My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Surgery was 3 1/2 months ago ( JAN 17th ) , As of May 1st I can shower 100% by myself. My wife was washing my back until now, I was propping my left arm up on wall to put deo on, now I can raise my own arm, I know it don't sound like much, however, it's a small victory for me. the strength training has started, this is my second week of strengthening PT. I can now raise 3 pounds over my head. sounds sad, however, it's a small victory. My left arm is doing more steering as I drive down the road.

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
Surgery was 3 1/2 months ago ( JAN 17th ) , As of May 1st I can shower 100% by myself. My wife was washing my back until now, I was propping my left arm up on wall to put deo on, now I can raise my own arm, I know it don't sound like much, however, it's a small victory for me. the strength training has started, this is my second week of strengthening PT. I can now raise 3 pounds over my head. sounds sad, however, it's a small victory. My left arm is doing more steering as I drive down the road.
Congrats man. I don't think anyone who hasn't had this done can appreciate just being able to use an arm. Small victories.

·
Premium Member
6,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
5 months and 4 days after surgery, it took me two weeks of lifting 6 pounds over my head to achieve 7 pounds. it only took me 10 day to lift 8 pounds overhead. dr said I can do some very minor work around the house. My son still does the grocery shopping with me, however, I tried to push the full shopping cart, I wasn't able to guide the cart. I'm still in PT thru July3. OH my, doing my stretching and lifting at home for 45 minutes twice a day is soooo boring,

·
Premium Member
6,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Today was my first day back to work, went pretty good, I didn't go overboard, I took an 8-pound weight with me to use on break time & after lunch.

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
Congrats, long road to recovery but worth it.

CCMoe

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
Today was my first day back to work, went pretty good, I didn't go overboard, I took an 8-pound weight with me to use on break time & after lunch.
Good to hear it. Always stressful wondering if you can get thru the day. Hope it keeps going well.

·
Premium Member
6,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Glad I returned to work & only had to work three days, Came home pretty tired every day. I took a snooze on the couch every night before bed. All the pain I was in after surgery I wondered if I'd ever get back. I'm now in less pain than before surgery, & I see improvements every day.

·
Premium Member
6,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm now also released by PT, however he told me it critical for me to keep stretching for the next two months. And that I can go down to strengthening work out every other day.

·
Premium Member
6,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
After 2 1/2 weeks of work, my co-workers keep wanting to step in & do my heavy work, I tell them I'm ok, just a hair bit slow but I'll get it done. I almost don't have room to work because of how close one co-worker will get close to me, my wife likes it. we have a decent wheel dolly to slide 200-pound tires into place & I scare everyone while doing it.:tango_face_grin:

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
Make sure you have a full release for unrestricted activity before going crazy. I clarified directly from my surgeon and he told me to NOT ever do anything with force with my arm above 90deg and to the side.

Safe activity with force will keep the tendon sheaths clear of adhesions. Ive broken adhesions loose dragging brush and practicing wheelchair push up while in physical therapy school.

·
Premium Member
6,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
yep, I started to install some brake springs, however, I stopped & asked a co-worker to install them because I know they can slip & cause a sudden jerk on my shoulder. & sure enough, it took him a couple of tries.

·
Premium Member
6,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Well, it's been one year since surgery & I just had my one-year check-up. all is going well. I can see why pro athletes need a phycologist when they are sidelined because not being able to do your job or much else really messes with your head. when my PT guru gave me a 2 pound weight & it's all I could do to get it over my head I didn't feel too manly at that point. and also during PT I asked how am I progressing & the answer was, "well your less than average" the truth can hurt, however my wife said he might have been showing some tough love to try to get me to push just a little harder. & during all this one member here stopped by my place to help my son change blades on my X595 & another member took me out for lunch. I'm still doing my exercises here at home just like a good patient should, it's time to buy a 30-pound weight. if anyone else here ever needs work out weights don't buy new, Facebook & craigslist have tons of listings & good prices on weights. I'm still not at 100% however, it's better everyday & I'm glad I had it done, like I had a choice, my shoulder was coming apart.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Congrats on your progress!

Had my other knee replaced a month ago, doing well, but the not being able to do much gets old fast!

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
My shoulder still has limited ROM after 11 years but it doesnt limit me. They take a long time to heal. Glad things are coming along for you.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts