My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out about a guy that wants to sell his Case 444 & contacted him. It turns out that he has two (2) Case 444's & wants to get rid of both of them. One has the motor out & supposedly has a broken rod. The other is complete, but not running. He say that he wants $500 for both of them. I'm going to go look at them tomorrow while my wife is working. I'm thinking that I could at least get parts to fix mine up, have spare rear rims & be able to part out the rest to recover my cost. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I'm thinking that I could at least get parts to fix mine up, have spare rear rims & be able to part out the rest to recover my cost. What do you think?
Funny, that's what I thought when I bought my first "parts" tractor some 18 tractors ago. The problem is when you get them home you find there really isn't that much wrong with them so you fix it up and look for another "parts" tractor.

·
Super Moderator
32,048 Posts
Ya, thats what I did also Bart.. Picked up a 222 parts tractor... Well I had to get it running to make sure the engine worked... Been using it ever sence.. think on year 3 now. :D :D

·
16,672 Posts
The wife will get over it... Move over dog I'm coming in...
I like Kbeitz's way of thinking...only stay mad sooooooooooo long..

At least the temps are getting warmer--you won't have to have a fire @ night, except to cook the beans on...:hide:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya, I would have been there allready!!!!!!!!!

And WHERE in NY are you now........ :D :D
I live near the PA line, but I'm a truck driver & have dragged stuff home from far & wide.......to my wife's displeasure!:ROF

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well, I went to look at them. They are both really rough & I couldn't spend $500 right now anyway.

The guy had taken the engine out of the one in roughest condition & put it into the better one a few years ago. That's the one that now has a broken rod. (according to him) He says that he came home from vacation in the winter & found that the tarp he had it covered with had blown off & pulled the dipstick out. He thinks that water got into the engine & when he started it the rod broke. This tractor has a snow plow on it, but he wants to keep it to try to use it on a 224 that he also has. I don't think that it will mount on the 224.
The rougher tractor still doesn't have an engine in it, but the engine that came from the better tractor is going with this one. He said that he made the switch because this engine used a lot of oil & smoked. This tractor also has a sleeve hitch, but is missing the lift bar. (he didn't know what the sleeve hitch was & I didn't tell him) There is a mower deck with this tractor too, but one spindle has been removed & is MIA.

Well, after talking to him for way too long, I asked him what he would take for the tractor with the engine out. He asked, " how about a hundred bucks for the tractor with the engine that used oil, the mower deck & that other piece? (sleeve hitch)
I brought that tractor home with me.:D I'm going to use the sleeve hitch & rear wheels on my good 444 and probably part out the rest to re-coupe my investment & maybe a little extra.:fing02:

Oh.......I almost forgot. He has a Troy Built tractor sitting there thas has a 14HP (I think he said 14) Vanguard engine. He wants to sell the other 444 & the Troy Built together to someone who wants to re-power the 444. He mentioned $700, but I think that was when he was talking about both 444's & the Troy Built. If anyone's interested, I can give you the contact info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts