My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
the local ford fan
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
this is my newest project . a 1996 jeep cherokee it has the 4.0l high output engine and 5 speed transmission . can anyone tell me what brand and model the tranny is in it ? . heres some photos of it . thanks for any comments and information

Attachments

·
the local ford fan
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks red , is that model any good?

·
the local ford fan
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks dodge trucker , is there a stronger model trans then the ax15 ?

·
Banned
283 Posts
Nice Cherokee ya got Ford, what are your plans for it?

I'm planning on a 3" and 31" MTR's for my 96 Cherokee in the next month or two.

·
the local ford fan
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks monster mudder , the plan is to get it running , then basicly what your going to do with yours , a 3" lift and some 31s , also i am thinking about maybe some home made bumpers and a winch

·
Banned
283 Posts
thanks monster mudder , the plan is to get it running , then basicly what your going to do with yours , a 3" lift and some 31s , also i am thinking about maybe some home made bumpers and a winch
Sounds like a plan, you might wanna check out http://www.jeepstrokers.com/cheepjeep/ They've got the entire Trucks Cheep Cherokee buildup on there from start to finish, lots of good ideas and advice that could help you with your Cherokee.

·
the local ford fan
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UP DATE , i have had the cherokee running twice and it seems to run pretty decent , i think it may need a new ignition coil as of it will start right up and run good for about 5 minutes give or take , then out of no where it will die , then i will try and restart it and it will just crank no fireing action , it won't even fire if i pour a little gas in the thottle body , but if i let it sit for a couple hours it will start right up again , also i have discovered some rust through in the passengers side roof right above where the top of the windshield is and go's back about 4-5'' 111210_001.jpg 111210_002.jpg , question A is this fixable , and B if so what is the best way to go about it , i know you can't tell much from just pictures but is this jeep worth putting the time and money into it to make it street legal ? , or should it be used as a trail beater , the only other real body rust on it is the rocker panels are some what rusted out but i think that will be pretty easy to fix , thanks for any comments

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
will be more work than it's worth, but it could be done cheap if you have the time.. you just need to cut out the bad and put in a donor peice. get a good clean peice off of a junker, get a nice and big peice. then cut yours back to good metal and trim the patch. mig weld it in, or you could do some pop rivits, leave some overlap and pop rivit it in. skim coat with some filler and block it back off and it'll be ok for a driver.. you may have some uglieness in the window channel, so you may want to remove the window if your considering repair..

·
Banned
283 Posts
When I got my Cherokee wrecked the previous owner flopped it on its side and pushed in the highlighted section here -

So we cut out the panel and welded a donor panel in. My computer crashed just after we did that so I don't have any pics but it can be done, just takes time and patience.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Check your crankshaft position sensor, its on the back of the engine near or on the bell housing.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,694 Posts
X2 on the crank sensor,they fail quite often on Jeeps and Mopars...

My friend recently bought a 96 Wrangler with a 4.0 someone had tried to install themselves,for 300 bucks!--the thing refused to start after the engine swap,the disgusted young owner then parked it under pine trees for 18 months..all that was wrong was the crank sensor wires happened to get smooshed between the bellhousing and the block when the motor was installed!..the sensor was bad too--we replaced it and got the wires out and patched up,now it runs great...too bad the like new 33" tires had dry rot cracks from sitting,and the nice rims were all rusty...it actually has a decent frame too,first one I have seen in awhile thats not all rotted to death!..

You could just patch over that roof rot,with some sheet metal and pop rivets and then bondo it..it might not be worth the effort to do a "professional" repair if it has rot elsewhere...the roof on my plow truck is worse--someone must have had a tree cave the roof in before I got it--huge chunks of bondo 1" thick started cracking off it a few years ago,and the metal is real rusty under it..(now I know why they put a Lund visor on it--to hide the damage!)..if I do anything to it,it'll just be lay more metal over it all and screw it down and put more bondo on it,as the rest of the truck is getting rusty all over,and isn't worth the effort and cost of splicing a new roof or cab onto it..

·
the local ford fan
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
will be more work than it's worth, but it could be done cheap if you have the time.. you just need to cut out the bad and put in a donor peice. get a good clean peice off of a junker, get a nice and big peice. then cut yours back to good metal and trim the patch. mig weld it in, or you could do some pop rivits, leave some overlap and pop rivit it in. skim coat with some filler and block it back off and it'll be ok for a driver.. you may have some uglieness in the window channel, so you may want to remove the window if your considering repair..
thanks for the advise

When I got my Cherokee wrecked the previous owner flopped it on its side and pushed in the highlighted section here -

So we cut out the panel and welded a donor panel in. My computer crashed just after we did that so I don't have any pics but it can be done, just takes time and patience.
thanks for the picture and information :trink39:

Check your crankshaft position sensor, its on the back of the engine near or on the bell housing.
ok i will check that out , how would i go about testing that sensor ? or is it just a replace it deal , i will probably get a shop manual for it soon but i thought id ask , thanks

X2 on the crank sensor,they fail quite often on Jeeps and Mopars...

My friend recently bought a 96 Wrangler with a 4.0 someone had tried to install themselves,for 300 bucks!--the thing refused to start after the engine swap,the disgusted young owner then parked it under pine trees for 18 months..all that was wrong was the crank sensor wires happened to get smooshed between the bellhousing and the block when the motor was installed!..the sensor was bad too--we replaced it and got the wires out and patched up,now it runs great...too bad the like new 33" tires had dry rot cracks from sitting,and the nice rims were all rusty...it actually has a decent frame too,first one I have seen in awhile thats not all rotted to death!..

You could just patch over that roof rot,with some sheet metal and pop rivets and then bondo it..it might not be worth the effort to do a "professional" repair if it has rot elsewhere...the roof on my plow truck is worse--someone must have had a tree cave the roof in before I got it--huge chunks of bondo 1" thick started cracking off it a few years ago,and the metal is real rusty under it..(now I know why they put a Lund visor on it--to hide the damage!)..if I do anything to it,it'll just be lay more metal over it all and screw it down and put more bondo on it,as the rest of the truck is getting rusty all over,and isn't worth the effort and cost of splicing a new roof or cab onto it..
thanks for the advise , i am going to give the body a thorough checking over before going on the hunt for a donor panel , i don't want to do alot of work to it then find out the whole undercarrage is rusted out , been there , done that

1 - 14 of 14 Posts