My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Scags rule
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pictures of our water garden pond. We put it in about 4 years ago...it actually 2 ponds with a short stream wrapping around the corner of our deck...the lower pond has a pump that pumps up to the small waterfall in the upper pond...

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Looks great, Rob. :fing02:

Must have been a lotta work!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Dem sure be sum funny colored trouts you got there. That water garden sure does look great. A water garden with some fish sure makes for some great relaxation. I can set for hours and watch my fish.........and plants grow.

I an totally envious of your rocks though........and I bet yuou probably got em free for the hauling, being your in Pennsylvania.......I would have to get a second mortgage to have that amount of rocks here in Alabama.........Last year rocks were going for 30 to 40 cents a pound.........now there close to a buck a pound, since fuel costs are so high, and most have to be trucked down from up north. They have a lot they bring in from tennesee, but they suck for a pond as they seem to have a lot of iron in them and they get rusty looking and turn the water redish brown......

Rocks, who'd a thunk selling rocks would be a business. They have large single rocks on pallets, that costs hundred and hundreds of dollars, and folks buy em. If you ever decide to add a "sand" beach to your water feature, I'll make you a deal, I'll meet you half way with a load of nice sugar white sand and you bring me aload of good old Pennsylvania fieldstones!

·
Super Moderator
32,053 Posts
That is REALY nice. Now what do you do with the fish in the winter? I have been thinking of maybe doing the pond thing, and my wife would love some fish in it, but living in the northeast, we get some harsh winters. Do you bring them inside?

·
Scags rule
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks for the comments on the pond. It's still somewhat of a work in progress. My wife reallys enjoys working on it. She is always rearranging the rocks and plants etc. I used my Yanmar for some of the construction, but most of the digging was done with a good old fashioned shovel.

Free rocks are getting harder and harder to find here in PA. I actually had to buy most of these. But I have recently found a good source of them up state. I just have to find the time to go and haul them home.

The fish stay in the pond year round. The upper pond is 3 ft deep in the middle and the lower pond is 2.5 ft deep. I keep a 250 watt pond heater in each pond to keep a hole open for gas exchange. I lost one fish this winter in the upper pond but I think that may be the one that my ducks got a hold of last fall. I found it up on the mulch with chew marks on it from the ducks and I tossed it back it. It swam sideways for a few days and I thought it might make it but I guess not.

Here are some pond constuction photos. These were taken before we changed the siding on the house and adding on to the deck.

Piling up the dirt where the pond will be:

Hand digging.

The liner:

These were the 'free' rocks that I had. I used them to build the waterfall on the uppoer pond.

Here is a before:

Here is an after: New siding, deck roof and my garage painted to match the house:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Ingersoll444 said:
That is REALY nice. Now what do you do with the fish in the winter? I have been thinking of maybe doing the pond thing, and my wife would love some fish in it, but living in the northeast, we get some harsh winters. Do you bring them inside?

Paul, it depends on your pond as to weather you leave em out or bring em in. If you have a deep enough pond so it will not freeze solid to the bottom and a means to keep an air / gas exchange hole open during freezing weather you can let em outside just fine. Its important to keep a hole open though so the co2 etc can escape........pounding ahole in the ice is not the way to do it as belive it or not, the fish can get injured with concusion from breaking thick ice...........Some folks build a quick and dirty PVC pipe frame and cover it with platic and hang a light inside, others use stock tank heaters, and others use an air pump.........Depth is also important for protection from predators.

·
Registered
349 Posts
From a guy that has put a few of these in. Very nice job. :fing02: Looks like put mulch in is a little bit of a pain every year.

·
Scags rule
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mulch

itsgottobegreen said:
From a guy that has put a few of these in. Very nice job. :fing02: Looks like put mulch in is a little bit of a pain every year.
Thanks for the compliments on the pond. We have put in landscape beds silly around the house, in front of the pool, island beds etc.. Last year it took 54 yards of mulch. Most of the beds are pretty well established now and it should not take near as much for them this year. I may be able to get away with only 25 yds!

Spreading mulch is where my Yanmar with FEL really shines! It would take me all summer to do it with a wheel barrow! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts