My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - New to this forum & have a question about a new 4 year old Conquest, still in the crate, for sale @ a former Simplicity dealer. It has a 44" deck & a 16hp Honda engine. They're selling it @ their cost of $3,400. I haven't seen the tractor, but they will show it to me if I'm interested. I don't know if this is a fair price & wonder if a tractor sitting crated for 4 years is truly "new" or subject to age-related problems from sitting. I presently have a JD Lt155 that's given me 12 trouble-free years but want to get something more substantial & am also considering a new JD X300 for about the same price as this Conquest.

Thoughts appreciated.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
How about the warranty? It should be like a new one's, but ask, and maybe get it in writing before the sale.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
New in the crate is new in the crate no matter how long it's been sitting, IMO. If it was stored under cover and kept dry it'll be good as new cause it is. That's a good price on alot more tractor/lawn mower that the x3 deere IMO. I personally never heard of a Honda engine being offered in a Simplicity LT of GT. Most all that I know of (Conquest) came with a Brigg's Vanguard.

MU

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They said they'd service the tractor and it would be under the factory warranty. I was curious, too, about the Honda engine, but I don't know anything about Simplicity products.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
You can always email Simplicity and ask them if they ever put a Honda engine in a conquest. I know you will love the way that tractor performs and you won't find a better cutting mower out there.

·
Registered
499 Posts
If it was stored by a dealer, it is new, and you should have no worries. I bought one with the 16HP Vanguard this spring, with just 100 hours on it, and I consider that new LOL. Anyway the cut is great! Best lawn cut I have ever had, and I did not put new blades on it. I don't know if I would do much heavy work with it though. I have used Ingersoll/ Case for about 35 years for tilling, plowing, etc. Even my JD 265 which I now till with, seems heavier than the Conquest. But for mowing alone, it can't be beat.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a 20 hp Conquest that had the smallest engine on them in 2005. A 20 hp Vanguard. The ones with the Honda engine may be 2003. I paid $4000 then.

Kevin

·
Registered
511 Posts
I would think it would be considerably less expensive given it IS 4 years old regardless of being used or not. Going back through my catalog I don't see a Honda offering...I'd take a personal look at it to verify what engine it has...likely a Briggs. I'd also offer much less than that for it...his cost is really irrelevant, the only thing that matters is your cost and his desire to move it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'm going to pass on this offer. I have to agree w/ Prestigious1's thoughts - no matter how I look @ it, it's still a 4 yr. old tractor & I question the Honda engine. The shop that's selling it is also questionable. By appearances it looks out of business, with a few weathered & shabby tractors outside that have been there for years. It's not that I don't trust them but I question how long they'll remain open for business.

I've decided to go w/ a Kubota T1880 or T2080. I'm sure many on this forum will disagree w/my choice but it is a nice piece of equipment for the same money as the 4 yr. old Conquest w/ 2 yrs. no interest payments + dealer service is excellent, if a bit far away.

Thanks for all your responses to my questions.

·
Cub Cadet Junkie
124 Posts
I see you passed but I was going to add that tires, belts, and other plastic / rubber pieces age, and cylinders can get humidity related rusting. "At cost" wouldn't be good enough for me at 4 years old. Kind of a shame that it's sitting!

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Last Sept. I bought a new 2004 left over Ingersoll 318LGT still in crate. Great tractor and no problems with it all. It took a new battery and that was it. Tires and belts were in great shape and no rust on it anywhere. slkpk

·
Super Moderator
16,327 Posts
It's not a Conquest if it has a Honda Engine in it. It is a Broadmoor and the last Year the Honda engine was used in the Broadmoor was 2004

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
It's not a Conquest if it has a Honda Engine in it. It is a Broadmoor and the last Year the Honda engine was used in the Broadmoor was 2004
That would certainly affect the price, making it less of a bargain. I, too, would be leery of something that sat around for four years in questionable conditions.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
I dont know what it is, but simplicity crates their mowers exceptionally well.

We get em all crated up on all sides and re-inforced for stacking. THe mower itself is plastic wrapped, then draped with a heavy mil plastic sheet that is stapled to the base. The mower is strapped to the crate with steel straps, front, rear, and all 4 tires.

The tires will be fine, the belts might vibrate some at first but will likely be just fine as well. It will need a new battery, which the dealer will put in when serviced. The cylinders are fogged with oil for long sits from the factory, we always get a quick burst of smoke when we first fire one up. The motors are shipped half full of oil, so it hasnt been dry.

4 years isnt that bad...We have uncrated mowers that have been in the warehouse for 2+ years and they are factory fresh, and Im in the dirty, humid south.

We have Massey Z's that sat at another dealers for probably 3 years and some of that was outside storage, no signs of wear at all, like brand new.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts