My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I just thought I'd share some pics of the Hydro-Trac I just got off of fellow MTF'er dstephens. I really like this thing so far, I'm not used to the way these hydros work yet but I'll get there lol. And I have a quick question for the die-hards out there (James and Hugh), did this tractor come with a vinyl seat or pan seat originally? On to the pics!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Very nice! I love my Hydro-Tracs.

Your rear wheels are on backwards, BTW. The Hydro rear axle is wider so the wheels are flipped around the other way.
Might want to consider some bracing for the stack if there isn't already something in place to support the weight. I have pictures of what I did if you're interested.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
49 Posts
My Hydro-Trac had a white vinyl seat on it. or should i say what was left of a white vinyl seat. i have recently added a pan seat that i got cheap. i am enjoying hearing about the other hydro-tracs on here. if anyone figures out the process for changing the trans axle oil please let me know.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
Vinyl covered seat. Yours appears to be original, however most I have seen were white

·
That there's worth fixin'
1,892 Posts
Cool Cadillac, er, I mean Hydrotrac. The Cadillac of the Sears back in the day. What the bigger men bought. lol. Would be exellent with the rotospader attachment since it can slow to a crawl so good. Not so much a big fan of the stack but do love the Hydrotracs. Wheels maybe should be inverted to fit right imo.

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
As far as changing the transaxle oil, I believe you just unscrew the finned cover on the bottom and let it drain out that way. There is a vent tube behind the left rear tire, by the fender, that you can remove and then unscrew the fitting that it was connected to that will give you a hole big enough to get a small funnel into so you can refill it.

There are a variety of acceptable fluids that Sundstrand says you can use - ATF, motor oil, and hydraulic oil. Do you have the manual for the transaxle?

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was actually thinking about getting a pan seat for it for now, at least till i can get a white vinyl seat for it. Thanks for the info on the seat, and I was also going to ask about changing the hydro fluid as well.

The stack was a low cost quickie (I bend custom exhaust at my auto shop and get tubing and mufflers at cost) , so I could run and tune the engine since when I bought the tractor it had no exhaust. The PO said that it didn't run well under a load, and the local small engine shop didn't have any decent mufflers to fit the 1" NPT port in the block. So I just fabbed up a quick stack so I could try the engine at a load.

I am really starting to like this tractor, and fear I may keep it and sell the one in my avatar.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts

white vinyl seat. Nice machine!!!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure how you guys can sit on a cold metal seat when it gets below freezing!
Well I don't know about the rest of them, but I usually wear pants and maybe cover-alls when I'm plowing snow lol. It's not that bad.

And to all that mentioned the wheels being on backwards, I know they are, I switched them because the back side of the wheels (dished side) are extremely filthy. I wanted that side out so I can clean tham as best I can with the pressure washer when she gets her first bath soon.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks GT!! I wonder if mine could be a 69? The PO said it was a 72.

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,270 Posts
69-72 look pretty much the same. i was using it for reference

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got to looking at the vintage sears site and the '69 is the only year pictured that has the teal decals on the hood, all other years had red lettering. So I'm thinking it may actually be a '69. Thanks again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts