My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been asked a lot of questions about the VW in my avatar, and then asked by a member to post more about it here. So here goes,

It is a 1963 VW crewcab pickup, they are very rare as I've been told there are about 50 on the road in the US. There may be more in the UK but here, and in CA. where my wife and I found this I have never seen more than 10 at a time, the Crews anyways.

It is a three door, the truck bed sides fold down to make it a flat bed, It had a cover a lot like a Conostoga wagon, but really hard to find. It is and was a commercial truck, so it is low geared which is why Vassar Auto in No. CA. balanced the motor when it was built as it tachs out at freeway speeds, but handles it just fine.

This Vermont farmboy took up surfing in Ca. while living there for 18 yrs. and was talking to my friend about how one of these rigs would make the best Surf rig possible. He informed me that there was one sitting in a yard in the next town and had been there forever. We stopped on our way back from the beach to look at it. No windows, motor, rear panel,seats shot, trees(yes trees) growing out of the back, you get the picture. I asked the wife what she wanted for it,(husband wasn't home) and got it for 450.00

The neighbors were not happy when that was towed home! (Her husband was ****** as well as he didn't want to sell it, I learned this after the fact)
So Kathy and I went to work on it. Several Bug bashes for hard to find parts, a lot of elbow grease,(Her Mom driving into the front of it on purpose, don't get me started on that one!) And the garage paint job, and it is what it is. Is the truck perfect, no, but I wanted to use it and have. We sure do get looks while driving it and it was almost used in the movie Patch Adams.

When done the neighbors weren't so angry to see it. Here are some pics.

Attachments

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
A very unique vehicle. You are a lucky owner.

·
Once was a Super Member
13,692 Posts
I would love to take it off your hands

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would love to take it off your hands
Thanks Wingnut,(I surfed with a guy by that name..) We have had a lot of offers, and I joke about it some times, but I'll be buried in it more than likely!:ROF

I have asked for the approx. value but as in all things that are collectible and rare it depends who is buying. The least I have heard is in the 20,000 range but have seen some on ebay for much less.

·
MTF Member Since Day 1
623 Posts
I like that Gerryw, I'm not sure I've ever seen one before, maybe I have and just thought someone chopped a van up again.

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,236 Posts
Gerry
Thanks for sharing. That is the first VW I have ever seen like that.
My cousin had a Ford cab-over pick-up similar, but that is definitely unique.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Looks great man. You did a great job.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,538 Posts
I love that Bus!..
I had a 1963 "Khombi" factory camper bus ,that my uncle sold me when I was 16,for the grand sum of one dollar!..it had a wood paneled interior,the seats all folded down to make a bed using the "kitchen" table as part of the support for the cushions,and there was a "honey bucket" toilet in the seat right behind the driver (which I used as sparsely as possible,for obvious reasons!)...it had crank out jalouise windows,and I liked the "slider" windows on the front doors,no cranks to screw up!--it was real popular with the girls,they loved that thing,almost as much as I did..I put more miles on it off the road than on it I think--used to camp in it a lot in state parks locally :D

I had a blast in that thing,and seeing yours brings back a flood of memories..mine was red and white too!--red on the bottom,white on top..
I painted it from front to rear with rustoleum and a brush,did several coats,then buffed the crap out of it with a buffer and gallons on 3M "super duty rubbing compund"--it rivaled a spray job from Maaco when I was done with it..not perfect,but it looked very respectable!..it had already been patched up with tin and pop rivets on the rear doors and rockers by the time I got it,so I wasn't looking to make it TOO pretty either..

My uncle had bought it when he came over from Germany in the 60's,and put a LOT of miles on it,travelling across the country in it--he wanted to see the grand canyon,rocky mountains,and california..he eventually got sick with cancer and he gave the bus to another uncle,his brother,and he also took it from Boston to CA and AK twice!..ended up having the 1500cc engine rebuilt in CA,he said it cost him 400 bucks for the entire job!..the tranny in it was so worn in 4th gear,you either had to hold it in 4th,or hook a bunjie cord onto the shifter to keep it in gear!..

I never bothered to replace it,otherwise it worked fine..only thing I ever had troubles with in the drive train was the rear wheel bearings in the reduction boxes went bad,luckily I replaced them in time before the balls went into the gears,like a neighbors Bus did!..what a mess his was,it locked the wheels up and skidded to an abrupt halt,after destroying the gears!..

I recall the first day I put mine on the road..I had "borrowed" the rims and tires off the Bus for my '63 Beetle,which was my first car,and only stuck the bald Bug's tires on with the lugs finger tight,and popped the hub caps back on,months before!--about a mile from my house on my maiden voyage,the Bus began ocillating up an down like a yo-yo,and I barely got it into someones driveway,and discovered only ONE lug bolt was still holding the front tire on,and was only in about two threads too!..had to jack it up and tighten ALL 4 rims up!..
---then about another mile down the road,I decided to open that "ventilator" on the roof,and a million yellow jackets came flying out of it!..had to ditch it on the side of the road,and RUN!..we ran to a gas station down the road a ways,and luckily the guy had some carb cleaner for sale,and I bought 3 cans and used them to kill the wasps!..

I dont even know if I have a photo of that Bus now that I think of it..or my Bug either..my dad probably took home movies of me in my VW's,but all those 8mm films are either lost or junk now I bet,but my sister had some converted to VHS..my best friend who died at age 36 from heart disease ,I never had a picture of him either,to remember him by..we had some really "high times" in that Bus..wish I still had it,but it'd be in several peices and a pile of rust flakes now,if I did!..same as all my other vehicles I've had to watch rot away to nothing here..:(

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
How is the cooling with using the power pulley?

·
Citizen of Earth
15,295 Posts
Your mother-in-law drove into it on purpose? That is just so wrong and painful on many levels. Nice truck! I have seen maybe 2 regular cab pick-ups but never a crew cab. My first car was a '65 Beatle, and I loved it, wish I still had one. About as easy to work on as a lawn tractor, simple reliable machines.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How is the cooling with using the power pulley?
Fine, it doesn't even begin to run hot, But I have an extra large oil sump with high performance cooling fins/attachments. That with the extra louvers cut into the back and it runs warm at best after a long trip.

Tractor-Holic, great story, my wife was good enough to take pics of the restro, and also of when we pulled it into the yard, wish we had gotten some of the neighbors! She also shot a movie of my friend and I painting that thing in my one car garage! We both kept our lungs clear with about a case of beer each.(Back when I drank) Come to think of it the neighbors weren't too pleased about that as well!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your mother-in-law drove into it on purpose? That is just so wrong and painful on many levels. Nice truck! I have seen maybe 2 regular cab pick-ups but never a crew cab. My first car was a '65 Beatle, and I loved it, wish I still had one. About as easy to work on as a lawn tractor, simple reliable machines.
Yep, wonderful woman....welll...not! But she does have her own issues.:hide: I had to get my wife to get the rental cars keys from the witch because I did not trust myself. Dear Mom's reply??"I meant to hit it but I didn't think I'd hit it that hard!"
I had just spent an entire weekend getting the "nose skin" perfect.

The back re-inforced bumber comes off in ten mins. The engine out in 20 more. Then a simple tune up or what ever.

·
Registered
972 Posts
That is such a cool vehicle. I have seen them here and there in person and in magazines. If you're looking for more/another I know where one was in AZ when I lived there and also I believe I've seen one locally here in MI as well. I think they are real ones too but haven't stopped to look at either one I saw, just noticed (and appreciated) them in passing. I'd have to rack my brain a bit to remember their location.

Beautiful vehicle resto, you're an artist. And the fact that it is a rare and very unique (puts the fun in functional!) vehicle makes it even better. Thanks so much for sharing!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the comments, it is a fun rig. My wife deserves a lot of credit, she is an expert at hand bondo, the finer apps. that is, good eye.:thanku:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Nice restore! Love those old VW's. HAd several campers from 69 to 82 vintage numerous bugs and even a pair of squarebacks once. My Dad has an Aircooled shop in Lexington so they were abundant. Now they work on anything but still have a good rep for the VW's.

·
Lawn-Boys and VW's
1,839 Posts
WOW , that is too great. Looking good! !!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts