My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bolens never did it so I am going to try it myself. I figure why not pair the best blower with one of the best garden tractors. I picked up this 36" Ariens Snow Blower attachment for $100 this morning. Its in great shape and according to the owner has not been used on a decade or so. It was just sitting in his backyard for all that time. The Ariens tractor was long gone. Ariens made this version for their smaller tractors and a 48" version for their GT18, GT20, and Grand Sierra tractors. The larger versions are more expensive from what I have been researching. I will obviously need to make a mounting bracket to attach it to the front axle but the harder part of the project will be to come up with a way to reverse the PTO input. The blower needs a clockwise input whereas the Tube Frame PTO is counterclockwise when facing the blower. This should be fairly straight forward if I can make my own mule drive using a chain and sprockets.

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
That is such a great idea. I would absolutely love to make a 2 stage for one of my tubeframes. I am very familiar with the old school Toro walk behinds. I may look into making a tubeframe blower out of one of those someday. Please keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I am also looking forward to seeing this. I bought a similar blower with the intentions of putting it on a Bolens someday.

Jason

·
Registered
282 Posts
Looking forward to another informative and entertaining modification.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
The Bolens 2 stage is a good blower but it is sooooooo danged heavy. You almost need duals on the front, and even then it is hard on bearing and spindles. Strange that they (Bolens) never made a 2 stage for a tube frame.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This Ariens is actually not all that heavy. I would venture to say it is maybe 150 lbs or so. I think this snowblower will work well with the power of my Vanguard. Its has about double the torque of the original Wisconsin so I am anxious to get this built and ready for a nice winter snow.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
You will love a SB. There will be no banks and you can move a mountain of snow with them. Just be sure you put a shear pin in it somewhere.

·
Deceased Member
2,028 Posts
Looks like an interesting project. I'm not sure just what advantage a 2 stage vs single stage blower is. I know that on the "Joe Haban Story" video, one of the factory folks was saying that the single stage was better. I guess it might depend on how much and what type snow you have to deal with.

The other thing I noticed was that DE-THATCHER !!
Dang, that SUUUUUREEEE would look nice on my 1256/EZ-VAC combo :eck21:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
The easiest way to change rotation might be to change the worm and drive gears from left hand to right hand, or vice versa. If it is possible to find the needed sizes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts