My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Sr 928 28'' hi-vac. It worked great until one day it came to a complete stop and the clutch pedal hit the floor. I put the rider on its tail end and noticed a spring hanging. It attaches to a moving part connected to the clutch cable. I bought a new one and after about 20 minutes of mowing it snapped again in the same exact spot. It sheered of where it attaches under the engine. Both times it happened i was just mowing no shifting/braking was done when it snapped. What could be causing this? Springs are only $3. I suspect if i get another new one it is going to snap again. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,263 Posts
Well you need to post a picture or a better description as the spring that comes to mine from your description has nothing to do with the mower moving, has to do with it stopping.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
596 Posts
Parts Tree's exploded views are useful, just not as much as a real-world pic of what's actually going on.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
If you can give us the series number, I will try to download the parts illustration showing the exact layout of your mower,somewhere under the seat or on the main tube,should be a tag ,the series will be like 280915BVE the 15 being the series. Since you just bought the mower, this might be a recurring problem,the spring could have been installed wrong,might be the wrong spring ,or there could be a sharp edge cutting into the spring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys I will get the model # or hopefully a picture when i get home Saturday. I don't think that the previous owner had this problem. The spring was coated in grease and grass/dirt in the same pattern as the rest of the under carriage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently bought a Sr 928 28'' hi-vac. It worked great until one day it came to a complete stop and the clutch pedal hit the floor. I put the rider on its tail end and noticed a spring hanging. It attaches to a moving part connected to the clutch cable. I bought a new one and after about 20 minutes of mowing it snapped again in the same exact spot. It sheered of where it attaches under the engine. Both times it happened i was just mowing no shifting/braking was done when it snapped. What could be causing this? Springs are only $3. I suspect if i get another new one it is going to snap again. Any help is greatly appreciated.
New here, so apologies if I missed the answer to this riddle, but I just had the same experience on my RER SR120 281011BE (no longer E- scrapped the electric start). Stretched the (new) broken spring end into a hook shape, remounted it and 5 minutes later, yet again! One more time, then I got smart because the problem seemed to be exacerbated by using the pedal (obviously perhaps?). So I crossed my fingers and finished the lawn without stopping or shifting. For now.

Anyone have ideas? Is this a common issue? Is there maybe supposed to be a plastic grommet lining the small hole that the spring end fits into (no mention in schematic that I have)? Seems like there must be more to it than that.

Also need to replace my drive disc (on its way) - quite chewed up and causing considerable vibration - might the vibration and a sharp edge where the spring hooks in be gnawing away at the spring?

Thanks so much in advance for your help - this is a terrific place for tips from a great community of experience!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts

I had to go al lthe way to the "series 16 &18 parts list" to find anything,that shows both ends of the clutch spring.The "yoke arm(#22) and the spring(7012264) appear to be identical,with the series 11,as well as all the series in-between.My series 21,is different,as the spring,attaches,thru the rear of the main case,and the service manual,shows the earlier series,which are much different.You might look to see if the little tab,on the top end of the spring,has been replaced with something else,or if something is rubbing the spring.The springs don't seem to be a big problem

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply, dc 3mech. This is exactly the setup on my series 11, and the tab on the top end of the spring seems to be original. I'm going to try to smooth the hole in that tab if I can, as the edge must be rather sharp, see if that helps. I'll also check to see that the yoke is rotating freely enough and not getting hung up, thereby putting added stress on the spring.
Funny that at least someone else had the same problem- can't imagine what else it might be. Thanks again and I'll let you know how I fair tomorrow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I know I bought a Model 7800918 a month ago. Last Monday the Spring, clutch/brake broke. I was done cutting the grass and putting the mower up. I did not know what happen and I seen the spring hanging. So Tuesday I went to the dealer and pick up a new spring. The part is in a Briggs & Stratton package. Put in on today.

It seams to me they would make a stronger spring. Oh the part number on the package was 7013885YP I guess .

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
If you're breaking that spring, check the condition of the driven disc. If parts of it are missing, it will vibrate the spring to death.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Mike: Your Snapper is one of the "new" RERs. We had a discussion on these, a while ago. This proves what I said then,the "new mowers,have the same parts,in the "drive" section,as many of the older RERs. We haven't had any complaints(on this forum,anyway). That spring (7013885 YP),is the same as my series 21,(1999).and a lot of older RERs. Since it's only a month old,I would hope that the dealer would repair it on warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The dealer gave me the spring and said he was suppose to put it on. I did not want to load it in the back of the truck for a spring. It took me a few minutes to put in on.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Install the spring in another hole. Assuming yours has the 4 holes in the yoke arm. Sounds like the yoke arm is shearing the spring end off possibly??

slomo

1 - 15 of 15 Posts