My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked it up today for $150, no attachments but it runs! Were already off to a better start than if I had picked up one of the two non running narrow frames I already looked at. Has a new battery, new exhaust and what looks like a new Carter Model N carb, not sure if that's anything significant.

I drove it around for like 15 minutes and shut it off, I noticed the starter generator was quite warm, is this common or is that going to need rebuilding? Probably the first thing I'm going to do is fix the throttle, one of the previous owners hacked the throttle by installing an aftermarket throttle on the side of the console, that's going to get fixed right using the original lever.

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
i have a friend with a 100, and his s/g needed to be rebuilt once he got it.

i have one for sale cheap if you are interested

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I'm going to run with this for a while unless it starts giving me problems, thanks though.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
The S/G by its normal function, creates energy and thus there is some heat. Next, it sits next to a warm motor. Thus, there is some heat to this by two means.

If the S/G is generating the proper voltage (13.7VDC) and amperage (15A Max) and keeps your battery charged, then most likely there is no issue.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The battery is brand new so we'll see if it stays charged. I'm thinking some performance mods are in order for this winter, a bigger bore and a longer stroke sound like fun, gotta check if its the K301 block or not.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 102 came off the assembly line with a Kohler K-241.
True, all of the 102's were 10hp and had the same bore, but some of them used the K301 (12hp) block, at least that's what the internet says!

Thanks for the info guys, seems like the S/G running hot is perfectly acceptable.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One of the previous owners of this tractor was definitely a hacker, but I'm going to fix it right. Took the air cleaner cover off, the filter looks pretty much brand new as well as the carb, Carter #26. Fixed the throttle, got rid of that stupid after market throttle that was held onto the dash with a lag bolt! It seems the governor is not working so I have to figure out how to adjust that.

·
^_^
65 Posts
That's a good deal.

And yes it's normal for the generator/starter to run hot.. but it's mostly from the engine. I was mowing under a tree and two pears fell inbetween the engine and generator and they were bubbling juice by the time I found them. :fing32:

·
16,525 Posts
Good enough.......:fing32:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts