My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fairly new to this forum and have not had too many questions on my 448 this far. However, I have put the deck on one time and it seemed to work and sounded fine. (though i wasnt sure how things are supposed to sound). I toook the deck off and sharpened the blades and it was probably a month before i was able to put the deck back on. THis time around, it just doesnt sound smooth where the belt fits around the main pulley. the belt looks like it is rubbing on the bar that runs parallel to the ground on the mule drive. I will attach some pictures and if anyone could see if i have something wrong, please advise. I have tried to compare it to the manual images and it seems fine. One thing to note is when I have the hydaulic lifted all the way up, one side of the deck is higher than the other. Somehting just doesnt seem right. The sound from the pulley or spindle on the deck just doesnt sound like it is running smooth. It seems too loud. I have read posts where others have said the sound with the deck running is fairly quiet. Any feedback or advice is much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
I have never seen the the two front idler pulleys be that far out of alignment. They are more or less even on mine. Note that one chord of the belt is running at quite an angle. That bogus spring has to at least part of the problem.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when i loosen the key on the front of the mule drive, can i maybe adjust those pulleys to where they are even? As for the spring, how should it look when i have belt tight?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when i loosen the key on the front of the mule drive, can i maybe adjust those pulleys to where they are even? As for the spring, how should it look when i have belt tight?
I went back and looked in the manual and will try to readjust everything. Step by step. I appreicate your feedback.

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
You need to order the correct spring from Ingersoll ([email protected]) It will provide the proper tension. It`s a closely wound spring that when properly tightned has a gap equal to the wire diameter. Until you have the proper spring it`ll be a struggle to sort out any other issues. JMO

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
From looking at the photo's I think the belt tension is way to tight and the belt is stretched. I would replace the belt and the spring. Proper tension is achieved when the spring coils are spaced about the thickness of each coil. As for the deck hanging higher on one side, it could be the hanger brackets are worn in the slots. You can buy new brackets or put a bolt in the slot.

:trink40:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will do. i went home and loosened the tension at lunch and both pulleys were even. when i went to tighten up the belt, they started getting uneven. I appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
583 Posts
The deck drive belt on an N46 deck is best if an Ingersoll belt is used. Generally V belts come in 1/2" (4L) and 5/8" (5L). Many Ingersoll belts are proprietary and are 9/16" in width and this makes then unavailable in the aftermarket.
Of all the V belt applications on Case/Ingersoll tractors, the deck drive belt on 200 and 400 series tractors is probably the most important place to use an OEM Ingersoll belt followed by the deck belt under the cover or the driven belt. Having the correct tension spring is a must also. Make the tension spring adjustments with the deck in the mowing position and mower engaged. KEEP YOUR HANDS AWAY FROM MOVING PARTS WHILE MAKING THIS ADJUSTMENT!!!!
Bob MacGregor in CT:Stop::thThumbsU:praying:

·
Registered
583 Posts
I see in the pics that the tension adjustment spring is streached way out. Until this spring is replaced you will never ever come close to getting this system to work. The spring is part number C21942 and it is about two inches long before installed.
Bob MacGregor in CT

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks to everyone for the feedback. I am ordering the belts and spring from Brian Hildreth and will see what happens from there. Thanks!!

·
Registered
583 Posts
thanks to everyone for the feedback. I am ordering the belts and spring from Brian Hildreth and will see what happens from there. Thanks!!
I suggest having a couple tension springs as spares as when the spring is sprung so to speak then mowing is done until the spring is replaced.
I have never found a match for this spring at any hardware store and one local hardware store stocks 300 plus different springs.
Also the only time that I have had an Ingersoll deck drive belt fail was as result of the EZ Adjust clutch being out of adjustment and slipping, have a spare one of those also.
Bob MacGregor in CT:thThumbsU

·
Registered
583 Posts
I do an initial adjustment and then recheck it with deck in the lowered position and engaged. This is the position where the deck is doing its thing and where the tension spring adjustment should be correct. The spring coil spacing is the thickness of the wire in the spring. With a new belt this will change as the belt settles in and readjustments will need to be done. On a 400 series tractor you can see the spring from the operators seat on the left side in the opening of the mule drive and you can periodically look at it as you mow.

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
On a 400 series tractor you can see the spring from the operators seat on the left side in the opening of the mule drive and you can periodically look at it as you mow.
And pray tell how does one keep an eye on the fill level of the cup holder at the same time whilst maintaining line discipline ? Let us establish our priorities..

·
Registered
583 Posts
And pray tell how does one keep an eye on the fill level of the cup holder at the same time whilst maintaining line discipline ? Let us establish our priorities..
You gotta use a sippie cup velcroed to your chest hair like I do, and use a large diameter straw!!! LOL:drunkie::coffee::fam32::bump9:
Bob MacGregor in CT

1 - 15 of 15 Posts