My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 119 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Hey that is pretty neat 314.:fing32: I guess he just steers using the dual/split brakes?

·
Josh
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yeah hammerd,

Actually, it was driven by three in a little weird configuration. The sprocket in the middle had "teeth" on both sides of it while the two sprockes on the outter edges of the track only had teeth on one side of them. It took me a while to figure out the best way to drive this track and even now I'm not sure its fool-proof. But, playing to find out how to make it work is part of the real fun

·
Josh
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Not this weekend. Still haven't gotten a new motor on the band saw. I kinda got distracted by a few other projects that I needed to get done around the house. I made a few accessories for my bigger cub that took a little bit of time behind the welder. Actually, I ran TWO 10lbs spools of welding wire out this week! Had to refill my 75/25 tank too. I'll get back to work on thie project soon. I wanted it to be my winter project anyways so I have been trying to not get too far ahead just yet.

·
Josh
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)

The hubs and brakes from a polaris 4 wheeler

Just getting a feel for her!

A snow mobile frame that is donating parts to the project

Starting to build the undercarriage.

Springs for the undercarriage

One of my helpers, Tigger

More undercarriage parts

Rims to be used for front guide wheels.... donated by another four wheeler ($10 a piece!)

Who says you can't dismount a tire using a plasma cutter?

Front guide wheels made from old 4 wheeler rims and some flat stock

Rear guide wheels before painting

Tigger and Mouse – they are brother and sister

A little suspension for the front

The exhaust I made for the stacks last year.... Looking back now, I could have made this better but I did like the square stock because it makes the mower have a really neat sound... much different than just round exhaust pipe. Last year, this tractor had to sit out in the rain and snow a lot more than I wanted.

Dressing up the dash a little bit

·
Josh
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
More pics to come soon. I got more work done today but I just need to take more pics. I have yet to build the boogies and tie the steering wheel into the front brakes that will control the individual braking of the tracks. I should remember to take an actual camera out to the garage next time instead of just using my phone.

I have done a lot of mock up and tear down to do finish welds, grind off edges and weld berries. I have a lot of time in this project now, but is sure is nice seeing it come together. I did do a lot of painting on parts after the loooong process of finish fab work. Seeing the parts painted and the frame cleaned up makes it all look so cool. After going over these pics, they just don't compare to the real deal. It looks so much better in person. Maybe a better camera would help with that. What do you guys think?

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Your doing a geat job o it and I can't wait to see the finished product and hopefully a video of it. Will you let me drive it? slkpk

·
Josh
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Haha, a lawnmower poker run is just like every other type of poker run except they go a lot slower! It usually takes place in a small town where the police or fire dept block off the roads where the tractors will be traveling. I have found that they usually are to raise money for a local cause such as the volunteer fire dept or something. They are actually becoming more popular and you can find some really neat tractors there. Basically, you pay something like $20 and get free food and drinks all day and ride around on your mower. When you stop, you chat with the other people there, have a drink or so, then get on and ride to the next stop. I'm not much of a drinker nor do I play poker... I'm just there for the tractors and seeing what everyone else has for a tractor

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sounds like a good time really, but I can't imagine you go very far....not at GT speeds.
I'll have to look out for one in Northern IN or within a reasonable drive.

·
Happy To Be Here
3,761 Posts
WOW, That is really an ambitious project.

Keep the pics coming.

·
Josh
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
This project has tore my garage apart. I can't wait to get it cleaned up. If you notice in one of the pictures, I have four pegs that are located on the outside of the rear guide wheels. Well, after finally having a chance to check how the tracks would work with the spacing of these pegs, I encountered a problem. So, I thought that I would have to make different sized rear guide wheels. Can anyone say MAJOR HEADACHE? But then I got an idea. I will shave off those pegs. I will also clean the outside ring of the guide wheels down to bare metal and expoxy a .25" x 1.25" strip of rubber all the way around the guide wheel. That way, the rubber will allow the guide to get grip on the track instead of using the pegs to drive the track. I know that sounds like a mess, but it should work out great.

I have yet to:
make the boogies and supporting structures for the boogies
mount a bracket under the front of the seat
make the brake controls that link to the steering wheel
make a center piece for the steering wheel
make the suspension for the rear axle
put the drive belt back on
tighten up the pully on the engine
fill the tank and give her a shot.

Guys, thanks for the comments. I have found this project to be really rewarding. I feel like this has allowed me to use a lot of my abilities. I can't wait for the next project!

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Keep up the great work on it and also let us know when and where the Tractor Poker Runs are at in advance if possible. slkpk

21 - 40 of 119 Posts