My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 266 Posts

·
Super Moderator
45,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I hinted at it a bit in the What did you do on your John Deere thread yesterday, went this morning and did a nice quick thorough checkout on a X728 that has the brush guard and fenders that I picked up for the same price that the JD dealer wanted for a X720. Has 885 hours on the clock:

Plant Green Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

No frame cracks! (thanks for reminding me to check it @Steve Urquell )
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Deck has some wear on it and paint on the rear fender is pretty scratched:

Wheel Tire Lawn mower Vehicle Riding mower

Seat cushion has some cracks, I will probably just get a cover for it.

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Riding mower

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Green Hood

All controls and lights work as they should to include both hydraulic spool controls:

Tire Wheel Riding mower Tractor Vehicle

Tire Wheel Lawn mower Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
13,348 Posts
Well, I hinted at it a bit in the What did you do on your John Deere thread yesterday, went this morning and did a nice quick thorough checkout on a X728SE that I picked up for the same price that the JD dealer wanted for a X720. Has 885 hours on the clock:

View attachment 2545541

View attachment 2545543
View attachment 2545542

View attachment 2545544

View attachment 2545545

View attachment 2545546

All controls and lights work as they should to include both hydraulic spool controls:

View attachment 2545547

View attachment 2545548
Congrats man. I think you're gonna love the foot controlled hydro. Loader or 3pt hitch plans?

·
Super Moderator
45,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats man. I think you're gonna love the foot controlled hydro. Loader plans?
We'll see, I'll probably be selling off two of the 322's (yes folks expect to see a bunch of stuff being listed soon!) and some attachments to get some "toys" for the X728, loader will definitely be something I will be looking at.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I noticed the seat thing too - i wonder if they sold off the fancy seat or it needed replacing and it was cheaper to go with the stock seat and track. I think the SE seat is (or very close to) a Milsco V5300 like shown here: GRAY MILSCO V5300 SUSPENSION SEAT FOR NISSAN, MISUBISHI, FORKLIFT #OK - Seat Warehouse

Or is it air ride: MILSCO V5400 AIR RIDE SEAT, HUSTLER, EXMARK, TORO, BOBCAT, DIXIE CHOPPER, ZERO TURN #JQ - Seat Warehouse

I was pretty happy with the Kumar Brothers seat cover but i'm sure the genuine JD one is a bit heavier; it at least more $$$! Here's a link: Seat Cover (LARGE) LP92334 Fits John Deere Mower & Gator seats up to 18" High | eBay

Congrats on your purchase - i'm sure you'll love it.

·
Super Moderator
45,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeehaw!! Big Congrats!

I see it’s an AWD version. 👍 What year is it?

I am wondering if it is actually an SE - - the seat doesn’t match. Maybe someone swapped seats?

Any upgrade plans? 3PH?
It's a 2011 (guess I finally joined this century!) it's full time 4wd so I believe that was the SE model that had that. The guy doing the consignment sale had a fairly steep little hill there that was soaked from a rain last night, it climbed it without spinning a tire, pretty sure that the 322's would have at least spun some. I talked him down $500 off his asking price and that will go directly to buying a 3 pt. hitch for it. I was going to buy a new X758 but the price on this was too good to let it go. Even if I were to spin it I could make about $1,500 - $2,000 on it (not my plan though!).

·
Super Moderator
45,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I noticed the seat thing too - i wonder if they sold off the fancy seat or it needed replacing and it was cheaper to go with the stock seat and track. I think the SE seat is (or very close to) a Milsco V5300 like shown here: GRAY MILSCO V5300 SUSPENSION SEAT FOR NISSAN, MISUBISHI, FORKLIFT #OK - Seat Warehouse

Or is it air ride: MILSCO V5400 AIR RIDE SEAT, HUSTLER, EXMARK, TORO, BOBCAT, DIXIE CHOPPER, ZERO TURN #JQ - Seat Warehouse

I was pretty happy with the Kumar Brothers seat cover but i'm sure the genuine JD one is a bit heavier; it at least more $$$! Here's a link: Seat Cover (LARGE) LP92334 Fits John Deere Mower & Gator seats up to 18" High | eBay

Congrats on your purchase - i'm sure you'll love it.
Not sure about the seat, it may have been replaced.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Anything 2009 and newer is HFWD/AWD. The 2006 - 2008 models were MFWD machines very similar to the previous x585 models. I think the SE package included the upgraded seat, brush guard, front fenders and the spoked wheels. In this market if you think you got a good deal then you did!

·
Premium Member
7,750 Posts
Well, I hinted at it a bit in the What did you do on your John Deere thread yesterday, went this morning and did a nice quick thorough checkout on a X728SE that I picked up for the same price that the JD dealer wanted for a X720. Has 885 hours on the clock:

View attachment 2545541

View attachment 2545543
View attachment 2545542

View attachment 2545544

View attachment 2545545

View attachment 2545546

View attachment 2545547

View attachment 2545548
Do I know you?

Congratulations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Likes Vintage JDs
12,703 Posts
OK, may have just been a brush guard and fender upgrade as is doesn't have the SE wheels either. I didn't even notice that until now.

Yeah, I believe that is the answer. The SE version also had “Special Edition” decals on the rear fenders. Still, the brush guard and front fenders are very nice to have. 👍

Being a 2011, couple things to be aware of:

- If you add a rear PTO, it needs to be the later version that came out mid-2010. Not an issue if buying new as it will be tied to your serial #, but if purchasing used something to be careful about.

- Your fuel capacity is only 5-5.5 gallons (can’t remember the exact amount) due to them adding a bladder in the tank to reduce vapor emissions. So don’t be surprised by that and try to add 6.5 gallons like the diesels have and earlier model year gassers.

·
Super Moderator
45,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anything 2009 and newer is HFWD/AWD. The 2006 - 2008 models were MFWD machines very similar to the previous x585 models. I think the SE package included the upgraded seat, brush guard, front fenders and the spoked wheels. In this market if you think you got a good deal then you did!
The JD Dealer wanted to sell me an X720 for the same price I got this. It was 2016 with 214 hrs on it, I still think I have the better deal for snowblowing etc.... I use mine all year round! Probably going to make a custom soft side cab for it, nothing fancy just something to keep snow off me when working in the winter.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
2022 Toyota 4Runner
7,196 Posts
Hey Congrats. I think you'll love it. Looks very much like my 2010 x728 with the addition of front fenders and grill guard. I'd say it was not an SE, but had a couple things added to it over time. Is that a 62" deck? And did it come with a quick hitch?

Reactions: Equipment guy

·
Super Moderator
45,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jere, yes a 62" deck and no front attachments of any sort ..... yet! I did look at your front wheel issue with the tie rod last night before checking it out this morning and everything was tight on this machine. He obviously had something for it as the hydraulic connectors showed some definite wear on the caps. Also both levers were loose and it went into float position just fine.

·
Registered
Cub cadet 1772 diesel, Deere 322, Ford 9n, IH2400a
333 Posts
We'll see, I'll probably be selling off two of the 322's (yes folks expect to see a bunch of stuff being listed soon!) and some attachments to get some "toys" for the X728, loader will definitely be something I will be looking at.
Wow congrats that foot hydro looks like a nice feature. I wish I was closer cus I would love a 322 or two. I hope you have fun with that unit

1 - 20 of 266 Posts