My Tractor Forum banner

My new YTS 4500...

20K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Danno77 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Took delivery on Saturday June 6th. I bought the bumper and cart with the tractor and the bumper came installed. I installed the sun shade and cooling system later (the latter 2 Father's Day gifts). Here are a few pics of my rig (taken with a Sony DSC H50):
Land vehicle Vehicle Lawn Mower Riding mower

Vehicle Lawn Grass Tree Lawn mower

Vehicle Automotive exterior Outdoor power equipment Car Bumper

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Scooter

Steering wheel Steering part Vehicle Plant Auto part

Land vehicle Vehicle Mower Lawn Lawn mower

I just finished the install of the cooling system the day before yesterday and have not used it yet so I can NOT report on its performance. With 105 degree days a cool mist sure SOUNDS good but, we will see how it works.

Mowin' Man :trink39:

See less See more
#2 ·
Up here this summer the only mister we've needed is the sky! Finally got a string of about 5 days with no rain, I might actually have to find the sprinkler. Your rig looks excellent and I'll be interested to hear your impressions of the mister and canopy. It sure seems like a good solution to deep southern heat, and the fact that those are Father's Day gifts makes them all the more special!

#4 · (Edited)
#8 ·
I finally got around to using the mister last Thursday. Here is my report:

- DOES cool you off - I found I liked it best aimed at my throat (probably good to cool down the carotid arteries);
- install was pretty easy and straight forward;
- reservoir lasts a pretty good amount of time;
- has an adjustment knob to get the mist just right;

DISLIKES:

- on off switch is pretty much directly behind your back (a potential fix for this would be to tie into the wiring harness under the dash and install a second switch on the dash);
- mist can be blown around by the wind - sometimes does not make it to your body!
- the mister head can wobble around a little bit on bumpy terrain - stays in place pretty well for the most part

I will try to get a pic of it in operation and post.

Mowin' Man :00000057:

#9 ·
Well, just returned from being gone for a week to Scout camp with my son. My daughter was trying to do me a favor and mow the lawn for me while I was gone. It ran out of gas and she went and grabbed the YELLOW gas can which says Diesel. You can guess the rest. :Stop:

I am guessing I need to drain the fuel tank, change the fuel filter, and try to empty out as much diesel fuel from the gas lines as possible.

Another ideas or advice would be much appreciated!

Mowin' Man :thanku:

#10 ·
Congrats on the sweet machine and I like the Mister Idea... Sorry about the diesel though... I would drain the tank, change the filter, and pull the fuel line off at the carb, drain it, and pull the bowl off too. Fill it with fresh gas, and see if it fires.

#11 ·
Appreciate it GT 80 - that's what I was thinking and hoping for too!

#12 ·
Bought a siphon/pump that happened to accept the diameter of the fuel line - got all of the diesel pumped out, replaced the fuel filter, filled her with 87 octane and a little Seafoam and got her runnin' again just like new.

Smoked a little at first until all of the diesel was burned off but, after that no problems.

Mowin' Man :fing32:

#13 ·
I pick up my YTS4500 from my father-in-law in a couple of weeks. he is moving to the mountains and doesn't need it anymore. I got a pretty good deal on it (I thought). He told my wife that it needs a new tire (not sure what's wrong, not sure what tire).

Anyway, I just wondered how this mower has been to you now that you've had it a couple of years. Dad's is in mint condition. His has the Kohler motor, too, but I am pretty sure it has a smaller deck (42" I think).

#15 ·
Danno77,

Sorry for the late reply - just now noticied you resurrected this thread!

No problems with the mower over the past 2 years other than my daughter filling it up with diesel while I was out of town - but that was remedied. The deck belt has come off a couple of times but, easily put back on. I have had to jump it a couple of times due to long periods of non-use in cold weather. Just standard preventive maint. and you're good to go. Congrats on the good deal.

Book 'em Danno.

#14 ·
That is very similar to my Craftsman Pro YT, except mine has a Briggs ELS engine. I've had mine since '08 and it has been great both winter and summer. The only "serious" problem I've had with it is that if you snowblow when it is wet, then it freezes, sometimes the starter will freeze up. 5 mins with a hairdrier on the starter and it fires right up.

#16 ·
Awesome timing on the reply. I'm at work right now, but the mower is sitting in my truck out in the parking lot.

Mine has a 20hp Kohler and he threw in one of those garden plastic trailer deals. Whole deal is 550, so not too bad.

First impression is that the mower is sloooow. Gives the impression of a weak mower, but we threw a soggy hot tub lid on there and towed it up the hill, couldn't even tell it was there. I'm hoping is means the transmission is just designed to be so slow.

The 20hp Kohler is fairly quiet compared to my JDs Kawasaki, maybe making me feel like it's weak. Time will tell.

I hate turf saver tires, they are useless for my applications, so they will be the first to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.