My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy of mine just recently passed away so I was offered this machine by his daughter. Of course I wasn't about to turn it down. I don't know much about it other than has a new motor on it that isn't suppose to be on it. It runs, so thats all that matters. Wonder if my snow plow from my homelite would fit on it. Looks like it would but haven't tried it yet.

Allis Chalmers 620

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
That tractors had a rough life but you still can't beat the price. Its considered a "powermax" series. I suspect from the white dash it might not be a 620. It could have been the Simplicity version that someone threw an AC hood onto. Unfortunately the homelite blade is different. I suspect the mounting points will be too narrow. These tractors had much larger hydraulic blades.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Urgent help needed. Went to go pick this up. I can't get it running. I know it runs because I have seen it run before. I got it to crank over but only by jumping to the stater selenoid. Wouldn't fire. I was able to lift the rear attachment while trying to jump it. But being hydrostat the rear tires are locked. How can I unlock them? I know my homelite has a lever to put it in neutral so it can be rolled around. I can't find one on this beast. If I can free up the rear tires I will load it onto a trailer and fiddle with it later at home.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
I really like those tractors and good luck with it. slkpk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I got it on a trailer. Back tires would roll but it was tough. NO match for a winch lol. Anyway here are some photos I just took of it.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Its rough but a nice score none the less. So whats the plan? It mite be a little to far gone for a full retso, but it will defiantly be a nice work tractor. Hows the charging system with the gm alt. on it?

·
Registered
419 Posts
It's a Simplicity, with a cut up hood on it. Originals had Onan engines, if the Briggs was put in right and is in good shape it's not a bad deal at all!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It will just be a work tractor. I found a plow for it and snow blower on craigslist for $100 each. I couldn't tell you anything about the charging system since I can't get it to run. So many wires spliced here and there that I need to completely go over the electrical system. It is suppose to run but the guy had a special trick to starting it. I'll figure it out but it's going to take a bit to look it over.

As of right now I am not getting spark.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
Its rough but a nice score none the less. So whats the plan? It mite be a little to far gone for a full retso, but it will defiantly be a nice work tractor. Hows the charging system with the gm alt. on it?
To far gone for a resto??? Looks perfect for a resto! BTW... congrats on the new t you tractor.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I am stuck. I am getting no spark at all. Can't get it to crank over with the push button. Only way it will crank is by jumping the selenoid. I think it is time to break it down and redo the wiring completely. I just dont understand it. I put the jumpers on the battery. I can then Flip the toggle on the dash and it turns power on to everything. I have 2 light toggles which I have narrowed down to that's all those toggles are for. So I have a main switch which energizes everyting and then a kill toggle which i'm assuming should work. Then from there I have 2 push buttons. One is mounted in the dash that says ST on it. Assuming that was to start it. But I have a push button that is hanging and I did trace that back and it goes to the selenoid. I have a feeling there is a toggle somewhere that I am not seeing and that could be why I'm not getting spark. This is turning into a wiring nightmare.

Oh and to top it off I set it on fire lol. Fuel pump grounded out and kicked on but never shut off and flooded the carb causing it to overflow. So when I went to jump the selenoid it went poof!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I believe all of those Briggs twins had magneto ignition, so if you disconnect the switch and jump the solenoid it should have spark. If you put 12v to the coil, its fried.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I found the wire that comes out of the coil and was bolted to the top of the motor. I unhooked that and still no spark.

What is the bare minimum wiring this thing would need to run? I'll strip it down and just get it to run for now and worry about adding the lights back later.

·
Registered
486 Posts
If you disconnect the ground or kill wire from the coil it should have spark. If that motor is the older style with points, you also will have to check to see if they're still in good condition.
They began making the 16hp twin in 1977, they added Magnatron ignition in 1982/83.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As of right now there is nothing new with it. I took the ground wire off the coil and still don't have spark. So I am going to replace the coil and try again. Been busy with work so haven't had much time to mess with it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got it running today. Replaced the coil off another briggs motor and it fired right up. Still some problems though. Fuel pump floods the carb and stalls the GT. I've also started to rewire it as well. As of right now I have no lights hooked up and no kill switch. I did hook up the pump on a toggle switch and also hooked up a starter button. That's as far as I have done today.

Here is the youtube video I put up showing the tractor running. Since the fuel pump keeps flooding the carb I put it on a toggle switch and just turn it on and off for a few seconds every 30 seconds or so. This is not me on the tractor but it's a buddy of mine.

http://youtu.be/7ly5XH29gY4

Below are photo's that I have edited to make notation of certain things.

This is a gm alt and I am not sure where the other wire went to before ripping out all the old wiring.

Is this wiring right?

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Glad to hear it's semi running.
On the alternator wiring, the white wire you have needs to go to a hot switch with some type of resistance in the middle of it, i.e. a small indicator light, kind of helps regulate charging. Here is a link that describes hook up, can't help ya on the solenoid wiring.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=218404&highlight=alternator

1 - 20 of 23 Posts