My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Went and picked this up this past weekend.
nice looking i got one with that b and s motor i love it, i like that rear end better than the newer ones i dont have one yet but one day i might nice machine do you know the year

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
i think that may be a country sqire but i dont know enough about them to say for sure. nice tractor though

·
Still plays with tractors
2,290 Posts
Post the serial number and whether or not the tag says Country Squire and we'll tell you the year. I think this is a very early 50's Economy. Possibly even very late 40's.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Post the serial number and whether or not the tag says Country Squire and we'll tell you the year. I think this is a very early 50's Economy. Possibly even very late 40's.
i think its a 50 suttin' if it was a 40s wouldn't it have a chain steer? i guessed they started using a box in mid 50s. i never put much thought into it as i knew i would never find an answer.

·
Registered
585 Posts
i think its fifty's i believe that rear end was manufactured by ford least thats what ive been told its got a mighty bull gear in it would be a good machine to pull be even better if it had two trannys and that rearend

·
2,290 Posts
49's did not have chain steer. Also, this one had the old mounting for the seat, much like the chain steers did. It could be older but with the steering upgrade that the company offered if you wanted to get away from the chain steer. I don't think this one has brakes unless they are the kind where the pedals are within the framework. If it doesn't have brakes at all, it very well could be a modified 46 because, as far as I know, 46 was the only year they didn't put brakes on them.

·
2,290 Posts
Nope, I was wrong, it does have brakes. I see them now in the pics. It must have the in board pedals which doesn't necessarily make it a Country Squire but it increases the possibility.

·
2,290 Posts
i think its fifty's i believe that rear end was manufactured by ford least thats what ive been told its got a mighty bull gear in it would be a good machine to pull be even better if it had two trannys and that rearend
That is a Ford rear end and the very first PK in 46 had that same rear end.

·
Registered
638 Posts
My records show that 48 was the last year for chain steer and the wishbone front axles were used in 1950 and possibly changed to kingpin in late 50's going by some sales brochures.I have a 51 CS with kingpins.

I am not sure when the Ford rear was stopped being used.That drawbar end is bolted on,not sure when they started welding it on.Not sure about anything.

One good source says a keyed steering wheel was used until 1958 when the went with a splined shaft.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
so is that brake setup factory or homemade? it looks like it has two things under the seat. and is that a toolbox by the engine? did they offer those? its pretty cool to have it either way

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Small problem, the tag is missing. I was told that it is a 52 but who knows really. The engine is a 1959 (serial number 665781) so eather the po had the year wrong or its not the original engine. Here are the attachments that came with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so is that brake setup factory or homemade? it looks like it has two things under the seat. and is that a toolbox by the engine? did they offer those? its pretty cool to have it either way
Brakes are factory as far as I know, and yes it is a toolbox dont know if it is factory or not.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Small problem, the tag is missing. I was told that it is a 52 but who knows really. The engine is a 1959 (serial number 665781) so eather the po had the year wrong or its not the original engine. Here are the attachments that came with it.
i dont know when they started doing it but they did stamp the serial number on the frame were your feet go, i dont know what side its on so youll have too look around to see if its there. the PO could be wrong or the engine could be different... or both, it may very well be neither of those 2 years. looks like you got quite a few attachments, sickle bar seems to be a real jackpot, but that's cause i want one. the tool box looks almost factory but...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i dont know when they started doing it but they did stamp the serial number on the frame were your feet go, i dont know what side its on so youll have too look around to see if its there. the PO could be wrong or the engine could be different... or both, it may very well be neither of those 2 years. looks like you got quite a few attachments, sickle bar seems to be a real jackpot, but that's cause i want one. the tool box looks almost factory but...
I think they only stamped the serial number on the frame once they put the tunnel over the trasmission and drive shaft.

·
2,290 Posts
I think they only stamped the serial number on the frame once they put the tunnel over the trasmission and drive shaft.
I believe you are correct in what you say there. It wasn't even done on all of them. It just depended on who worked the line that shift. I had one where the serial number was scratched on the frame, not stamped. Never saw one stamped. I would think that would take more than the allowed time. It's something that the person did, not the company. The serial number was always placed under the left foot.

I am willing to bet that the tractor is a 1952 but we'll see how this shakes out.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hi,

In order to add to my learning/frustation experience with Economy tractors:

When did belly mowers become popular or available?

When did the front wheels become the 12" 5 bolt type?
I realize the JD's had the spindle mount 8"? size.

I've also heard that the "Ford" style rear end stopped being used in 1960-1961 era. Was there a ratio difference between the Ford and Dana?

I'm currently negotiating on a 1956(at least by tag on bellhousing) Economy
with a Wsiconsin and it appears to be all original.

In my opinion I wouldn't be surprised if this tractor is indeed the same year as the engine (1959).

chuckbob

1 - 20 of 37 Posts