My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home from work today when a speck of Lawn-Boy green caught my eye. The mower was about half way under the ladies front porch with weeds grown up all around it. I took a chance and stopped to ask if she had planned to do anything with it; "yeah, I'm having a yard sell tomorrow and planned to sell it". So, 15 bucks later and I'm the new owner of a 7268.

The shroud is badly faded and the wheels are just a little wobbly, but all in all I think it was a good find.
First thing I did was check the tank for old gas. Seeing that it was bone dry I went ahead and put some fresh mix in. Thought about checking the bowl first, but decided to take a chance crank it a few times just to see. Nothing. Pulled the spark plug and it was pretty toasted. Somehow this thing was still sparking, just not strong enough apparently.

I popped in a new plug and give her a pull.....presto, fired up first try and smoothed out nicely after a few seconds.

Is there anything to be learned from the condition of the old plug? Is it an indication of something that needs replaced or repaired?

·
Administrator
21,553 Posts
Good find, WV.

There was a thread within the past 6 mos. or so about putting brass bushings in wobbly wheels. Sounded like a nice alternative to replacements. Probably never have to change them again.

Welcome to MTF! We'll expect some regular updates on your mower.

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
Welcome! I found one just like that a month or so back. I restored it!

I also gave the bronze bushings a shot, they work well! Just have to be pretty carefull when drilling out the hole, a drill press works best, but even still have to clamp the wheel down to keep the hole centered and straight. Once done they were like new and made the mower push much easier since the wheels were all going in the same direction!

The white fade on over the tank can be cleaned up too. I don't know all the tricks, but I tried rubbing compound, it helped some, then tried some 400 grit sandpaper. That worked pretty well. I "treated" the plastic with a product called Fluid Film. It's a lubricant but also shines plastic pretty nicely as it absorbs into the plastic. My tank now is just a little darker green/brownish over the tank, but not anywhere as ugly as when I started.

That plug dosn't look to bad really. You were lucky the coil was still good. Mine was not!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Is there anything to be learned from the condition of the old plug? Is it an indication of something that needs replaced or repaired?
The condition of the plug can tell you many things. Like if you're running lean or rich. Make sure you have the correct heat range plug and have fun. The 7268 is one of the best IMO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts