My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found and bought a Kohler 8HP Horse today.

It started on the third pull. Electric starter spun, but did not engage.

All paint original, decals good, no smoke from engine, moved forward perfectly, no reverse (missing second belt, I believe), tines good and still have some red paint.

Seller had his dad's original receipt (March 29, 1986 - $1481.93 out the door). Also, had Owner's Manual, Kohler Manual Supplement, Kohler Manual, Parts Catalog and much more.

I believe I stole this unit and am very pleased.

Serial Number: 802253
Engine: K181

I welcome any and all advice from you experts as to what I should do to prepare for use, etc, etc.

Does my serial number coincide with the 1986 year of purchase?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Banned
297 Posts
I got one 8 hp kohler magnum,believe its about a 93-94,bought it new,been running it[alot at first] every year since,put new gas tank,tires and tines on it,thats it,mines not electic start.
Mines only got one belt,you move it to the second grooves for higher or lower speeds,you need a owners manual,they are very good and detailed with pictures.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You have to hold the shift handle up to make it go in reverse. I have my fathers mid 80 troy-built so far its had two sets of tines on it 4 tires and i dont know how many belts and just put a new carb on it , runs like a top one or two pulls and its running. good looking tiller you have good luck :trink39:

·
Joe
1,224 Posts
"I welcome any and all advice from you experts as to what I should do to prepare for use, etc, etc."

Well, I'm not the expert here and I can't ask for your serial number and tell you the year your unit was made but as to "preparing for use" simply let common sense prevail. I'd change the motor oil, check and service the air cleaner, lube all the places your manual tells you to lube with the proper lubricant etc. Check for too much tine play. Check hi-lo range and forward- reverse controls etc. The maintenance section in your manual guides you through all of this. Take your time and familiarize yourself with your machine. You have just bought one of the finest pieces of garden equipment ever made in the U.S. Ask Questions in here. We'll try our best to help. By the way, the SERIAL number is on the top right hand side of the trans case. The serial number will help out but really there weren't tons of changes made. The three models are 2 speed Horse, 4 speed Horse and PTO model. As I said I'm sure no expert by a long shot but I believe these are the three main models.You have all the info you need right at your fingertips if you have the manuals.
Joe
Nice tiller you bought!

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
That's just like mine as well, minus the electric start, normally, it will start on the 1st or 2nd pull of the rope.
It should have one belt if i'm not mistaken, hold up on the reverse handle as you use it. If it dosen't move, the reverse disc could be out.
The manual tells you how to adjust the tension on the belt & hopefully you got the belt tension tool with it, if not, you can use a Phillips head screwdriver, mic it to make sure it is the right diameter to do so.

Ronnie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts