My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

With all the talk of snow out east , and my thought that weight is your friend when it comes to winter tasks, I thought I'd share a few pics of a weight bracket I made for the 648 here.

It is all made from cutoffs and materials I had here at the shack.

I made this one to mount along with the backhoe bracket ,but could just as easily done without.

The bracket of course precludes any use of rear ground engaging implements but for this machine, Pops and I really did not mind at all as it has a loader for engaging the ground.:D

The weights are just big blocks of rebar reinforced concrete , all leftovers. We tossed in nuts, bolts, whatever steel bits that were in hanging around in the scrap bin that would fit, and buried them in the concrete , being careful not to put them where we would later have to drill the holes for the rod.

After the concrete was set, but still green, we drilled some aligned some holes in the blocks and use 3/4" threaded rod to make a concrete sandwich to keep the blocks from sliding around. It works rather well.

All told, with all the weights on, it comes in around 700 to 800# of counterweight, though that is in theory only as I have not actually weighed it all up as a unit.

The ball hitch is just a tab welded on the rear tube, but it works great as Pops and I pretty much have everything setup with 2" balls. For the other stuff, we just grab another tractor.

It is due for a new paint job, as the last one really was quite poor, sorry. I think that it should be some color other than black, however.

Enjoy.

Attachments

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bottom shot, where the 3/4" rods mount for the concrete sandwich.

One can see it gets a little beat up over time, as it reduced the climbout angle of the machine a touch. But, that's okay, it really should not be climbing real aggressively anyways.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts