My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been around much- I don't have Internet out at my property where I'm building. I've been living there in a pop-up camper for the last 3 months while I build. First up was a quick 'n dirty shed to have a secure place for tools. Loading and unloading the van every day got old quick. The shed is 8' X 12', and I slapped it together in a week. I don't have a finished picture; it has a door, trim, and vinyl soffits. Next up was the barn. It is 28' X 48'. It is over 12' clear ceiling height downstairs, with a big loft upstairs. It doesn't look that big in the picture, but those sliding doors are 6' X 12' each, and the roof is 27' to the peak. The full-sized man door on the side gives some idea of scale. The barn has a full bath, and will be 'home' while I build the house, which will be much smaller than the barn (gotta keep your priorities straight!).

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fiber reinforced concrete- a full 6" thick on a footing. I made the first floor over 12' to have room for an automotive lift; they are usually 12' tall. The heavy-duty floor is also for that purpose.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,856 Posts
That barn is stunning! Very impressive.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
Love the barn!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The barn is sided with T1-11 plywood, which will be painted traditional 'barn red'. The trim will be white. Eventually, I'll put a loft door in, mainly for looks, although it might be handy if i ever had to get something bulky up there.

2/3's of the barn has a loft. The remaining third will be walled off, and eventually insulated and paneled with tongue and groove pine to make a rustic great room for bigger gatherings. The house will be very small, so it will be nice to have a big room on the property. The great room will be 16' X 28', with a 20' ceiling. A wood burning stove will provide heat for now. With the full bathroom, the great room will also serve as a guest house for over night visitors. I bought cheap small appliances to use while I build, so I can create a kitchenette of sorts out there, too. I could happily live in there, but DW wants an actual house (go figure).

I'm not going to do much for my temporary quarters, although I might have to build a super insulated sleeping room to make it through the winter. I'm running off of a temporary power pole, so I can only run a 1500 watt space heater. Right now, I have moved the pop-up camper inside the barn, and I'm using that, but it's hard to keep warm.

The roof is a hybrid- trusses for the upper slope; conventional rafters for the lower slope. I started with plans from barnplans.com, but we wound up changing it quite a bit. I highly recommend their site for barn ideas, and they have plans for barns ranging from sheds up to 36' wide.

·
Registered
595 Posts
beautiful barn, i am envious!! good luck to you and your endeavors. I want to add to the votes for more photos!

tmm

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,552 Posts
Beauitiful barn! I like the shed too!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's some pictures as it was being built. The structure is 2X6 studs on 16" centers, all on a monolithic slab. The 1st picture is right after the walls were stood up. The front section is lower where the loft goes to make room for the floor joists. Once the loft deck was finished, it was all the same height. The next pic is inside, under the loft area. The loft is supported by 6X6 posts, and the joists are 2X10's on 12" centers. It's a very strong floor. You can see the framing for the man door on the right, before the sheathing was cut out. The 3rd pic is of the great room area, which rises to over 20' tall.
4th is a shot of the trusses in place for the upper roof slope. Finally, there is a pic of the loft, looking towards the great room. The loft is 20 X 32, with over 8' headroom. The angled area under the lower roof is big enough to walk through, and would make a LOT of storage closets.

·
16,617 Posts
nice--very, very nice!

Lottsa work right there, my man......:thThumbsU

glenn

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Beautiful setting , and the buildings aren't bad either.:biglaugh:Nice looking barn , I like the T-111 " look" . Sheets up quick too.:fing32::congrats:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts