My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found it locally and it is in pretty good shape. It has the 27hp Briggs and the 54" deck. I sold the other one that I just bought last week for this one.

I kept the sleeve hitch from the other GT but it is the kind that hooks to the deck lift arm and the plow is heavy to lift. Does the other sleeve hitch style with the handle on the side make it easier? I am not paying $500 for the electric option. I also have a craftsman plow and disc for it.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,266 Posts
very nice!!! You get a good deal on it>?

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I got a good deal. After a new deck belt and blades and a few other odds/ends I will be at about $750 on it. I really don't like all the safety junk on it and having to move the ign key to mow in reverse. I also removed the carb soleniod as it was sticking sometimes. The gas tank has some junk in it and I am removing it and draining/cleaning today. It runs good though. I could almost convert the deck deflector into a snow plow it is so large

·
Old as Sin
2,187 Posts
I found it locally and it is in pretty good shape. It has the 27hp Briggs and the 54" deck. I sold the other one that I just bought last week for this one.

I kept the sleeve hitch from the other GT but it is the kind that hooks to the deck lift arm and the plow is heavy to lift. Does the other sleeve hitch style with the handle on the side make it easier? I am not paying $500 for the electric option. I also have a craftsman plow and disc for it.
Not for me , i added a cheap hf winch to the back , no down pressure as the electric option would have , but with the winch i can add weight to the rear blade to help in digging .

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the Avitar Ken.

As for the winch, I have thought about that. Down pressure would not be an issue due to the weight of the plow, also just about all tractors do not have down force on 3pt hitches.

Bill

·
Registered
281 Posts
congrats on your GT5000..

I think that this series of GT5000, ones with the non-step through design, are the best in the series of GT. But then again, I am partial.. heheheh

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
congrats on your GT5000..

I think that this series of GT5000, ones with the non-step through design, are the best in the series of GT. But then again, I am partial.. heheheh
Do your GT5000s have frame rails rather then stamped frames?
Cause my GT6000 has frame rails.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I've always liked the tough looks of that machine.
I would have to do some customizing on that ugly deflector.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agreee, the deflector is hidious.

GG GT5000, do you have a closeup pic of your deflector and what does your parts book show for a part # on it? Mine shows 187257X428 deflector shield. I wonder if I could order one like yours or if they have a different style. I had a neighbor that had a 46" deck and found a 42" chute at the dump and it attached, he said about all the decks were the same.

Bill

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have both the 48" and 54" decks. The 54 seems to be twice the size as the 48". Never tried to swap them out. Anytime I get into close quarters, I just reach over and grab it and lift up out of the way. BTW, what's the model number of your GT5000? I'd like to check out the specs on the 27HP Briggs.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is a model 917.276341

I have just listed it in the classifieds. I found a JD 400 the next day that needs an engine and going to use the $$$ from this one for engine replacement. I ended up right at $1000 into this one with new spindles/blades and some missing deck parts. It mows great, the JD is just a much larger tractor.

thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts