My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my JS36 for about 3 years now, and while it's been pretty good, (besides the readystart system), I started looking for one of the older JD's, which seem to have a good following here. I stumbled across this 1999 JX85 below.
It was a four hour round trip, and cost $300, but I think it was worth it as it should last longer than the JS36.
Can't believe how quiet the engine is compared to the briggs, and the bail system is so much better (less effort) than the mowmentum of the newer JD's. :fing32: I can see why commercial users prefer the bail, as it feels like your just walking instead of "lightly" pushing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Looks great and well taken care of. The Kawasaki is super quiet and is just a nice engine all-around. You'll probably start looking at Briggs as a cruder, rougher engine. The JX85 drive system is 10 times better than the new Mowmentum/Personal Pace designs. And with 5 useful gears, you can pick the right speed for just about any job.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
That deck design looks a lot like the Lawn Boy M series. Is the quality of cut comparable, but without the high maintenance cost due to parts being so rare?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The difference between a JS & a JX is night & day, the quality of John Deere mowers declined when John Deere stopped making the JX, SB, etc with the Kawasaki engines.
It's like night and day side to side... I know the JS series is a Snapper-Briggs... Did John Deere make the SB/JX series or did another company make it for them?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
That deck design looks a lot like the Lawn Boy M series. Is the quality of cut comparable, but without the high maintenance cost due to parts being so rare?
I've never used the M but the cut is excellent and parts aren't too bad. The M has a lot more gadgets so I bet it's tougher to work on. AFAIK, these mowers are 100% Deere. They certainly weren't rebranded like lots of Deere walkbehinds.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'm personally glad John Deere got out of the walk behind mower business if they were just going to put their name on someone else's equipment, lack of quality on the JS line of Deere mowers.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Oh, they've done that numerous times. Actually, I think the SB/JX was one of the few mowers Deere actually built! They had mowers made by Toro, Snapper, and Lawn Boy in the past and who know who makes their newer stuff.

·
Registered
300 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I think JD pulled out of the walkbehind market. The WE80/85 was built by Eastman and it was pulled quickly because of numerous issues.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts