My Tractor Forum banner

My Tow Behind Trailer Resto....

2156 Views 27 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  1967Craftsman's
I created a posting/thread called "Picked This Up Today" awhile back about a tow behind trailer I bought locally for $20.00 I plan to show with my Craftsman.

I just wanted to give a little update on it for everyone.....

I brought the trailer to the car wash the other night on March 10th and power/pressure washed it, otherwise this is all I have done to it for now. More to come in this post/thread. I took these pictures below the next day on March 11th.

I do not know what make or model it is, there is a sticker but that is just a "caution" sticker. It looks how I should of expected it, MAYBE a bit worse upon further inspection but it's nothing that can't be fixed with a bit a elbow grease.

I was originally thinking of doing a throw-back and creating a Sears trailer with painting it all white and putting Sears stickers on it, but now I am thinking of painting it gloss black with white rims and putting modern Craftsman logos on it. It just looks too new to looks old, if that makes sense. Please give me your input to tell me what y'all think....

Well this is all for now, stay tuned.....
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Wood
Tire Purple Wood Yellow Bumper
Tire Wheel Wheelbarrow Automotive tire Tread
Brown Handwriting Rectangle Font Tints and shades
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread Wood Mode of transport
Rectangle Plant Grass Groundcover Road surface
Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Synthetic rubber
Rectangle Wood Stairs Chair Floor
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Wheelbarrow
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
A little update on the trailer:

Today I hammered down/out some of the dents that were sticking up/out of the trailer. I am still not sure what color I will paint it but I am leaning towards yellow with white rims to match the tractor BUT I do most likely plan on dustless blasting it then prime it then paint it.

I do have more pictures I will post later on.....
Wood Rectangle Table Flooring Bumper
Wood Rectangle Road surface Floor Table
Wood Bumper Material property Gas Tints and shades
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Paint Bumper
Update since my last post-

I contacted the dustless sandblasting fellow and he gave me a price of $150 but that is with a discount thanks to mentioning a friends name, but not sure if I wanna do it. I am still on the fence, anybody have any opinions on whether I should or should not do it?

On a seperate note, I made up my mind on what color I would like it to be. I want it to be a maroon red with white rims and put a vintage looking Sears sticker on the bottom front. Just like some of the old ones were besides the white ones.

I will keep everyone updated, stay tuned......
On another seperate note that I forgot to mention, I believe I found the EXACT same trailer or pretty close to it as mine currently for sale on Facebook Marketplace......

Wood Rectangle Wheel Gas Composite material
Green Automotive lighting Red Rectangle Material property
No way would I pay someone to blast a little trailer like that. It's not hard to sand one down. Just takes time and labor. I did one exactly like yours except mine was in worse shape.

My build thread: Turned my ratty red dump trailer into a yellow Cub Hauler
A little update on my trailer project since last time I posted.....

I sanded the trailer down with a dual action (or DA) sander/polisher using 80 grit paper that sticks onto the DA from Home Depot, this here but a 15 pack......

DIABLO 6 in. 80-Grit Random Orbital Sanding Disc with StickFast Backing (5-Pack)-DCD060080P05G - The Home Depot

Then I primered most of the trailer with this......

The top where you will see is done, but the bottom still has to get done. (Pictures to hopefully come soon).

All of this was done about 1-2 weeks ago.
More of an update on the trailer restoration......

I ordered these genuine Carlisle tires for the trailer about a week ago and they came yesterday. I got them for about $39.00 plus the shipping, they went up in price since I ordered them.....

Now to finish primering and painting the trailer then get the old wheels off the rims, sandblast then paint the rims and mount the new tires on.
I finally decided that I want to do a "throwback" to the old sears carts/wagons/trailers from back in the day with my trailer, that said I also ordered this for it and it came yesterday. It is a little smaller than I originally thought but there again I just looked at the design really liked it and ordered it, I didn't look at the size. Ooops oh well, but it'll work though......

Now to test fit where I want it with some scotch tape and see what it looks like. (Pictures to hopefully come soon).

This all the updates I got for now, more to come hopefully soon stay tuned......
Hi all,

I'm back with a long over due 3-5 month update on this trailer project. At this point in time the trailer is all painted and ready for polishing, the rims still need to be sandblasted and painted which will happen in the spring, the new tires need to go on, and the hideous looking hitch needs to be switched out and replaced. Otherwise it is done.

In these pictures below I borrowed my stepdads dual action (or D.A.) sander/polisher to sand strip the trailer down to bare metal the best I could, and 80 grit on the D.A taking the paint off. Here are pictures of when I first started restoring it......

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Wood Tread
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle
Reactions: Steve Urquell
Now onto primer, I primered the whole trailer with 3-4 cans of rustoleum filler primer.....
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Grass Tread
Plant Grass Gas Groundcover Lawn
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Wood Grass

Grass Rectangle Gas Composite material Asphalt

Plant Rectangle Asphalt Road surface Flooring

All done with primer......
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Wood Rectangle
Wheel Tire Wood Floor Rectangle
Now onto test fitting the Sears decal, keep in mind the decal is a bit crooked but it is where I want it.....
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Cart

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rolling
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

This is all for now, stay tuned for more soon......
You're doing great! If you want to straighten that top rail you can cut 2 pieces of wood. One goes under the rail and is thick enough to hang below the steel lip. The other goes on top to sandwich and protect the rail while you clamp the boards and gently bend upward with a couple pair of vise grips, a c-clamp, or a pipe wrench.
Now onto test fitting the Sears decal, keep in mind the decal is a bit crooked but it is where I want it.....
View attachment 2536055
View attachment 2536056 View attachment 2536057

This is all for now, stay tuned for more soon......
Reactions: 1967Craftsman's
If you want to do the rims quickly and easily you can buy a $6 cup brush for a 4.5" electric grinder and it will take that rust and paint off really easily.

I bought one at Atwoods in the welding section recently and took my rusty seatback to bare steel quickly

Yellow Automotive wheel system Gas Auto part Office supplies
Thanks Randy, it is not the best but I think it came out pretty good. As far as the top rail goes, thank you for the tip but I think I will just leave it alone for now.
You're doing great! If you want to straighten that top rail you can cut 2 pieces of wood. One goes under the rail and is thick enough to hang below the steel lip. The other goes on top to sandwich and protect the rail while you clamp the boards and gently bend upward with a couple pair of vise grips, a c-clamp, or a pipe wrench.
Hi everybody,

It is now paint time for the trailer project, these pictures as you can see are after one coat after I ran out and needed to buy more paint.....
Wheel Tire Wheelbarrow Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive tire Wood Vehicle door
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Wheelbarrow
Here are pictures after I got more paint, after about 2 or 3 coats.....
Grass Wheelbarrow Cart Outdoor furniture Wheel
Plant Motor vehicle Fender Automotive exterior Vehicle door
Plant Motor vehicle Grass Fender Vehicle door
Plant Tire Wheel Grass Wood
Table Rectangle Wood Grass Gas
Grass Groundcover Plastic Soil Wood
Now onto re-testing/fitting the Sears decal for a 2nd time after paint.....
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Wood Red
Wheel Tire Wood Automotive exterior Bumper
Wood Road surface Asphalt Tree Gas
Tape measure Wood Font Rectangle Office ruler
I also went and bought some straw bales this past fall at my local Michael's craft store to put in the trailer when I display it behind the tractor, As you can see in my last picture I got 3 big bales and 4 small bales. The price on the straw itself is what it would normally go for, when I got it the price was reduced because it was the end of fall. I still must of spent close to $75.00 on all of it though, but I don't care because it will make it look a lot nicer when displayed.....
Sculpture Automotive tire Art Wood Statue

Plant Automotive tire Automotive design Flooring Art

Ingredient Wood Staple food Recipe Cuisine

Hood Automotive tire Tire Automotive exterior Wheel

Car Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle door Automotive design
Now since I got my new straw bales, I went and test fitted them in the trailer. They all fit really good like they were made to go there. I also got 2 American flags to display with the trailer too so I mocked those up with the straw, but I don't like how they look so I am going to figure out another way to display them with the straw and trailer.....
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood
Table Coffee table Event Couch Flag of the united states
Reactions: MARK (LI)
Hey Eric...I don't know if you did it to tease us...but that picture has some really cool looking vintage car...more pictures of it ...please?...what is it?
  • Haha
Reactions: 1967Craftsman's
1 - 20 of 28 Posts