My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I going try to write down my experience, that I'm going thru. I be adding more as I go. There are a ton of youtube videos about before during and after surgery.

before surgery, item you will want to buy. Three button henley T-shirts, I have four in rotation. the buttons help you & the person assisting you to get shirts on & off easier. Buy shampoo and shower soap in pump bottles, Because there is no way you can get shampoo by yourself unless your helper gets it for you. get a back scratcher. cheap bandaids to cover over stitches, otherwise, stitches catch on shirt & pull. Saran wrap & Waterproof tape. you will need the tape to hold the saran wrap in place during shower because you can't get any soap & water on incisions for a few days.

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You may also want a lint roller because arm sling seems like a magnet for lint, hair, fur, & when you go out in public it looks kind of gross to other people.

Sleeping is no fun! I tried sleeping in bed with a TV pillow & two other pillows, it just don't work, I would slide down the pillows. Sleeping in a recliner in the way to go, I can only sleep 6 hours, the pain in shoulder blade will wake me up.

My first shower took 40 minutes & that's with help, after 6 weeks we're down to 20 minutes. I still can not wash my back or my good arm.

The only way to describe pain w/o sling, is.....I wanted my sling more than my next breath. while wife would be dressing me after shower I would rest my arm on chest of drawers until sling was back on.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Went through that a few years ago, getting ready for knee replacement this week!

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Sorry duder. I've had both of mine cut on. Changed careers b/c of it. I used to be a HD truck/trailer mechanic. now I'm a PTA(Physical Therapist assistant)

Nothing quite like that first week of pain. I slept on the couch as I could rest my arm on the puffy backrest and had to get up every hour and walk around. First shower shaking like a leaf--I sat in the tub and the wife scrubbed me down.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Are you taking pain meds? Did you Steve?
Ate em like Pac-man for the first 10 days then tapered down as it got better. I took 1 pill before PT as they were aggressively stretching me out. Mine was extremely painful and I have a very high tolerance--spent 20yrs wrenching with the usual burns/stitches/squashed fingers/steel drilled out of the eyeballs etc. which never slowed me down

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was on pain meds for 8 days,
For first two weeks after surgery my only job is to heal, then PT started, three times a week plus given exercise instructions for home. All my PT is them moving me, I lay there for 15 minutes while I relax, easy to say "just relax" I had to close my eyes & let them do there job. next 15 minutes was other stretches then 20 minutes of ice.

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Something else a person will want to do before surgery, is, how do i put it,,, grooming, cut your nails, get hair cut.

·
Premium Member
983 Posts
Tractor Beam,

I impinged my shoulder (rotator cuff) snowmobiling in 2014, hit a frozen clump at the edge of a field. The 13 inch shocks on the rear recoiled me off the sled at 40+ mph. I landed in a plowed frozen field on my elbow, which jammed my shoulder. Thank god the sled stayed upright and running, I rode it home.

Luckily, I didn't have surgery.

I slept in a recliner for six weeks.

The one physical therapy task I hated was rolling a ball up a wall, starting at shoulder height, I could take everything else but when they brought that ball out, I physically started to sweat.

While doing therapy, a couple friends came through that had surgery, they said don't do it unless you have to.

My son slipped on ice at work and broke a rib 10 days ago, being his boss and dad, off to the hospital we went. He goes back to the doctor on the 11th.

Take care TB.

Steve, that trailer rebuild job must have been one tough #$%^&*.

CCMoe

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Tractor Beam,

I impinged my shoulder (rotator cuff) snowmobiling in 2014, hit a frozen clump at the edge of a field. The 13 inch shocks on the rear recoiled me off the sled at 40+ mph. I landed in a plowed frozen field on my elbow, which jammed my shoulder. Thank god the sled stayed upright and running, I rode it home.

Luckily, I didn't have surgery.

I slept in a recliner for six weeks.

The one physical therapy task I hated was rolling a ball up a wall, starting at shoulder height, I could take everything else but when they brought that ball out, I physically started to sweat.

While doing therapy, a couple friends came through that had surgery, they said don't do it unless you have to.

My son slipped on ice at work and broke a rib 10 days ago, being his boss and dad, off to the hospital we went. He goes back to the doctor on the 11th.

Take care TB.

Steve, that trailer rebuild job must have been one tough #$%^&*.

CCMoe
All shoulder surgeries end up different. Mine locked down and I spent months in PT having my 230lb PT holding my wrist over my head and leaning his weight on it with me on my back on the plinth.

He told me years later that he couldn't believe how tight my shldr was and that I could take what he put me thru.

Semi-trailer wreck rebuild is tough. I have bone spurs in all my upper body joints, one protrudes on my elbow as big as a marble. Fingers ache. Both shldrs had surgery, hernia repair surgery, and a herniated disk in my low back that I rehabbed w/o surgery.

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had six week check up 4 days ago, Dr. is happy with the progress, I can remove sling, however, the first two days w/o sling I had to put sling back on for an hour or so because the weight of my arm was making me hurt. now it's time for strength training, so, new script wrote to PT folks how to proceed with me. OMGoodness!! I had no idea how much muscle I had lost. when sitting at dining table it's all I can do to raise arm high enough to rest arm on the table. my strength training at this time will NOT include any weights. Dr. said the weight of my arm which is about 20 lbs. is plenty for now. so now PT is stretching first half & strengthening 2nd 1/2.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
Had six week check up 4 days ago, Dr. is happy with the progress, I can remove sling, however, the first two days w/o sling I had to put sling back on for an hour or so because the weight of my arm was making me hurt. now it's time for strength training, so, new script wrote to PT folks how to proceed with me. OMGoodness!! I had no idea how much muscle I had lost. when sitting at dining table it's all I can do to raise arm high enough to rest arm on the table. my strength training at this time will NOT include any weights. Dr. said the weight of my arm which is about 20 lbs. is plenty for now. so now PT is stretching first half & strengthening 2nd 1/2.
Glad to hear you are progressing. We don't strengthen in a limited range so weights are not necessary until you can lift the arm overhead.

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My bad, I thought I was to start some strength training two weeks ago, This week, PT guy had me to start lifting my arm w/o assistance, I raised my arm almost up to shoulder height 20 times & held arm there for 2 seconds, my arm was tired. Surgery was 9 weeks ago & I've now back in bed, hopefully, recliner days are behind me. I have a 4" thick pillow to place between arm and chest. I can only lay on my back. I also tied my own boots this week (small victory. yeah me!) I rest arm on steering wheel when driving, however I'll rest arm on lap when turning steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
My bad, I thought I was to start some strength training two weeks ago, This week, PT guy had me to start lifting my arm w/o assistance, I raised my arm almost up to shoulder height 20 times & held arm there for 2 seconds, my arm was tired. Surgery was 9 weeks ago & I've now back in bed, hopefully, recliner days are behind me. I have a 4" thick pillow to place between arm and chest. I can only lay on my back. I also tied my own boots this week (small victory. yeah me!) I rest arm on steering wheel when driving, however I'll rest arm on lap when turning steering wheel.
Shoulders take time my friend. I don't think I felt right for a year and I still have limited external rotation on my left one.
Keep up the good work with PT. They are the ones to get you thru this now.

·
Super Moderator
27,404 Posts
My wife had orthoscopic surgery on her left shoulder after being diagnosed with "Frozen Shoulder". Which until then I'd never heard of. It took her about 3 - 4 months to get back to a semblance of normal with that shoulder after the operation. It takes a long time to get strength back in your should afterwards. Take you time and do it right Burned, this isn't something you can push too far to quick.

·
Super Moderator
15,194 Posts
I've had open incision surgery on both shoulders. Got full range of motion but never regained full strength. Doc said it was best I could hope for at my age and the amount of damage I had. I had an MRI last week on my right shoulder again as it has been bothering me. The doc says I have a tear in one of the muscles. Hard to tell if it's a new tear or one that never healed completely. He said he didn't think surgery would help me so I start PT next Monday to strengthen the rest of the muscles to overcome the weak one.
It is a long healing process. I will eventually need replacement on my right shoulder. The ball is riding high in the socket and he said that will that will cause wear and need to be replaced.

·
Administrator
16,890 Posts
My wife had orthoscopic surgery on her left shoulder after being diagnosed with "Frozen Shoulder". Which until then I'd never heard of. It took her about 3 - 4 months to get back to a semblance of normal with that shoulder after the operation. It takes a long time to get strength back in your should afterwards. Take you time and do it right Burned, this isn't something you can push too far to quick.
Don't know if there is another name for it but I also was diagnosed with frozen shoulder while in my 30's. Sent to PT to have them work it out. Guy has me lay down with arm straight at side. He the proceeds to move it up in normal range. When it hits the stuck spot he applies pressure and releases. When you get to pressure spot it hurts like heck. So this goes on for several weeks, three times a week. During fourth week he tells me perhaps I should seek another therapist. Now this is a guy that's only been doing this for just about two yrs. Tells me he can't do anything cause when we start to get to the "spot" I start to resist. I have to just let him push.
Well game on! I tell him that perhaps he hasn't been doing this long enough to make an educated decision. He comes back with I'm a certified physical therapist. I say that my reaction is normal because normal people resist when you know what's coming.
He responds about my poor attitude and shoulder will probably never get better. Me- well perhaps you should just do what is needed. Him- well maybe you should grow a set. Me-Fine after today I'm out of here. He starts to lift arm and I'm screaming in his face about my little sister could push harder than that (I've got no sister) He pushes harder, I holler "That's all you got you wussy!" I keep hollering at him and he loses it, shoves my shoulder straight above my head and I hear a gigantic rip, like pulling apart a large piece of Velcro.
This elicits a screech from me, and a smirk from him. Then, as I swing my arm around in a windmill fashion (and no pain) I tell him that if he done this in the beginning instead of milking me for insurance payments he could of taken care of me in the first or second visit. And then mention I wouldn't report him for losing his temper and over stepping established PT regimens.
But arm is fine, no re-occurrence.
But hey, surgery would probably have been a lot easier and quicker. But no where near as much fun.:tango_face_devil:
MikeC

1 - 20 of 36 Posts