My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, sold my Craftsman and picked up a JD 115 Automatic, 2006. Very nice condition, see picture. But as we know, this is a rather cheaply made tractor compared to say a JD 316 or so. I have this sold. Anyway, I think I have it narrowed down to either an LX172 manual tranny, replaced last year, or there is a 180 as well as a 185 all of these are in the $700 range. Which do you think would be the better tractor. I mow a smaller yard and hope to pull/push my boat around a bit with it, no winter work for it. But I want something "substantial".

JD 115 Automatic

·
Super Moderator
35,835 Posts
If you don't mind some serious work there may even be a 318 available at that price level, but expect to sink a several hundred into one at that level just to make it run decently!

·
10,839 Posts
The motor in the 180/185 is very tough, super reliable. The 38" deck does a nice job of mowing, and baggers are available.
As far as towing, that would depend on how heavy the boat is and how much weight is on the tongue. If its a small fishing boat, the hydro would handle it just as well as the manual trannies.

·
Super Moderator
35,835 Posts
If you don't mind gears then a 212 or 216 would do just what you are asking and $700 would net you one in good condition.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
10,839 Posts
For strictly mowing, the 185 looks like the best deal. The 210 is the best choice for an all-around general yard use machine, but I don't think the price is a great deal. Not to mention the snowblower for a 200 series works well, is easy to find, and is reasonably priced.
The Simplicity is a better mowing machine from what I have heard. Meaning it will leave the yard looking nice. I'm just not a fan of Briggs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts