My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a John Deere 870 Tractor with a 72" mower deck attached to the bottom PTO. Someone (names have been omitted to protect the guilty but it obviously wasn't me and NO they won't be using my tractor ever again) stalled out while the PTO was engaged. They were riding along and just took their foot off the gas and applied the break as I watched in horror about 20 feet away yelling "PUSH THE CLUTCH!"

At this point I commandeered the tractor, pushed the clutch in and disengaged the PTO and put it in neutral. I next tried to start it up again but it appears to be broken. It does nothing. The battery light on the dash doesn't light up at all, I tested the battery with a volt meter and it's good. (22/50)

Please respond with any helpful suggestions as to how to begin my troubleshooting.

I will never share my tractor again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I removed and inspected each fuse from the fuse box inside the engine compartment. They all appear to be intact.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Like Green Toy said check fuses.....The other week I was mowing with my 2305 tractor just quit running ..
I did have a blown fuse ,controlled fuel solenoid and dash lights. Still would not start, would not even turn engine over. Checked battery Battery OK ..make sure seat safety switch and switch for high low is working OK.
After replacing fuse engine would turn over but would not fire...
found diode (under dash panel) would not pull the fuel solenoid plunger back to allow fuel to get to the injectors.
Take volt meter to check your diodes....If like the 2305 there are 4 of them.
They run appx 8.00 ea.
Good luck

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
make sure that the pto is completely disengaged and that the clutch switch isn't out of adjustment

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Green Toy, etcallhome, and amf1414 for your recommendations!

As it turns out I checked the battery again to make sure it was good, and it was. Then I checked further down the electrical system and found that there was no voltage. I then removed the battery terminal connectors and cleaned them out with a wire brush and re-attached them to the battery.

Wouldn't you know the tractor started up like a champ? Awesome.

I know, it's a novice issue but I have to start somewhere! Thank you so much for your responses! I will be sure to look them over again if I have a similar problem!

Blueberry
John Deere 870 Utility Tractor

·
9K+ Poster
12,164 Posts
Easy fixes are the best! :thThumbsU

·
Registered
973 Posts
Good news I had cleaned terminals and battery before doing everything else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts