My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys I finally bought my first John Deere tractor. I saw this unit on Kijiji and when I checked the photos out I could see it was hardly ever used. I picked the package up for 2500.00 with the snow blower tractor and mower attachment. I asked StLadrill for some advice on the unit and I bit the bullet and I bought it. It needed some adjustments. The wear bars weren't set right and the cutting blade was dragging on the pavement so I had to set the height after the first time out. I really like the speed of the tractor as I have to travel half a block to my parents house down a snow covered street. First time out I threw a chain because they weren't installed right...they are now! I sure wish I could put more weights on for traction. I'm fairly light and I think I could use more weight but the manual says no more than the 80 pound rear weights. After reading the forums the only thing that concerns me is the K46 transmission! I plan on using synthetic oil for the engine and I sure would like to get synthetic in the transmission. I have used it five times since I bought it as we are having the winter from **** this year. It does a great job. I blow the driveways of a couple of seniors plus my parents and I can blow four driveways from 6AM and have them all done by 7:30 including wiping the unit down and still have time to have a quick breakfast and head to work. I'll never go back to a walk behind EVER! I think my old Berco throws the snow further but the John Deere blower does a great job including blowing away the plow pile at the front of the driveway. My parents are the first driveway after the corner and they get loaded. I was worried but the plastic chute handled it. Not sure how it will fare with the hard pack though. The Berco was a steel chute. Word has it we are expecting 10-15cm of snow tomorrow. Let it snow let it snow let it snow!:thThumbsU

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Nice machine! I didn't realize the snow blower for the 110 was so big, no wonder you get done so fast! An LA 110 was our first JD machine and we really liked it. We switched over to synthetic oil and oddly enough, it ran noticeably quieter and smoother. We picked up one of the soft canopies for it and that really made mowing on a sunny day much more pleasant. My wife LOVED that little tractor.

We wound up using the 110 for more than we thought we would: hauling wood, dirt, rocks and mowing our field etc. From hanging out on these forums we realized we needed something more heavy duty. I was worried about that K46 too, I did not want to damage it with too heavy of a load. We replaced the 110 with a JD425. I now regret selling the 110, it would have been handy to have a second tractor just for mowing and that one was a gem.

my wife on her 110

Good luck with your new machine and don't sell it!

Eric

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
Congrats Wit2 :fing02:

I see that the snowblower has the old model gear box, that's good, the newer one are made from cheap aluminum.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys and you too Monsieur stladrill for your opinion on this rig. I picked it up just after you replied. Thanks gor your input.I plan on switching to synthetic oil for the engine before I lay it up for the summer. This rig will only be used for blowing snow. It came with a mower but I'll never use it. I'd love to get synthetic in the transmission but it's a little out of my league. Perhaps stladrill will visit me in the Soo and I'll take him walleye fishing after he changed the oil in the tranny!

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,443 Posts
Looks like a nice snow moving machine. Enjoy!

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
Thanks guys and you too Monsieur stladrill for your opinion on this rig. I picked it up just after you replied. Thanks gor your input.I plan on switching to synthetic oil for the engine before I lay it up for the summer. This rig will only be used for blowing snow. It came with a mower but I'll never use it. I'd love to get synthetic in the transmission but it's a little out of my league. Perhaps stladrill will visit me in the Soo and I'll take him walleye fishing after he changed the oil in the tranny!
I'm glad that you are happy, The oil change on the transaxle it's not hard to do, few bolts to unscrew and the tranny is off the tractor.

If you decide to do it, I'll be there (read here on the forum :D) to assist you.

The other option is to bring the machine to me, I'm not far from the Ontario line. :trink39:

·
blinged out
1,381 Posts
I'm happy to hear that setup works for you! I was a little surprised to see it works ok! The 44" blower feels very heavy on my 500, just didn't think the 110 had enough meat on the bone to operate that blower!
I would suggest a very strict p/maintenance program for it to stay healthy,that front axle is going to need lots of lubing to carry the blower around, and take it easy on the travel speed while blowing!:trink39:

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Congrats on your first new John Deere. :fing32: Enjoy the seat time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello Donmac ... Yeah after surfing the posts here I have a healthy respect for the LA110. I'll be sure to lube the front end. The blower feels heavy to lift but so far so good. The unit seemed to handle the snowfalls we had lately. The previous owner told me it was bought in 2007 and the blower was bought the same year. With a little luck I might be able to update to a heavier duty JD tractor in the future. I'll only be using this tractor for snow blowing. I very seldom take a full cut unless the snow is light and fluffy. Half cut or less.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
I'm happy to hear that setup works for you! I was a little surprised to see it works ok! The 44" blower feels very heavy on my 500, just didn't think the 110 had enough meat on the bone to operate that blower!
I would suggest a very strict p/maintenance program for it to stay healthy,that front axle is going to need lots of lubing to carry the blower around, and take it easy on the travel speed while blowing!:trink39:
The 44" snowblower on a L,LA series is about 70~75 pounds less that the one going on the X3__ X5__ series.

They don't use the gearbox on those.

X3 & X5 gearbox

L,LA configuration.

·
blinged out
1,381 Posts
I've never seen that La model blower, looks like belt changes are a project! seeing that I would be pulling and lubing shafts and pulleys[off season just to make sure things don't get seized up! nothing worse than needing a belt change in the middle of a storm and a torch is required!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Guys I finally bought my first John Deere tractor. I saw this unit on Kijiji and when I checked the photos out I could see it was hardly ever used. I picked the package up for 2500.00 with the snow blower tractor and mower attachment. I asked StLadrill for some advice on the unit and I bit the bullet and I bought it. It needed some adjustments. The wear bars weren't set right and the cutting blade was dragging on the pavement so I had to set the height after the first time out. I really like the speed of the tractor as I have to travel half a block to my parents house down a snow covered street. First time out I threw a chain because they weren't installed right...they are now! I sure wish I could put more weights on for traction. I'm fairly light and I think I could use more weight but the manual says no more than the 80 pound rear weights. After reading the forums the only thing that concerns me is the K46 transmission! I plan on using synthetic oil for the engine and I sure would like to get synthetic in the transmission. I have used it five times since I bought it as we are having the winter from **** this year. It does a great job. I blow the driveways of a couple of seniors plus my parents and I can blow four driveways from 6AM and have them all done by 7:30 including wiping the unit down and still have time to have a quick breakfast and head to work. I'll never go back to a walk behind EVER! I think my old Berco throws the snow further but the John Deere blower does a great job including blowing away the plow pile at the front of the driveway. My parents are the first driveway after the corner and they get loaded. I was worried but the plastic chute handled it. Not sure how it will fare with the hard pack though. The Berco was a steel chute. Word has it we are expecting 10-15cm of snow tomorrow. Let it snow let it snow let it snow!:thThumbsU
Can you tell me the model and serial number of the snow blower attachment? Local dealer says they only made the blower unit for the LA110 in 2007 and there is a limited serial number for that unit. Would like to find just the blower and not have to buy a now tractor as well.
Thank you
Ruben

1 - 12 of 12 Posts