My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just brought this basket case home last night. It's missing some parts that the PO is going to try to locate for me. As a backup plan, I'm on the lookout for a 316/318 donor. I think the 3 pt and rear PTO are complete. Bar tires are bad but still have the tits on them - tubes should do the trick. Has a B43G engine with 470 hours. It has some extra cables/wires coming out of it that the engineering dept used for testing. The story I got was this was used by an engineering firm that Deere contracted out to test rear tillers and a rear snow blower. When they were done, it followed an engineer home. He sold it to the guy I got it off of. While he was out of town, his son tried using it and a mouse nest jammed in the starter. Not knowing what all was involved, the guy told his son to take the starter out and clean it. Obviously, he was much better at taking apart than he was putting back together. First thing I need is some front rims/tires so I can wheel it out of my truck bed... I have a new dash and tower coming from ebay. Anyone have any donors sitting around with front end parts/engine tins/air cleaner?

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not pictured are the hood - it says 317 which I thought was strange. I'm hoping this isn't a Deere Frankenstein that they put together with all diff kinds of parts. I need to take the serial tag off to see what it says under and get a grip on the year. I am considering a 85 316 w/the Onan to use as a donor. In theory, shouldn't most front end parts interchange? What about the air cleaner and engine shields? Let me know what you guys think, and also if you have any parts.

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
33,699 Posts
What front end parts do you need? I have a complete front axle with both spindles. Pretty heavy so shipping would be expensive! I'm in NW PA are you in NE Ohio? By the way you have one of the very few OEM rear lockout valves I've seen! Looks like you got yourself a decent deal there! If you decide to part that I'd like to have the lockout valve!

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
I'm guessing ... Don't even go there KATT:Stop:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm actually in east central Indiana. I have the axle and power steering parts. To be honest, I don't even know what I need as I've never seen a tractor that was disassembled like this one is. I'm missing all the bolts, some sheet metal, front tires and some more. I'm going to have to find someone real familiar with this tractor to tell me what I'm missing.

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
pga.
i have engine tins and air cleaner.
e/mail or call 651 437 2826
m/f 4to 8 pm s/s i to 7 pm cent time
thank you boomer(the used onan engine parts guy)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can anyone confirm that if this is an 83' 318, that most parts from an 85' 316 will interchange? I know the engines are different, B43E vs B43G, and that there is no power steering on the 316. Should I be able to use most of the other parts though?

·
Three of my friends
9,004 Posts
Yes,you will be able to use 316 stuff,the engines will interchange,the letter desigination will not effect the fit.The 318 was just a 316 with power steering and oil cooler,some had P218 electronis ignition in them.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking at these pics, I don't see the relief valve knob under the seat. Also, there is a hole on the right side foot rest by where your heel would sit. I didn't notice a knob sticking out but the fender deck isn't bolted down all the way. I'm wondering if this means this tractor has the differential lock, or just the wrong fender deck on it... Any thoughts?

·
GANG GREEN GIZMOW KILLER!
1,244 Posts
Wow, thats one of the most baskety basket cases I have ever seen.

Look under the seat pan and see if there are two rods sticking out of the trans on the right side. These would be for the Hi/Lo and also the posi.

I say look for both as the fender pan has the hi/Lo cutout also.

Could just be the fender was replaced though.

·
Registered
469 Posts
You have a little gem there...I would hang on to that if I were you. Collectors love the weird & unusual.
John Deere would send tractors to engineering for upgrades, parts improvements, testing etc....they have been doing that since the first tractor rolled off the line but very few survive.

I have a John Deere R that was sent to engineering....just about every part number on the tractor begins with "X" and the front axle is one of a kind.....Deere had a testing ground in Arkansas and was developing a "Rice & Cane" tractor so my R was one of the first tested.

I would not part that 318 out....NO WAY.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Forgot to mention....don't worry about all the extra drilled holes and weird fender pan that's what the engineering department did....it was not about looks but function as they made "improvements". It will not be like any other 318.

Restore it and it will be worth triple what a normal 318 would sell for to the right collector.....

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks IRDEERE, I've been trying to get this tractor for a year now. I have no plans on parting it out. I wouldn't even know what to advertise it as, since I'm not 100% sure what it is - other than a Frankenstein of sorts... Funny you mention extra drilled holes, as the hood has several holes drilled in it on the top and towards the front. The engine has some extra wires and cables with weird connectors that I'm assuming were used for testing, they probably were ran thru these holes. I just hope (pray more like) that the PO finds the parts that are missing. I do not have much confidence that will happen though... I think I'm going to bite on this 316 I found to try to use for donor parts... I need to find someone smart on the 318 that is close to me and that is willing to help me put this thing back together... Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Thanks IRDEERE, I've been trying to get this tractor for a year now. I have no plans on parting it out. I wouldn't even know what to advertise it as, since I'm not 100% sure what it is - other than a Frankenstein of sorts... Funny you mention extra drilled holes, as the hood has several holes drilled in it on the top and towards the front. The engine has some extra wires and cables with weird connectors that I'm assuming were used for testing, they probably were ran thru these holes. I just hope (pray more like) that the PO finds the parts that are missing. I do not have much confidence that will happen though... I think I'm going to bite on this 316 I found to try to use for donor parts... I need to find someone smart on the 318 that is close to me and that is willing to help me put this thing back together... Thanks for the feedback!
Very welcome....when I saw your engineering tag I knew it would have drilled holes all over it.
My model R had holes drilled all in the hood and I decided not to fill them...left them "as is".

Check out some of the part numbers on the frame and see if they look normal or maybe have a different prefix at the start of the part number.....write down the part numbers then go to JDparts.com and enter the part numbers and see what model they match.

The part # may not have a match or it might bring up a earlier model parts match before 1983.

You can also contact the John Deere archives and they should be able to give you more info about the engineering numbers on the tag....John Deere always kept detailed information on just about every tractor made.

Call this number 1 888-782-2582 it's a club I'm a member of based in Iowa....they usually charge $35 to search the John Deere company archives to find detailed information for collectors about certain tractors.

If they do not have info on the 318 they can probably point you to someone dealing with the Horicon works that will, just tell them what you have.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Checked tonight, no locker or 2 speed. This tractor must be a mutt. 420 fender, 317 hood and 318 hydraulics and engine. I took the serial plate off hoping there was something under it. No such luck. All I can find is the tractor serial number X162T0018M and engine serial B43G-GA013/PILOT-MOD. Got me stumped. I'm picking up a 316 for parts this weekend - will make quite the red headed stepchild...I will try your suggestions and see I can find some more info. Thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
33,699 Posts
Guess maybe I sent some folks down the wrong path. The lockout on the tractor that is unusual is the hydraulic lockout valve (2nd picture the small box looking control by the hydraulic levers) for the rear hydraulic cylinder.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I thought that was what you were referring to. I looked back at the pics and could just barely make out the lockout valve in the back. I thought you must have eagle eyes if could make out any details on it. Anyway - I will get this 316 and use it as a donor. Should make for a good winter project.

·
Three of my friends
9,004 Posts
I don't think the fender pan is off a 420,they are physically longer than the 318 by about 6 inches.After spending time with the 420 I think that the only interchangeable parts would be the motor,everything else is LARGER,maybe the steering wheel,tail lights,oil cooler,rear end?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts