My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Josh
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is an old craftsman mower that I bought for $100. I repainted it caterpillar yellow, put a gas peddle on and took off the throttle. I got rid of the mower deck, built a push bar (very strong) and made a quick detach blade for it. It had regular tires and rims and I used it for lawnmower poker runs around here, but on the way home last time..... she fell off the trailer. So, we put her back on the trailer and took her home to assess the damage. The deck raise/lower handle (which now controls the front blade) was scuffed a little, the exhaust broke, but the 12" tall 3" round dual chrome stacks that stuck out of the hood were untouched. A front spindel and the front axle beam was bent. One rim was bent and the seat is now crooked. But, it didn't get a single scratch on the paint! Sure, it got a little dirty in the process of flipping over down the road, but at least it landed on all four wheels!

So, now the axles are out from under her. The exhaust will be fixed and put back as it was (I loved my stacks!) and the paint will remain yellow. She will soon have a polished diamond plate dash and floor boards. She will also be sporting some rubber crawler tracts. I am in the process of fabing the new hubs and wheels that will hold the tracks you see in the pic. Those tracks are a single arctic cat track cut right down the middle. I will use the stock drive train to power it, but will steer using hydraulic disk brakes on each side of the axle. Since it is an open axle (I never got around to welding it solid lol) I can turn by stopping one of the tracks while allowing the other to continue to move forward. I think I am going to use the steering wheel to control the braking force so it will still be driving much like a regular GT.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Were looking forward to the pics and keep us posted. slkpk

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts
great job :thThumbsU , we need more , don't stop now .:Stop:

shd

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
that's gonna be cool... I've saw a Cub 100 with crawlers, but they weren't rubber. That's going to be a nice tool (toy).

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Man that is going to be sweet. Definitely keep us posted on your build.

·
TE Writer!
1,732 Posts
that's gonna be cool... I've saw a Cub 100 with crawlers, but they weren't rubber. That's going to be a nice tool (toy).
yeah in the early to mid 60's they made a crawler kit, i heard back then they went for $2500.00-$3000.00 for the complete kit! I also seen a Cub Cadet 100 crawler, it was a 63' very cool! can't wait to see some pics of your progress!

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I am anxious as well to see how this project comes together.

I am very anxious to see how you work out the logistics of the undercarriage.

Please, more pics!

·
Registered
683 Posts
thats going to be sweeeeeet.

·
Josh
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So the story goes...

I had an employee with me. I drove my cub 2900 tlb and my worker drove my little Cat (the one in the pic). When we left the poker run in Tallula, IL and headed back home I had things strapped down well. We made it about three miles from town when I stopped to check the straps. I walked to the back of the trailer and noticed a problem. The cub was on the front of the trailer so I couldn't see the cat. The problem was that we were short one tractor. So, we turned around and drove till we saw this...

The cat was on all four wheels with just a bit of damage. We couldn't believe it didn't get hit by another car or that it survived the crash so well. So, we put her back on the trailer and drove home. Turns out I had some worn out straps cause they broke several more times before I got home (two hour drive). I almost lost that tractor a few times before I got her safely back in the garage at home. The other day I had some free time so I started with the teardown... which is what you see in the pictures. I am lookin forward to using my new plasma cutter on this (hypertherm 45).

This tractor is not a hydro... I wish it was and could convert it, but I don't want to dump a ton of money into it. It has a six speed transaxle. The disk brakes will be a custom setup. The transaxle will have custom mounts and the 7" pully on the transaxle will be replaced with something like a 3" pulley. Not only do I want this to go faster than stock, but I also have to compensate for going from 20" tall tires to 10 or 12" tall drive wheels. I still am not sure if I will make the wheels at the front of the tracks the same size as those in the rear or if I will give the tracks that raked look. Any suggestions?

This tractor has been mostly a toy for me but now that the tracks are going to be on it, it will be nothing but a toy. I can't wait to see how it does in the snow this winter!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Looks like a real neat project you have going there can't wait to see how it turns out.

What are the rubber tracks off of, a snowmoblie?

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
I once lost a Deere 400 going over some rough RR tracks. Had it roped on a 2wheel tilt trailer and had trusted someone helping me to relatch it. Checked it myself from then on.
It unlatched and tilted back and the 400 broke the rope like it wasn't even there and rolled to a stop.
Had no way to get it back up there so drove it to the side of the road, drove the truck the mile home walked back and drove the 400 home.
Had a cousin lose her bike from the back of their Motorhome. They don't even know what State it fell off in!

Attachments

·
Josh
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I just ordered the steel disks that will be used for the front and back "wheels" The rears are 18" tall and the fronts are 6" tall. I think they cost me about 130 for all of them. The steel wasn't so bad, but the cost of getting them cnc plazma cut was the kicker. I ordered a bunch of other steel with them though so I should have enough to get started fabbing them up tonight. I'll post more pics as things progress.

·
Josh
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Here are some updates for the mini cat. I am working on cutting the 3/4" bar stock for engaging the wheels to the tracks, but my band saw quit on me the other day. I'll be replacing the motor on that and getting back to it. I wanted to work on these more this weekend, but I started making some attachments for my cub. I'll post some pics in the "homemade tractors, implements, and accessories" section.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
This thing is on the Rockford, IL Craig's list this morning. Maybe there's something on it you could use.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts