My Tractor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you for the welcome. Its great to have a resource like this forum to research potential purchases and help to get the most out of the equipment.
I appreciate the quick response, I'm going to call about the used jd first and see what kind of deal can be struck.
Wally

·
Registered
12 Posts
Okay, so on the subject of blowers, I have to share my story...
Remember those Orange Scotts garden tractors Home Depot used to sell? Well believe it or not, there are still attachments floating around out there in warehouses. A nice fellow in eastern PA came across two 42" blowers, in the boxes, with all attaching parts, including the front lift kits. He assumed they were made for the G100. Actually I believe they were made for the Scotts 2048. The part numbers were screwy. On the deere attachment spreadsheet, the 42" blowers part numbers are listed as: BM16728 and BM18187 (265,325, GX and like only), and BM 18789 (all 200 and 300 series, GT, GX). The part number for this particular 42" blower was BM19922. And of course it was black, to further add to the confusion. My Dad has a GT262 with the BM18187 blower. It doesn't fit my GT262 (also at his home in PA) because the frame rails do not provide proper clearance of the steering components. On the BM18789, the frame rails are bent slightly, making it compatible with all these tractors. This black blower had bent frame rails, and looked identical to the parts diagrams of the BM18789. The gentleman wanted $250 for the complete blower, and mentioned that he had an additional blower which was missing a few parts. I offered him $300 for the pair. My brother picked it up last week (I'm in NC) and installed it yesterday. Perfect fit on my GT262. So long story short: the black BM19922 is identical to the BM18789. So if you own a LX172-LX289, 240-285, GT242-GT275, 320-355D, GT225-GT245, or GX255-GX355 and you're looking for a 42" blower, keep an eye out for the black ones. You'll get it dirt cheap (because few people know what it fits), and usually non-tractor guys are selling them, picked up at some warehouse liquidation sale for almost nothing.
$2,400 of new-old-stock equipment for $300. I think it was a good deal.

What to do with the second blower... I also have a GT225, in NC. I have absolutely no use for a blower here, but I won't be in the service forever, will probably end up back in PA, and hopefully will still have the tractor. That or I'll just sell it next November with a detailled description of the many tractors it will fit.

BTW, I picked up the GT262 (w/48c) for $500, and the enclosure for $150. And last year we picked up the 265 with a blower, deck and blade for $1500. I found two pairs of cast iron weights for $200; he'll be putting them on the gt262 pretty soon. We'll see if he can get away with the fluid filled bar tires and weights (over 100 lbs per wheel) without havng to add chains. The whole point of equipping the GT262 with the blower was to have one with a blade and one with a blower ready for whatever wintry mix arrives. It would have been nice if the blade/blower from the 265 had fit the gt262, but then I wouldn't have found this great deal.
:trink39:
It's amazing what stuff you can find on eBay if you're patient and checking it frequently.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
With all those part numbers, I knew I'd screw it up...
My dad has a 265 (as pictured with plow), not a GT262, and the blower from the 265 does not fit my GT262. But the black blower from the S2048 fits both.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Syd - I'm thinking about buying an X300 and would love to snowblow my driveway with it at some point so thanks for the great video. I was wondering if a setup like yours would have any problem blowing snow up hill? My driveway goes up hill towards the street just enough so cars sometimes spin out in the driveway if it's slippery under the snow. Of course they don't have chains on the tires!

The other question I have is if your rear tires are stock or not? Not sure if it's the chains or the black weights but it almost looks like the rear tires on your X300 are larger than the ones it comes with. I'm wondering if it's possible to put a larger more aggressive rim/tire package on the X300 for more traction.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Hi Joe,

Thanks for your comment.

I am not sure if the X300 would do well climbing a slippery slope. The chains add great traction on snow, but when the bottom is icy, it spins when the blower meets resistance.
More weight behind makes a lot of difference. Sometimes I also adjst the seat to its last position and it seems to increase traction (the operator is thereore sat further behind)
Also maybe v-chains would add traction on ice (I dont have v-chains).
You might also consider the higher end models which have a left foot push button to lock the rear diff.

I am using the stock tires, but the black weights are about 2 inch wide. Maybe that is why the tires look wider.

Hope it answers your questions.

Syd

Syd - I'm thinking about buying an X300 and would love to snowblow my driveway with it at some point so thanks for the great video. I was wondering if a setup like yours would have any problem blowing snow up hill? My driveway goes up hill towards the street just enough so cars sometimes spin out in the driveway if it's slippery under the snow. Of course they don't have chains on the tires!

The other question I have is if your rear tires are stock or not? Not sure if it's the chains or the black weights but it almost looks like the rear tires on your X300 are larger than the ones it comes with. I'm wondering if it's possible to put a larger more aggressive rim/tire package on the X300 for more traction.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
marineguy,

Intersted in your extra blower for my GT262. Just don't think it'd be economical to ship from NC to MI. I have a brother in law that drives semi (and lives close to me), if I could work something out with him when he's out that way I'd gladly buy it from you for half what you bought the pair for ($150). What exactly is the second blower missing? Would I have to buy any other sub-frame to mount it to my GT262?

·
Citizen of Earth
15,291 Posts
Hey Marine guy,
Those black blowers are made by Berco up in Canada for Deere. The folks at Berco make good stuff!

·
Registered
12 Posts
bontai joe,
I'm pretty sure they're not Bercomac blowers. They have John Deere labels, are identical to JD blowers, and mount to the tractor with JD parts; they're just black instead of yellow. I think Bercomac only makes 40, 44 and 48" blowers. This is a 42".

mkaiser,
Thanks, but I think I'm just going to hang onto both of them.
Hope you're enjoying the GT262.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks for sharing, i just bought a X300, with plans of adding the 44" snow blower come winter.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have a la 145 with a snowblower and i wouldn't recomend it for this model there is no traction even with weight and chains. I have to get a run and ram the drifts to make a path. Can't just start the blower and blow a path. I'm very disappointed. I'm thinking about buying an older 314 that has a snowblower would this be a better setup for me? I have a drive way that is about 100ft by 50ft wide and the drift blows in about 2-4ft deep. The la works but it is very hard on it, would the 314 be enough?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am thinking about getting a new X300 with the snow blower but I have some concerns. I have a driveway that is about 150-200 feet with probably a 15 degree incline. I'm concerned that the X300 won't be able to make it up in driveway with weights and chains if it gets slippery as it seems to do up in New Hampshire. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thinking about getting a similar set-up.

How long do you think it would take a x324 with blower to clear out 12" on snow on 5,000 square feet of driveway?

·
Registered
190 Posts
cool video, I just got my 165 with blower cant wait to try it out. I was looking at the 300 but went with 165 because of more hp and its a smaller unit. I own my own lawn care business and need to be able to get in to peoples back yard with a bagger on the mower.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Great video.....I've had my X300 for 2 years, and just got the blower on Craigslist for.......$600.00. I love it when people move to Calif. :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Sidponcho, you got the blower for a real bargain !
Here in Canada it retails for over 2 grands (with chains/weights/lift spring assist)!

Syd
Syd.....sometimes we just get lucky...they wanted $1900 US for a new one. I do have a question about the lift assist. I installed it and ran the threaded rod down about 1/2 way. The pedal is still a little hard to push. Do you recall how much thread was showing when you adjusted yours?

Cheers
Sidponcho

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Syd.....sometimes we just get lucky...they wanted $1900 US for a new one. I do have a question about the lift assist. I installed it and ran the threaded rod down about 1/2 way. The pedal is still a little hard to push. Do you recall how much thread was showing when you adjusted yours?

Cheers
Sidponcho
Don't you have a sticker on the frame (on the brake pedal side) ? It shows where the spring should be for the deck, the blower and whatever other attachment that can be mounted on the front end.

If you dont have it let me know I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Syd

41 - 60 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.