- the clutch was sensitive :)
- the PTO was exposed like the one in this video, not behind the grill. Which I think came in the late 60's early 70's???

My grandfather traded it for a Gravely when I was 12-13 and I never really got a chance to drive it much. But I do remember it and I would like to have one. Just to park in the garage, nothing else.

So if I am looking for an early 1970's Jim Dandy how much should I expect to pay for one with just a deck????

Thanks!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hi,

So it appears you're looking for a "short" hood model that the last year made is 1972. The elec pto became part of the model change to the "long" hood models that started in 1973. One important change over the short hood years is that the earlier ones with elec start had the starter/generator and then changed to the side mounted electric starter and stator charging systems.

A suitable tractor should not be hard to come by but a nice deck might be more iffy. My estimate for tractor in running condition is $500-1000 and add
$200 for a useable deck.

I have 2 short hood tractors(Power King-not Jim Dandy) and have scrapped/sold the decks that were with them. I think they are robust, simple and interesting tractors that were made to last.
I enjoy working on mine and currently have 6 from a 1952 to a 1981.

Good luck

Chuck

·
Super Moderator
13,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that is exactly the type info I was looking for. I thought the break for the front differences (I now know it was the PTO) was sometime the in early 70's but I was not sure of the exact date.

Thanks for the price estimate too. The deck is not mandatory, but it would be nice. Next time I am home I will try and find some pictures to see if it has an electric starter or starter/generator. I cannot remember...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts